<3000 2.5k Throgg/Festus Elite List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5k Throgg/Festus Elite List

Heroes-

The Troll King Throgg- 175 pts

Festus the Leechlord- 185 pts

Exalted Hero- 300 pts
    Shield, Mark of Nurgle, Banner of the Gods, Acid Ichor

Core-

6 Chaos Trolls- 270 pts

6 Chaos Trolls- 270 pts

20 Chaos Warriors- 400 pts
    Mark of Slaanesh, Shields, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Blasted Standard

Special-

10 Chosen- 270 pts
    Additional Hand Weapons, Mark of Nurgle, Musician, Chosen Champion, Deaths Head

5 Chaos Knights- 250 pts
    Mark of Nurgle, Knight Champion

5 Chaos Knights- 250 pts

Rare-

Chaos Warshrine- 130 pts

2, 500 points

the exalted hero joins the chosen unit, festus joins the warriors, throgg joins one of the troll units.

the idea here is simple really; no weak units.

i wish i had the points to give the warrior unit the mark of nurgle, but i figure making them immune to terror and such makes them fairly durable anyway.

as it stands, the warrior unit has a 3+ armor save, a 5+ ward save against shooting AND a 5+ regeneration save thanks to festus, which is still nasty without the mark of nurgle benefits. and it's got numbers for staying power.

warshine will provide nice support hiding behind the battleline, and festus can cause trouble on large weak units with his curse of the leper spell.(watch out night goblins, skavenslaves and etc )

at this points level it's gonna suffer from lack of numbers and in the magic phase. should be fine in the shooting phase what with all the marks of nurgle, and the high armour saves.

thoughts?

(i also put together a 3.5k version of this list that tries to address the numbers and magic problem by adding a level 4 wizard, a level 2 wizard and a level 1 wizard, as well as a big block of marauders and four screening units of 10 chaos hounds to absorb shooting.)

ps: forgot to mention, this list isn't technically legal in 8th. i'm 25 points over the 25% limit on heroes. i still intend to play it in friendly games anyway, cause i doubt anyone will care. and because i don't agree with the 25% bs AT ALL.(if i have no lords, i should get access to the full 50%. why is it just wasted? it reeks of a money scheme to force use to buy more units instead of individual models) especially since it has no lords. to make it legal just drop the acid ichor and mark of nurgle. i believe that puts it under the limit by like 5 points.

Last edited by Pigeons; March 24th, 2011 at 04:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Or drop banner of the Gods?

because I wouldn't like it if you played an army that was over the point limit, especially if it was easily fixed.

BotG isn't all that, gives terror and stubborn. Big woop. You are Chaos, re-roll panic checks (terror is panic). And you are a BSB so re-roll all leadership tests within 12". If you want stubborn, get Crown of Command, if you want Terror get Wailing banner.

I would also drop Acid Icor in favor of Stream of Corruption.

I'd mark the Slaanesh Warriors Tzeentch instead, to capitalize on the Blasted Standard.
    Again, you are ld8 re-roll panic WoC! don't fear the fear!

Drop all champions for some more bodies.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus-Prime View Post
    Or drop banner of the Gods?

because I wouldn't like it if you played an army that was over the point limit, especially if it was easily fixed.

BotG isn't all that, gives terror and stubborn. Big woop. You are Chaos, re-roll panic checks (terror is panic). And you are a BSB so re-roll all leadership tests within 12". If you want stubborn, get Crown of Command, if you want Terror get Wailing banner.

I would also drop Acid Icor in favor of Stream of Corruption.

I'd mark the Slaanesh Warriors Tzeentch instead, to capitalize on the Blasted Standard.
    Again, you are ld8 re-roll panic WoC! don't fear the fear!

Drop all champions for some more bodies.

the point of the banner of the gods was more the terror than anything. i wanted to make sure that everything in the army(bar the warshine that just sits in the back anyway) caused at least fear. and it wasn't so they didn't have to take terror checks anyway, it was so they made the enemy take terror checks.

that's a good point about the wailing banner, though. when i made this list i made it with 7th ed rules in mind, i only recently picked up 8th and saw all the new nifty common magic items. i may do that since stubborn was never a big deal about the banner for me.

use the extra points to give the warrior unit the mark of nurgle instead, and like you said stream of corruption which is much better. also considering dropping that deaths head and replacing with favour of the gods. then if i have enough points left, giving the chosen unit a standard bearer and maybe a magic banner if i can swing it.

i still don't agree with the over the point thing though. like i said i made it for 7th, and it was completely legal then. it's also still 2500 points on the nose, which i feel is more important than going over a percentage limit. would you rather the army be 2.5k on the nose and over the percentage, or 2,547 points or something?

plus an extra 25 points isn't going to be the difference between whether you win or lose. now if that extra 25 points had got me a chaos dragon, i could see it haha...

still though, like you said, i may just drop the banner of the gods which will take care of the problem right there.

thanks for the good points ^.^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

updated list:

Heroes-

Exalted Hero- 230 pts
    Shield, Mark of Nurgle, Wailing Banner, Stream of Corruption

Core-

6 Chaos Trolls- 270 pts

6 Chaos Trolls- 270 pts

20 Chaos Warriors- 420 pts
    Mark of Nurgle, Shields, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Blasted Standard

Special-

10 Chosen- 290 pts
    Additional Hand Weapons, Mark of Nurgle, Musician, Chosen Champion, Favour of the Gods, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness

5 Chaos Knights- 280 pts
    Mark of Nurgle, Musician, Standard Bearer, Knight Champion

5 Chaos Knights- 250 pts

Rare-

Chaos Warshrine- 130 pts

2, 500 points

i have to double check my math, though. in my head it came to 2.5k exact again, when i actually wrote it out i was 30 points short. used those 30 points to add a musician and standard to one of the chaos knight units. but i'll redo the math to be sure.

edit: oh yeah math is right. came out shorter cause i was presuming a 25 point banner and went with the cheaper banner of swiftness instead. so it's right.
    Last edited by Pigeons; March 24th, 2011 at 16:28.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Is festus going in the warriors?? Remember you can take Ward OR Regen. Not both. This makes the Blasted standard a bit of a waste. It also means giving them shields is a bit of a waste (no benefit from the parry save). I'd either totally re-equip the Warrior unit or move Festus into the Chosen.

If you moved Festus to the Chosen unit they'd have 3 Poison attacks. If they get +1 attack on their EotG roll then you'll be laughing all the way home. Especially if you swapped the Banner of Swiftness for the Banner of Rage.

Also, I second dropping the unit champions. Especially on the Knights. 20 pts for +1 attack or 20pts for a standard which is an automatic +1 combat res. Not sure if you've read the new 8th Ed missions either but one requires standards so you might want to have a read of the blood and glory mission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    Is festus going in the warriors?? Remember you can take Ward OR Regen. Not both. This makes the Blasted standard a bit of a waste. It also means giving them shields is a bit of a waste (no benefit from the parry save). I'd either totally re-equip the Warrior unit or move Festus into the Chosen.

If you moved Festus to the Chosen unit they'd have 3 Poison attacks. If they get +1 attack on their EotG roll then you'll be laughing all the way home. Especially if you swapped the Banner of Swiftness for the Banner of Rage.

Also, I second dropping the unit champions. Especially on the Knights. 20 pts for +1 attack or 20pts for a standard which is an automatic +1 combat res. Not sure if you've read the new 8th Ed missions either but one requires standards so you might want to have a read of the blood and glory mission.

is that ward or regen new for 8th? that does kind of put a kink in the plan.

i suppose i could just switch festus into the chosen and the BSB into the warrior unit. i imagine the chosen walking up the middle with a troll unit on either side anyway, so they'll be near enough to fear causing things anyway.

banner of rage has it's obvious uses, but i'm not a big fan of units i can't control, and frenzy adds that aspect. (heck i wouldn't even take trolls without throgg thanks to the stupidity) also i figure that extra inch of movement lets them keep up with the troll units a little better.

champs were there to take maximum advantage of the warshrine, and also for the extra attacks. but is it one of those things where the champions are never going to kill characters/large targets anyway, so it's a pipe dream to hope they'll get a eye of the gods roll?

if i remove them that's...72 points to work with.

any suggestions on what to do with those points? couple more trolls? a few screening units of warhounds? a spawn?

or just more bodies to the other units?

could also throw the exalted champion on a palanquin of nurgle i guess, which allows me to pick a different banner since he'll cause fear already. maybe a razor standard? hmm...that's an interesting thought. so then the chosen would all have poisoned attacks and the warriors would have 6 poisoned attacks and the rest armour piercing. too many points though. blah.
    Last edited by Pigeons; March 24th, 2011 at 17:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

k here's another take on it:

Heroes-

Exalted Hero- 255 pts
    Shield, Mark of Nurgle, Palanquin of Nurgle, Razor Standard, Stream of Corruption

Core-

6 Chaos Trolls- 270 pts

6 Chaos Trolls- 270 pts

20 Chaos Warriors- 383 pts
    Mark of Nurgle, Shields, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Lichebone Pennant

10 Chaos Warhounds- 70 points
    Scaly Skin

Special-

10 Chosen- 290 pts
    Additional Hand Weapons, Mark of Nurgle, Musician, Chosen Champion, Favour of the Gods, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness

5 Chaos Knights- 230 pts
    Mark of Nurgle

5 Chaos Knights- 230 pts
    Mark of Nurgle

Rare-

Chaos Warshrine- 130 pts

2, 500 points

alright, exalted hero goes in the warrior unit now. since the blasted standard was wasted i went with the lichborne pennant for magic resistance(1) for the unit.

