<3000 Fine tune my 2500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Fine tune my 2500

I got most my army down to what I like, but I just can't find a place I absolutely love to put my lv2 wizard. Or how to equip him. He's basically the thing that jumps out at me for not fitting. I thought putting him on a steed with MR would be great, but he kept miscasting and killed 4 knights, including the last guy giving full points away.

Anyways, here's my list without the wizard, then we can play around with a few options.

-------------------

Sorcerer Lord @ 340.0 Pts
    No Mark; General; Lore of Shadow; Magic Level 4
    Collar of Khorne
    Iron Curse Icon
    Infernal Puppet
    Charmed Shield

Exalted Hero of Tzeentch @ 235.0 Pts
    Mark of Tzeentch; Halberd; Battle Standard
    Talisman of Preservation
    Favour of the Gods
    Soporific Musk
    Barded Chaos Steed

18 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch @ 358.0 Pts
    Mark of Tzeentch; Shield; Standard; Musician
    Rapturous Standard
    Champion

15 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh @ 280.0 Pts
    Mark of Slaanesh; Flail; Light Armour; Standard; Musician
    1 Chieftain (increases

5 Chaos Warhounds
    5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Knights of Tzeentch @ 285.0 Pts
    Mark of Tzeentch;
    Standard; Musician
    Banner of Rage

5 Chaos Knights of Tzeentch @ 290.0 Pts
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Standard; Musician
    Blasted Standard

Chaos Warshrine
    No Mark

1 Hellcannon

The army really is built around defense mostly, rely on magic and base stats to win out the day, which they generally do. I'd LOVE to get MR somehow onto my knights, which I might be able to with certain lv2 build-outs.

The Lord goes into the warriors, giving them a 5+ ward against war machines and a 4+ ward against magic.

The BSB goes into either knight unit, but usually the raged knights. He gives them even MORE hitting power (I've killed 27 ungor spearmen in 1 round and 25 empire spearmen and an archlector in 1 round with him in my knight unit). He also uses the favor to let the warshrine do its thing for his knight unit.

M.Horse take 1 flank and the Hell Cannon the other.

15 m.horse and 18 warriors equals 626 points. I love how that works out, since I need 625 to fill my core.

Seems to work wonders.
    -----------
    Now for the fun part. Where to put my lv2. I have 329 points to play with if I drop the champion from the M.horse.

I'm a firm believer in a back up wizard, or I would just use that for 4 dragon ogres with GWs & champion as that equals 328. Or if I really wanted to cheese out, a second Hell Cannon. Which may in the end not be such a bad idea. But let's try and get this backup wizard into the game.

Here are my options I've come up with (remember all builds come with the power familiar and third eye of tzeentch built in):
    ------------
    I can put him on a chariot. Probably just a lv1 fire that steals spells or casts a medium fireball every now and then. I can swap some things around and give him the Charmed Shield and Necrotic Phylatery.

Not bad of an option, it costs 250 points leaving me points to tool up my other units (read: more chaos warriors).

Or I can lv2 him and make him nurgle. That costs 55 more points. I'm not liking buboes so much anymore and with all the ward saves I have regen isn't as big as it used to be.

Both builds don't jump out at me, but adding the chariot to the army doesn't hurt.
    -------------
    This option costs 12 more points than I have, so I'd have to probably drop Soporific Musk, which I'm hesitant to do.

I Mark my lv1 wizard with slaanesh and give him a steed of slaanesh. I also give him the Book of Secrets, because a lv1 Slaanesh Sorcerer is worthless, but a lv1 Shadow isn't. He'll go in the M.Horse unit. He actually gives them a little more combat punch. +1 attack at WS5/str4 and his horse gets poison at int 5. He also gets Mv10, which if he wants he can just run wherever he wants pretty quickly. Also, he's Ld8, which is huge, since this unit is always away from my BSB/General.

Its a pretty ingenious setup, but I don't know if it'll work.

The rest of the points go into a Naked exalted on steed with Fury of the Bloodgod on him. This gives that much needed MR2 to my other knight unit as well as 4 more str5 attacks. He's barebones here at 151 points, but that's fine. If only Chaos Knight champions could take magic items. What I could do to that unit with 151 points.

This option would need play testing. I would get super defensive knights and warriors and also a place for my sorcerer to hang out. I could make him fire aswell. A simple lv1 fire wizard could really turn the tide on a flank.

I could also use the 151 points on another bunker m.horse unit for this guy instead of another exalted.
    ---------------

Option 3. I'd need to buy more models for this. (325 points)
    Lv1 sorcerer in a unit of 25 tzeentch marauders with LA/Shield and FC. Gives me another block of troops. Do I need another block? I don't know.

On 1 hand it would be nice to have another 25 bodies, on another does 25 marauders really do anything? One could argue 25 marauders are better than a chariot, but the chariot also leaves me 80 points to spend elsewhere. For the same cost I could just get 10 chosen with shields and no command.
    ------------

So you see, I have a ton of options and they all have pros and cons. I'm just trying to find some help in what would fit my army the best.

US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any specific lore you are looking for on this guy? Do you have to have 3rd eye and power familiar?

Right now as a backup wizard I use an Exalted with:
    MoT
    Disc of Tzeentch
    Book of Secrets
    Golden Eye of Tzeentch
    Bloodcurdling Roar (if points left over)

Choppy enough to go hunting warmachines, and has access to Roar. His ward save is OK, wish he had access to a good all-around ward save though.

In lists where I use him though, my main wizard is a Lvl 4 with MoT and Disc so my backup is more to get access to a little shadow magic.

Where do you put your lvl 4? I don't see a carpet on him any more, is mobility ever an issue with him?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

He goes into my warrior unit. He supplies them with magic/shooting defense. Its all about synergy. Yeah having a lv4 in the army is great, but what does he give your army on top of that? His items and the tzeentch mark on the warriors have tremendous synergy. I don't care what lore my backup uses. Fire and shadow from BoS is fine, or fire without it. He uses his 3rd eye to steal spells more often than not anyways.
    Last edited by Pinkus; September 18th, 2010 at 15:28.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

Going to try out the slaanesh wizard with book of secrets joining my m.horse. That seems logical. It moves him out of the center of my army. He gives the unit ld8 and extra str4 attacks.

Then I'll pick up the naked exalted with fury of the bloodgod. That should make my tzeentch knights even more defensive as well as adding in 4 more attacks to the unit.

I'm just so tempted to grab 25 marauders and bunker the guy there. That gives me another whole unit. Yeah making my knights better is great, but another whole unit can't hurt.

TBH, 4 dragon ogres with GWs instead of the wizard is starting to be tempting. But I've had my lv4 die or lose levels and spells and my fireball wielding lv2 took up the slack quite easily. Blasted 3 models off of a 6 model minotaur unit. Can't really complain about that.

Any other ideas? Basically if you had 329 points and wanted to add in a lv1/lv2 wizard to your army, what would you do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love taking a

Lvl1-2 Sorc
    MoT
    Third Eye of Tz -To steal any really horrible spells
    Dispel scroll

With the Idea of this guy chucking out Pandemonium as a form of Magic defence and forcing miscasts. And the DS just incase I can't sqeeze Pande off. Combine that with your Lord taking Infernal Puppet and you can really screw with enemy casters.

He worked incredibly well when Forcing a Lvl 4 Greeyser to miscast Curse of the 13 casuing a Str 10 hit on a stormvermin unit taking out 5 or so aswell as finally killing the caster himself. Then I had the beardyness of stealing Curse of the 13 and chucking it back at his Stormvermin unit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

Not a bad thought. Gateway is doable now with a lv1, and treason of tzeentch could murder some units.
    lv1
    tzeentch
    disc
    power familiar
    talisman
    3rd eye

Exactly the same cost as my lv1 slaanesh guy I have up there. Very interesting though. I'd want to give him the bloodcurdling roar too, but I can't find the points as I'm already at 2497.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be tempted to just stick your Sorc in a Warrior unit and march him up(As long as hes within sight of the enemy caster lord).. that saves you enough points for Blood-curdling roar and then some. Aswell as the warriors taking the potential hits directed at your sorc?

Along with that if you get lucky with your warshrine roll you could help boost your sorc aswell.
    Last edited by Lord Vearak; September 19th, 2010 at 22:42.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

The warshrine has 1 job. Boost my raged knights into godliness. And with the help of my BSB, it usually gets the job done. Any roll lower than an 7 does that.

THe problem with putting my lv2 wizard in my warriors is that my lv4 already is there. That turns them into a deathstar whose death would easily lose me the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

9 naked marauders, MoS and dump your lvl 2 in there.

46 points for a 10 wound meat-shield.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

Need 10 minimum. Problem with that is, with any type of concentrated shooting that unit vaporizes very quickly. My wizard could start taking hits before I get a chance to bail him out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast