<3000 2500 VSU Chaos Warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

2500 VSU Chaos Warriors

Ok, the idea for this list came from a theory that I had back in the main WoC section, about running our entire armybook in an MSU (Multiple Small Unit) format. The idea of MSU is to allow our incredible statlines to really shine, by breaking up large units (which featured a rank or two just standing around) into several very small units that can be used alone or in conjunction with one another.
    At any rate, I'll post the list up here for criticism. For more information on how the theory behind the list, check out this thread (MSU Chaos Warriors: thoughts?).

Lords: 375/625
    L4 Sorc Lord w/ 3rd Eye, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation [Shadows]
    @ 375 joins 5man Chosen unit

Heroes: xxx/625
    Wulfrik
    with 29 marauders

Exalted w/ MoT, Shield BSB
    @ 150

Core: 763/625
    10 Marauder Horsemen w/ Flails, MoK
    @ 180
    @ 180

5 Marauder Horsemen w/ Javelins, Musician
    @ 76
    @ 76
    @ 76

29 Marauders w/ GWs, MoK
    @ 175

Special: 819/1250
    5 Chosen w/ Halberds, Shields Musician, Standard of Discipline, MoK
    @ 175
    6 Chosen w/ Halberds, Shields Musician, MoK
    @ 160
    @ 160

6 Forsaken
    6 Forsaken
    6 Forsaken

Rare: xxx/625
    Hellcannon

Army Total: 2497/2500

For list-specific tactics:
    There's a lot of Frenzy in my army, and if it isn't Frenzied, it's built to flee. This is the only reason why I gave my Chosen/General the Standard of Discipline (ld 9 General). I could have saved points and given it to my BSB, but putting 2 characters into the same unit of 6 men is just asking for a beating IMO.

The MCav would be better off with Throwing Axes, scoring an additional .3 wounds per 6" volley, but I don't want the units to be within 6" of the enemy to use them. I want to place my MCav at an angle and pepper the enemy with shots. When the enemy charges, I will flee and hopefully draw them onto a combined charge from a Forsaken and Chosen regiment.

~700pts of my list is built for "throw-aways". The 10man MCav regiments, as well as Wulfrik & C0. probably won't live to see the end of the game. I've had success fielding an 11 man regiment of MCav with a 6A Exalted, but I feel that I would be better served by dropping many of the upgrades, as well as the Exalted, and picking up a pair of regiments. If needed, they can work in tandem to bring down tougher enemies.
    The idea is that these three units will keep my opponent off balance for the first half of the game, both by having to deal with MCav regiments at their doorstep, and worrying about when/where Wulfrik will show up. In the past, it's been enough to keep firepower off my main army, and keep a unit or two hiding in the back waiting for Wulfrik.

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

You know the drill dude, comments in blue

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Lords: 375/625
    L4 Sorc Lord w/ 3rd Eye, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation [Shadows]
    @ 375 joins 5man Chosen unit

Shadow Magic is awesome and there is a spell for every occassion. So why take the 3rd Eye? Will you ever not use Shadow Magic? Dropping it might free up some points for something else.

You could grab him the sword of Might or that 10pt fear causing sword for some magical attacks and a boost to his Chosen unit.

Heroes: xxx/625
    Wulfrik
    with 29 marauders

Exalted w/ MoT, Shield BSB
    @ 150
    Dropping the 3rd eye on the Scorcerer frees up some points for this fella. Grabbing the Dragon helm gives this guy a cheeky 2+ Save and a 2+ Ward Vs Fire. Good against Skull taker and any blood Thirsters with that flaming sword. The Luck stone for 5pts is another good little item if you have the ponts left over. Where is this guy going?

Core: 763/625
    @ 180
    @ 180
    Now, I know everyone loves Khorne but. Is 5 extra attacks worth 30pts?

@ 76
    @ 76
    @ 76

29 Marauders w/ GWs, MoK
    @ 175

Special: 819/1250
    5 Chosen w/ Halberds, Shields Musician, Standard of Discipline, MoK
    @ 175
    @ 160
    @ 160
    90pts for Mark of Khorne on these 3 units might not be worth it. They kick out enough attacks to win combat anyway so maybe put the points elsewhere? 30 more points and you have a Chariot, 90pts is 15 Marauders with Great weapons.

6 Forsaken
    6 Forsaken
    6 Forsaken

Fun Times

Rare: xxx/625
    Hellcannon

Army Total: 2497/2500

i think, if you can fit them in, some chaos hounds would really help your small 6 man units against shooty armies. Any army with any dedicated shooting unit (handgunners) will cause you some pain. Chucking a hound unit or 3 infornt of you will give you some needed mobile cover.

Untis of hounds can also be angled to redirect charges or, if you're really sneaky, you can place 2 units of hounds infront of an enemy unit, with enough space for a 6 man unit (3x2) to charge through. This means he can't charge your chosen but you can charge him!
    Last edited by Lord Borak; January 22nd, 2011 at 20:19.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I like the list, very innovative stuff Capt! A few ideas for you, based on what your tactical logic:

1. Wulfric's Marauders aren't expect to last long anyway, why not just Flails? Marauders have very nice INI it seems a shame to throw that away.
    2. MoS on javelin cavelry is pretty cheap and saves you from any chain panic risks as your cavalry are far from the general.
    3. Your general's Chosen could benifit from a champ with Collar of Khorne [nice theme too], would give your Sorcerer Lord a very nice save vs. magic too.

The problem with all these is of course the points cost...not sure where you would want to save there, forsaken in a group of 5 instead of 6?
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Thanks for checking in Ascendo! Rep to both of you for the help, actually.
    Anyways, I think that I'm going to try to proxy the list for a few games, and see how the numbers work out. I'm not so worried about winning or losing at first (tactics can be ironed out later) but I want to see what kinds of numbers the units are posting up.

If the 6 extra attacks don't matter, I'll knock out the MoK. I really hate that Marks are bought by the regiment rather than by the model, as right now I'm paying 5pts for each extra attack, whereas I could frenzy a regiment of 60 Marauders for .5pts/Model.

From what I've seen, my MCav need as much help as they can get (still bounced off everyone when they had 6A Exalted with them). With two regiments, I think that MoK will be enough to finally smash through some enemy lines. Ditto with Wulfy's boys- they tended to hit a unit and get stuck in for a round or two, and losing that +2S on the following rounds is just devastating. I don't have the ranks in the unit to afford losing a round.

Dropping Khorne on the Chosen is feasible- swapping it to MoS might be entertaining, simply because then it wouldn't matter if the MCav fled straight through them. In fact, it would be safer for the MCav, and I might even consider giving them back their Axes (my fear was that a 6" range meant that they'd be too close to survive fleeing- but if they flee through, the enemy will stop against my Chosen).
    I'd use the extra points to add Hounds, most likely.

Also considering dropping 3 of the Forsaken to boost the numbers in my MCav regiments.

3rd Eye is gone Borak- I now run 'Armor of Destiny' on my BSB (-Tzeentch for Points). He has a 4+/4++ now. Not as good as it could be (3+/3++) but still good enough for government work.

Later in the dev. process, some of these units might enlarge. I'll find a sweet-spot for them yet...
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post

3rd Eye is gone Borak- I now run 'Armor of Destiny' on my BSB (-Tzeentch for Points). He has a 4+/4++ now. Not as good as it could be (3+/3++) but still good enough for government work.
    Why not take the Talisman of Endurance and the Mark of Tzeentch. That comes to 40pts (10pts less than armour of Destiny) and you'll have a 3+/4++. Then with yor spare 10pts grab the Dragon helm. Now you have a 2+/4++

You will have to tell me how this army pans out. If sounds very interesting and, unfortunately, tempting. Thanks for the Rep. Very appreciated.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; January 25th, 2011 at 23:52.

+ Reply to Thread