<2000 2000pts No Magic vs. Dwarfs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

2000pts No Magic vs. Dwarfs

A proven & effective magic-free list for fighting dwarfs.

Chaos Lord: 375
    MoK/Jugg.
    Axe of Khorne
    Charmed Shield
    Helm of Many Eyes
    This guy goes with trolls, and he chews up anything on foot.

BSB Hero: 199
    MoT/Halberd
    Talisman of Pres.
    Favor of the Gods
    Almost as killy as the Lord, but much better at surviving. Very handy for shrine blessing too.

Core
    Chaos Warhounds [x2]: 60

24 Chaos Warriors [with BSB]: 479
    MoN
    Halberds
    FC/Banner of Rage

40 Marauders: 250
    MoK/Flails
    FC

Special
    Chaos Trolls:270

Chaos Knights: 230
    MoK

Rare
    Warshrine

Total: 1993 [I should get an extra hound next time]

Last edited by Ascendo Tuum; February 19th, 2011 at 22:44.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Do you know what kidn fo Dwarves you're up against? Gunline? Combat? Mix of the two?

Personally I'd grab the Crimson armour on your general to stop him being splatted by a Cannon ball. Now I know you can't have that and the charmed shield but the Shield only works once. You're general will have to take 3 cannon balls to take down. I'd also consider the 3rd eye of Tzeentch as well for a checcky 4+ Ward against shooting. That should make those Cannon balls think twice!

I can see what you've done with the Warriors but why not take Tzeentch instead of Nurgle? Nurgle doesn't work against Cannons or Organ guns. Both of which appear quite often in Dwarf armies. You could then grab the Blasted Standard for a 4+ Ward Vs shooting. Although if your Dwarf opponent goes gun-light then maybe keep the Rage Banner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

The thing about this list that was so fun was the Helm/Axe combo against a low INI enemy with high toughness. The sheer number of rolls to wound makes their eyes bulge in fear of killing blow - and str.6 is no joke either.

The dwarf army had a cannon and TWO organ guns, plus a very solid mix of hammerers, ironbreakers and miners, but only a few gunners. A lot of his points went into his Lord and hero to make them killing machines. The general got hit by two cannonballs, and survived both - after that he was on top of the cannon. Golden Eye only had to save me once. Nurgle was pretty handy actually, as it reduced the effectiveness of his multiple elite melee units who he was counting on to wipe out my warriors, which chewed everything that charged them to pieces.I let the marauders and hounds eat the organ gun shots, and they still killed a few before going down. His big mistake not having a rune of fire on his cannon and since he fired mostly into the trolls they got some nice mutant regen rolls [+1 attack, + 1 toughness, and stupidity].

This same list also fought a magic-less Skaven army afterwards [We played a three-way game too - technically a draw, but I was well ahead], Nurgle is simply awesome vs Skaven hordes, but I really needed Banner of Flame to deal with the Hellpit Abomination which auto-hits anyway, so Nurgle is no longer an option. I was considering a festus/khorne/ahw+banner of flame combo - burning poison could be funny I think, hellpit dies before it gets a chance to hit.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actualy really like the idea of this - a magic free army (that isn't Dwarfs) is quite a rare sight these days. I'm glad someone went for it, especially since our magic is average at best anyway.

I can't see anything I'd really change either, I run a very similar list myself (just with magic!) - only thing I myself don't use much at all is Trolls. Only thing you might be missing out on is the Scroll, and the bonuses to dispel, but with the speed and hitting power thats unlikely to be a mahoosive problem (and of course, you wrote it for vs. Dwarfs, but I'm thinking broadly here or else there isn't much to say). Perhaps take Great Weapons over Flails on your marauders - there's enough of them to survive until you strike, for at least two combat rounds anyway, but if an opponent is still around after a turn, you'll really suffer from the strength loss.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

The thing about flails is that I always have a good chance of winning the first round outright while in horde formation, and if the enemy doesn't break, I automatically reform into massed ranks and wait for a flank charge from a friendly unit.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately thats exactly the problem - yeah, Flails are great in round one, but you can't rely on breaking them that quickly. It looks good on paper, but even if you're 4 deep, most big units will have even more ranks than that and still be steadfast against you. Not to mention once they've killed a few of you too, this will almost always be the case. Coupled with their re-roll from the BSB, you have an average at best chance of breaking them round one.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Now, I'm not 100% certain, because I am out of town and don't have my rulebook handy, but I am pretty sure at you can only combat reform to a wider frontage, not to a narrower one. So reforming works great if you are maximizing the outgoing number of attacks, but you cant use a combat reform to increase your number of ranks. Now, like I said, I'm not completely sure, nor can I be for the next couple days. But if I'm right it makes a big difference on how people run their Marauders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not got my brb in front of me either but i think the rule states that you can't reduce the number of models in base to base contact so if the horde was fighting a 20mm base unit 5 wide the horde of marauders could reduce its frontage to 6 models. Could be wrong though so maybe someone could put in a page reference?
    I play a dwarf player regularly and was wondering if you agreed before hand to run no magic? If I'm tailoring lists like that I tend to let my opponent know so he doesn't waste hundreds of points in anti-magic. Keeps it friendly!
    Your right about the no flaming cannons! They really could have ruined your day. Watch.out for tooled uo master engineers protecting his warmachijes next time. They can be made insanely unkillable to hold up your lord or exalteds on discs.
    How did you get on with the hounds? I love them but against dwarfs they just bounce off warmachines and since is footsloggers don't bother about charging i've lost faith in them. I go for marauder horsemen with flails. They work wonders!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Thanks for the reply Bic C, here are my answers:
    1. Yes, we all agreed to play no magic, so the dwarf player didnt waste any points.
    2. Hounds serve three main purposes: deployment, fleeing charges, and screening - if they kill anything, that is just a bonus. But actually they do OK in fights, WS4 & M7 is pretty good for a 6 point model. You can also make them poison, which is pretty funny against dwarfs.
    3. There is no such thing as unkillable for WoC.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

+ Reply to Thread