Solid 2K List - Critique Please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid 2K List - Critique Please

Lord: 410 pts.
    1. Sorcerer Lord
    MoT, Lvl 4, Disc, Golden Eye, E Shield, Blood, Book of Secrets, Luckstone
    = 410

Heroes: 350 pts.

2. Throgg

3. Hero, Khorne, Flail, Steed, BsB, Favour +5
    = 175 pts.

Core: 612 pts.

1. Warriors (1
    -MoK, Halberds, Musc.
    = 342 pts.

2. Trolls (6)

Special: 360 pts.

1. Knights (7)
    Musician, Khorne, Standard, Rapturous
    = 360 pts.

Rare: 265 pts.

1. Giant
    Slaanesh
    = 265 pts.

Last edited by CaptainSarathai; February 6th, 2011 at 22:19. Reason: removed points values

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey man 2 things. 1 please put this in the army list thread and 2 please take down all the point wise upgrades!

ie

1. Sorcerer Lord
    MoT
    Lvl 4
    Disc
    Golden Eye
    E Shield
    Blood
    Book of Secrets
    Luckstone

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Read the FAQ about the new rules for the book of secrets, it makes the bearer a level 1 mage. meaning your level 4 tzeech will only know 1 spell from lore of fire,shadow or death and get +1 to cast/dispell. remove this item at the very least.

I don't like the gear on your characters myself. For the mage I would give him the 4+ wardsave item, the infernal puppet and the ench shield. You should take khorne off your BSB and the unit, and use the banner of rage. for 35 pts your unit and all the characters in it will get frenzy and never lose it.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Welcome to the forums Nurgaaaahl! You're new here, so I moved your post for you, and edited out all of the individual points costs. I know that it sounds silly (it is) but GW has a rule that you cannot post such detailed information. The cost for unit upgrades, single models, or units without upgrades, are not allowed to be posted onto the boards. GW will come after LO, and then we won't have anywhere to hang out!
    But on to your list.

Quote Originally Posted by nurgaaaahl View Post
    1. Sorcerer Lord
    MoT, Lvl 4, Disc, Golden Eye, E Shield, Blood, Book of Secrets, Luckstone
    = 410
    You can only have 1 item from each category, and the Golden Eye and Luckstone are both Talismans.
    With the Book FAQ, you need to drop the BoS. I'd also knock out the Golden Eye for the Talisman of Preservation, for a 3+ total Wardsave. Drop the E.Shield, Wardsaves don't stack, and you'll have a 3+ all the time with the Talisman of Preservation. You don't have to max out the PVs for all of your item allowances.

Heroes: 350 pts.

2. Throgg
    Without Trolls, this doesn't make much sense to me, but I suppose that he is a pretty hard character.

3. Hero, Khorne, Flail, Steed, BsB, Favour +5
    = 175 pts.
    Why the Favor? You don't have a Warshrine or Chosen. Sure, he might kill something, but unless you have 5pts just sitting around after you build your list, leave this at home. I'm assuming that you're joining the Knights, so that you still get your Look Out Sir! roll.

Core: 612 pts.

1. Warriors (18)
    -MoK, Halberds, Musc.
    = 342 pts.
    Why no Standard Bearer? The musician will help them reform and break ties, but the Standard Bearer will help win you combats. You're freeing up points elsewhere in the list- these guys should really carry a banner. You should also try to spring for Shields- you can't use them in combat, but it's a 3+sv against shooting, which will tear these guys apart.

2. Trolls (6)

Special: 360 pts.

1. Knights (7)
    Musician, Khorne, Standard, Rapturous
    = 360 pts.
    Why the Rapturous banner on your Knights? These guys would be better off taking the musician and using Quick Reform to get back into the fight. The Rapturous banner is for taking failed Break Checks, and trust me- if you're fighting something that your knights are losing against, you want to get the hell out of there. Stick the Rapturous on your Warriors, so that you can hold up longer against big enemy nasties. Also, with the BSB joining this regiment, you're at 8 models, which is too few to net you a rank bonus, but usually too many to get everyone into combat. Stick to a 6 man regiment when it's all said and done (5+BSB). I'm also with Talismanic, that you should drop MoK on both the Knights and BSB, and give someone the Banner of Rage.

Rare: 265 pts.

1. Giant
    Slaanesh
    = 265 pts.
    Not our most competitive Rare choice, but this guy is pretty solid all the same.
    I think that your list does indeed look pretty scary- everything in it is very hard-hitting. If the list is working for you, then you're doing everything right. In my area however, you wouldn't have enough regiments on the table to really win games. For example- shooting lists are going to have 3 major targets all game: the Warriors, the Knights, and the Giant. The trolls will probably be Stupid while your general is flying around trying to pop warmachines, so they're not much of a threat. You would usually find yourself tied up and flanked, or that your very scary units are being fed cheap troops all game while the enemy hides from your northernly wrath.

I would knock those Warriors down to 12 or 14, to save points. Dropping the Knights down to 5 men and going with Banner of Rage would also free up some realestate. Swapping your Giant for a Hellcannon could also work, but that's a personal choice rather than a strictly practical one. Just the Knights and Warriors alone should free up 199pts.
    You could use these to get the shields on your Warriors, work out the Banner/Musician debate, and then pick up some extra bodies to stick on the line. My suggestion would be either Marauder Horsemen, or just plain Marauders. 150pts should fill in your Troops section without counting the trolls. You could then move your Trolls back to your Special section, and drop Throgg if you wanted, for even more points to play with.

One thing I've learned from almost 12 years of playing Warhammer, is that victory doesn't always go to the guy who hits harder. More often, it goes to the guy who uses his points most efficiently. Sure, tactics and luck make a big difference as well, but they usually go hand in hand with make the most out of your points. If you have more units, it's easier to stay tactically flexible, and cheaper troops don't worry you as much when they hit bad luck and die (think like Skaven). Right now your army hinges on getting to the fight, rolling well enough to destroy the enemy in combat, and then quickly getting to the next fight. There's a lot of room for things to go wrong there.
    Here are two great examples of what I mean:
    -- Your Knights and Exalted with MoK on both units, costs 45pts for Frenzy that you might lose. But if you give the BSB the Banner of Rage, it's cheaper and you gain Frenzy that you never lose.
    -- Your Giant has 6wounds, no armor, Ld10, and Special attacks (break them down: 1/6 you autowin by 2, 1/3 chance you get D6 attacks, 1/6 chance you kill 1 model, or 1/6 chance that you get 2D6 attacks and fall over)
    Your Warshrine has 5 wounds, a 4+ armor, a 5+ ward until it fails 3 times, and gets a stead 5 attacks plus the surviving Dwarfs, plus has a shooting attack and is Unbreakable. Best of all: it costs atleast 20pts less, 60pts in your case.

Which ones are giving you better stuff for your points?
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; February 6th, 2011 at 23:07.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    A Hellcannon has 5 wounds, a 4+ armor, a 5+ ward until it succeeds 3 times, and gets a stead 5 attacks plus the surviving Dwarfs, plus has a shooting attack and is Unbreakable. Best of all: it costs atleast 20pts less, 60pts in your case.
    Fixed
    And I agree with him, on all fronts.
    Last edited by Maximus-Prime; February 7th, 2011 at 08:49.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

+ Reply to Thread