10 warhounds that will screen either the chosen or warrior unit, depending on preference. scaly skin points are sort of wasted, but there wasn't much else i could do with those 10 points anyway, so why not. if they survive longer they can protect the unit behind them for longer.

didn't drop the chosen champion because i consider the favour of the gods essential, and after all the other jiggerings i was left with 12 points anyway, so i just added the warrior champion back in, because i didn't really have any other option for those 12 points. extra attack is an extra attack.

with this setup the warrior and chosen units just become nasty. warrior unit is -1 when shot at, has a boatload of armour piercing attacks and 6(7 on the charge) poisoned ones, and causes fear.

chosen unit has all poisoned attacks, the mark of nurgle and moves a bit faster. plus you can screen it with the warhounds now to make up for the low numbers.

also still possible it could turn fear of even terror causing after it's eye of the gods roll, especially with favour to help it out. also with the setup before, even WITH favour, you were basically wasting two of the rolls on the gods chart, because if you rolled fear, you already had terror(cause of the banner of the gods/wailing standard original banners), and if you used favour you couldn't push it to terror because you already had it, which leaves you with only +1 leadership to take. poor choice.

this way both fear and terror causing rolls are still viable choices

edit: and don't forget, with throgg in the army the warhounds get to use his leadership, which is a nice bonus.
    Last edited by Pigeons; March 24th, 2011 at 18:44.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Things that come to mind:

1. The Exalted won't get a LoS, since he is mounted, also halberd is a better item IMO.
    2. Scaly Skin is almost always useless on hounds, but poison can be worth the points
    3. Give the Warriors banner of Rage, then your exalted gets Frenzy too - definately go with halberds, you can't have parry and regen anyway.
    4. MR is pretty useless.
    5. The lack of magic will show in 2.5K games, I fear.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascendo Tuum View Post
    Things that come to mind:

1. The Exalted won't get a LoS, since he is mounted, also halberd is a better item IMO.
    2. Scaly Skin is almost always useless on hounds, but poison can be worth the points
    3. Give the Warriors banner of Rage, then your exalted gets Frenzy too - definately go with halberds, you can't have parry and regen anyway.
    4. MR is pretty useless.
    5. The lack of magic will show in 2.5K games, I fear.

1. what do you mean? wouldn't mounted give him a better line of sight because he can see higher?
    2. i know, but i was 10 points short of 2.5k and had nothing else to get with it. everything is so expensive i can't just add bodies haha. better to give it to them than have 10 wasted points. also in this particular list i see no point in poison, they're just there to absorb shooting, and poison is two points more per model.
    3. just not a fan of frenzy, honestly. i'd rather have the control than the extra attacks.
    4. again, it was just a matter of not having points for anything better and figuring, why not? it can't hurt
    5. yeah the magic is certainly a problem. but without radically altering the entire lists structure i'm not sure how to fix it. even at 3k i don't know if i could effectively. really you'd have to bump all the way to 3.5k to fix it right and i don't want to buy that many models. i guess i'll just have to wait and see if it's terrible.

the problem is...what to replace? it's such a compact list. replacing festus makes no sense because he's a wizard himself...and if i take out throgg, trolls aren't troops anymore. and you lose throgg, which is a bigger problem, since he's nasty.

can you ever really afford to run without a BSB? cause that's the only viable thing i could drop. for his price i can probably get two wizards, like a nicely equipped level 2 and a barebones level one...but can the army afford to lose him? i'm not so sure

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

ok 1st off all
    on ur exaulted drop the razor banner
    in most armies the core cant take magic banners so they need a bsb to take 1 however our warriors can
    therefore drop the razor standard and give it to your warriors and give you exaulted magic weapons
    after that give you warriors halberds and shields

drop the dogs
    some people say that they are good for redirecting or giving you guys cover but that is bs
    they dont do anything other that get in your way, if you put them in-front of your warriors then people will just ignore them and then when you come into charge range your dogs will be blocking you

as for your chosen
    banner of swiftness? really?
    drop it for banner of the eternal flame or something better than a 50 point banner which will do nothing

if you drop the linchine bone pendant, banner of swiftness and the dogs and give the hero magic items and the warriors halberds and the razor standard then you have about 120-150 points spare
    thats an extra 5 chosen, 3 trolls, 3 chaos knights or a few ogres

you may want to consider just combining your trolls into 1 big unit as you will be putting out 54 S5 attacks and you a T5 with regen, i.e no1 will break that unit giving you massive points denial

other than that this list is really good and will be very hard to beat
    you just need to know how to save points and squeeze as much as you can out of what we have
    warriors of chaos are very expensive points wise so every last point helps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast