<3000 2000 pts Tournament list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pts Tournament list

Lords - 350

Sorcerer Lord (Heavens)(G) - 350
    +Level 4
    +Talisman of Preservation (4++)
    +Infernal Puppet

Heroes - 341

Sorcerer (Fire) - 160
    +Level 2
    +Spell Familiar
    +Third Eye of Tzeentch

Exalted Hero - 181
    +BSB
    +Barded Steed
    +Charmed Shield
    +Sword of Might
    +Ironcurse Icon

Core - 694

23x Warriors (Sorcerer Lord, Sorcerer) - 486
    +Halberds
    +Shields
    +Full Command
    +Blasted Standard
    +Mark of Tzeentch

10x Marauder Horsemen - 208
    +Flails
    +Standard Bearer and Musician
    +Mark of Khorne

Special - 485

10x Knights (Exalted Hero) - 485
    +Standard Bearer and Musian
    +Banner of Rage
    +Mark of Tzeentch

Rare - 130

Warshrine - 130

130+
    2000 Points

Its a nice and simple list following a basic strategy: use Heavens buffs to enhance my close combat, and the hexes to help me get there. I'll use Level Two fire to remove Regen if there's something big and nasty to deal with like a Hellpit or a Hydra. I'm not relying on anything massively explosive or hard to cast to win, too hit/miss and risky for my like. Its why I'm choosing Heavens over Shadows or Death for the lord: the buffs are better and the heavier spells aren't relying on 6-dicing miscasts.

Since I've only got a few units I'm protecting everything I can as well as possible - MoT and Ironcurse Icon for the Knights, since they're a prime target for war machine fire. Blasted Standard and Mark of Tzeentch protects the Warriors.

Cheers for reading, comments and criticism are much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like a very, all eggs in one basket list. The Dweller's Bellow would eat you up before you knew what happened. If you're going to play with such few units, get them some magic resistance, with the Mark of Tzeentch you already have on several units it'll work wonders!

Other than that, it's solid as far as I can tell. If your enemies don't typically wield unit swallowing spells like Dwellers, you'll be doing great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, I've noticed the "all eggs in one basket," just waiting for someone else to pick up on this In some friendlies, I played vs. VC's, and he bogged my Warriors unit with Net of Amyntok once or twice - took me till turn 5 to get in combat. I still tabled him once I got there, whilst losing only 5 of the horses and 6 warriors total - I just really thought I wasn't going to get into combat, which would lose/draw the game in any other situation. I then played Lizzies, and he power fapped my hero wizard and half of my Warriors with Dwellers in turn two. I pulled that to a draw.

Unfortunately MR doesn't help against any "no saves of any kind allowed" spells. Cheers for the comment, I'll try and find some way of spreading my wizards about a bit

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Not that I'm knocking Heavens magic but why take it over Shadow Magic? There doesn't seem to be that many useful spells in it compared to Shadow. The 2nd 3rd and Sig spells in shadow are all easy to cast and are all good Hex spells. Where as the 1st and 3rd spells in Heavens are goodish Hex spells but that's about it.

The only nasty combo of Fire and Heavens I can see is Flame Cage and Wind Blast but that's abut it Care to enlighten me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I guess I just exaggerate it to myself when I use Heavens - purely because I like it. The re-roll buffs are great, and the Missiles are high Strength (6 atleast in both cases) which are good for dealing with units of Knights, monsters and the likes. The -1 to hit agains one of my units is fantastic protection for the Marauders when need be too. Comet is great at putting pressure on gunline armies, for both small units of archers/gunners and warmachines too - which I despise with a passion! If people want to have everything with a gun, they should play 40k! I can definitely see good reasons for using it, and its worked well even against combat armies.

I'm not really using the two Lores for combos, as I'm not relying on magic to win me the game, more to play the rest of my army to my advantage. The Lore of Fire is to use when I'm at a loose end, and to perhaps give Regen units something to think carefully about. I've found that when I'm playing against anything relying on regen, they'll reserve dice for my Fire spells, and so he'll clear the way for my Heavens magic, whether I cast Fire spells or not.

I can see your argument for using Shadow though - I may try out both, and see what works better. As this is for a Tournament, I guess I'll have to give priority to Shadow if it works better.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Oh I'm just curious about the choice. The Signature spell is pretty horrendous now I've read it properly. -1 to HIT in combat is incredibly nasty. Enemy units hitting Warriors on 5's? Add that in with Nurgle and you've got WS3 troops hitting you on 6's!! There's definately potential. It's a shame we can't take the Lore on heroes.

Iceshard is along the lines of Shadows Mystifying Miasma though which can be just as, if not more, effective. Especially considering you can boost it to affect 4 stats. The Minus D3 BS is better against shooty armies as well.

The reason I asked about combos is...........

If you cast Flame Cage on an enemy unit and they move "for any reason" every model in the unit takes a Str4 hit. now you cast that and cast Wind Blast which moves their unit back D3+1 inches. Well, moving backwards counts as moving to me so you can cause horendous dammage with those two spells against horde units.

The more I do read the Lore the more I like it. You convinced me, Or did I convince myself, to give it go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I hadn't quite cracked on to how good that could be until I tried it with some Math-hammer and some dice rolls I regularly face units of 50 goblins, presuming I got both spells off successfully, thats (based on Math-hammer) 2 dead from the initial D6 hits from flame cage, then 24 dead from the Cages hits. Thats then a panic test, of course Based on some dice rolls (Theoryhammer), its never killed less than 15 total, and has once or twice killed around 40 little Gobbos. This is all applicable against any massed unit, from what I can see

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

But you'd need te get Flame Cage... AND Wind Blast.

Other than that.
    I love Heavens magic, especially with Knights!

Good God the damage I've dealt with both re-roll spells cast on the high value!

I'm interested to see how you fare, with only 3 regiments and a Shrine.

For the love of the Dark Gods, get a dispelscroll!
    One not-IF but high rolled Final Transmutation or Dwellers etc....
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, a Dispel Scroll could come in handy. I'll look for some points i can spare for one, unless anyone has any pointers?

+ Reply to Thread