Librarium Online Forums banner

1K - Warriors of Chaos, where to go from here?

<1000 
968 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  MightisRight 
#1 ·
There has been some interest in my local club to kick start Fantasy Battle again and I've flirted with the idea of making a Warriors of Chaos for a while now so I've decided to give it go. With what I have so far this is what I've come up with for a starter 1K list:

Sorcerer Lvl 2 - General, Collar of Khorne
Chaos Warriors x12 - Shields, Standard, Musician, Mark of Tzeentch
Chaos Warriors x12 - Additional Hand Weapons, Standard, Musician
Marauders x20 - Shields, Full Command
Warhounds x5
Warhounds x5
Chaos Knights x5 - Standard, Musician

Total - 995

I think this looks decent for a starter 1000 point army, although I'd certainly entertain comments. The real question is where to go from here and that is what I'd love to hear suggestions on; ideas for me to noodle on.

The only firm thing I have in my head is the addition of a Hellcannon. I love that model and I love the idea of a daemonic war engine rampaging out of my battle line to go eat people. Beyond that, I'd love suggestions. Do I increase the warriors squads to 15-18 each? Do I add a third 12 warrior unit? Do I add more Marauders to bulk the unit to 30 models at 5 wide, 6 deep for better chances of cracking steadfast and the additional static combat res? Do I build myself a warshine (on the agenda already) sooner rather than later? How soon should I look at making a Battle Standard Bearer? Why do I have an urge to build a unit of Chaos Ogres from Ironguts? Why hasn't GW made a Dragon Orge model that wasn't hit repeatedly with an ugly stick (conversion ideas anyone)?

See less See more
#2 ·
The 1000pt list looks fine to be honest so I'll skip straight onto the add ons. So what points level are you aiming for? 1500pts? 2k?

We'll go for 1500pts. Ok so you want a Hell cannon, that leaves you wih around 300pts to spend on stuff. First off I would..........

1) Grab the two hand weapon warrior unit either the banner rage or the Mark of Khorne. They don't have very high strength so the additional attacks is going to be worth it. Plus, 30 attacks just sounds scary. Do this for your Knights as well.

2) As you said, bulk the Marauders up to 30 strong. I'd also grab them Tzeentch.

3) Grab a Battle Standard Bearer. You'd be suprised how useful the re-roll to every LD test is. Some extra muscle in combat is never a bad thing either. The Talisman of Preservation, MArk of Tzeentch (for a 3+ Ward save) and a Halberd is a pretty awesome combination for a BSB.

4) Grab your sorcerer a Spell Familiar.

Dragon Ogres. Completely agree mate. Dragon Ogres are the oldest running GW model (I think) and they seriously need an update. Seriously. Chaos Ogres from Iron Guts is what most people do I think. You don't really need to do much conversion work to make them look chaosy. A couple of spare MArauder shields stuck on here or there (instead of gutplates maybe?) and an evil paint job and you're done. A unit of 6 with Great weapons and the Mark of Khorne is a good way to go.

If you're looking for ideas for Dragon ogres and money is no object, this is what I was going to do, use Lizardmen cold ones and the torso's from the Kroxigor. They'll look comepletely different from the norm, very dragony and very WYSIWYG.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

As for a point level I'm aiming for, ultimately I will build the army up to at least 2250 points, but one step at a time. Those all sounds like good ideas. How essential would it be to increase my warrior units to 15-18 models each, or are they usually 'killy' enough at this amount to say 1500 points?

Out of curiosity what do many folks make their BSBs out of. I've been mulling over conversion ideas, but I'd love to know what others have done.

#4 ·
Personally, I made mine out of Warrior legs and the upper body, arms, head etc of a Chaos Knight. For the Banner I used the big Chaos Star from the Defiler kit.

Even at 2k I just use untis of 12 Warriors, but then I fight purely combat armies so never come up against shooty death lists like Dwarves or Empire.

#6 ·
I'd strongly suggest getting some Chaos Hounds then. They're cheap, expendable and useful. Just treat them as mobile cover for your more important units.

However there are LOADS of ways for our trusty boys to overcome Gunlines. Wulfrick brings on a whole MArauder regiment from a board edge so he's pretty handy. Then there is the Magic banner of wrath which gives a unit a 5+ Ward Vs shooting. Great with the mark of Tzeentch.

#7 ·
Good point on the dogs. I have 10 of them from the Battalion box; I completely forgot about them. Shame on me. I mean to try Wulfrick out someday, but I have more of an attachment to the Chaos Warriors so the Banner of Wrath is a great suggestion. I'm thinking that might be a great addition to the Sword and Board unit of CWs since I plan to give them the Mark of Tzeentch anyways.

I'm also thinking that getting a unit of Marauder Horseman for Warmachine hunting might be a useful. I'm tempted to go the Mark of Khorne and Flails route, but with their Leadership of 7 I'm afraid I won't be able to keep them under control long enough to get them into the position I want them. Of course I could just leave off the Mark of Khorne, keep the flails, and they'd still be good for hunting down Warmachines.

#8 ·

Dogs Dogs Dogs. We all love them. I've got 30 in (one of) my Chaos army.

I think the best mark for Warmachine hunters is Slaanesh. It's pretty cheap and means your boys wont run away or charge when you don't want them to, like charging a unit of elf spearmen instead of the bolt thrower.

#9 ·
What I suggest - GET THE DAMNED CANNON!!!! It is just so freaking awesome! Not only is it an awesome model with great fluff, but it kicks serious arse on the battlefield as well. Not only can it single-handedly annihilate units of elves or even dwarves, but the look on their faces when it eats their warmachine hunting fast cav/flyers is priceless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.