>3000 New to WFB, have answered the call of Father Nurgle, need advice on my list(s) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to WFB, have answered the call of Father Nurgle, need advice on my list(s)

Hi all

Just dipping my toe into WFB after a couple of years playing 40K. The local club is having a large scale "tale of 4 gamers" type event over the next 6 months or so, aiming at getting folks up to 2K of a WFB army. I chose WoC from a desire to "learn" the game and avoid my normal 40K gunlines, which would stifle my exposure to excellence in multiple phases. WoC is also relatively cheap to buy, which is of course a factor.

I have trawled the web, read some tactica, and chosen models that I like the look of and am confident I can paint without succumbing to burn out and boredom, which is a constant threat as far as I am concerned!

That being said, I know this is probably not optimal and highly cheezy, and I fully acknowledge my almost total ignorance about the practical aspects of actually playing WFB which may have left "holes" in my thinking - advice and C&C would be most welcome. I have designed it for fluffiness (since fiction and RP are elements of the "event") as well as for what "feels" right, and of course for what interests me. Here is my 2K list, which is really the target for the forseeable future.

Lord (and General)
    Daemon Prince, Mark of Nurgle, Diabolic Splendour, Acidic Ichor, Wizard 3, Lore of Nurgle [500]

Heroes
    Exalted Hero, Mark of Nurgle, Battle Standard Bearer, Festering Shroud [185]
    Chaos Sorcerer, Lore of Death, Dispel Scroll [145]
    Exalted Hero, Mark of Nurgle, Glaive of Putrefication, Dragonhelm [165]

Core
    Warriors of Chaos x 14, Mark of Nurgle, Shields, Champion, Musician [272] (BSB goes here)
    Warriors of Chaos x 14, Mark of Nurgle, Shields, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame [294] (Sorcerer goes here)
    Warriors of Chaos x 14, Mark of Nurgle, Additional Hand Weapons, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Rage [333] (Hero w/ Glaive goes here)
    Warhounds of Chaos x 5 [30]

Comes out to [1984]. I would appreciate any feedback. My thinking is that the warriros obviously form a nasty core of elite troops, the Hounds acts as screeners, war machine hunters and spoilers, a decent magical strength in the army, and the DP as a character hunter and unit w/ low LD breaker just through sheer terror. Am I totally wrong in these estimations? I know the DP is a point sink, but I love the model and have "nurgled" the plastic model rather nicely in my opinion - but are the DPs really such a poor choice in the army list?

Tentative expansion to the above to bring the list to 3K goes as follows.

Core
    Add Warriors of Chaos x 15 to unit which contains the BSB to create a massive tar pit unit of 30 Warriors [225]

Special
    Chaos Knights x 5, Mark of Nurgle, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner [305]
    Chosen x 15, Mark of Nurgle, Great Weapons, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Razor Banner [425]

Which maxes out to 3K on the dot, adds a scary and massive warriros unit, Chosen which just seem frightening on their own merit, more Hound spoilers, and a unit of knights to kill off flanking light cavalry or mop up broken units. Again, new to this so advice welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

More souls for Chaos!!! Welcome to the winning side Comments in Green!

Quote Originally Posted by LBaz View Post

Lord (and General)
    Daemon Prince, Mark of Nurgle, Diabolic Splendour, Acidic Ichor, Wizard 3, Lore of Nurgle [500]

Looks good. I'd probably drop Diabolic splendour. Terror isn't what it used to be so you might find it better if you invest those points elsewhere

Heroes
    Exalted Hero, Mark of Nurgle, Battle Standard Bearer, Festering Shroud [185]
    The festering shroud isn't all that to be honest. If you still really want to keep it then keep it but put it on the Warrior unit instead. Then give this chap some items to keep him alive

Looks good. Good for character sniping. Grab this chap the 3rd eye of tzeentch. The ability to steal enemy spells is amazin. Last night I played Vampire counts with the Lore of Light and suddenly my Chaos warriors has WS10 initiative10 and has always strikes first.

Exalted Hero, Mark of Nurgle, Glaive of Putrefication, Dragonhelm [165]
    Grab this boy the potion of might and a shield. When you fight something big and scary you can use the potion and splat it first and then reduce it to Str&T 2!!

Core
    Warriors of Chaos x 14, Mark of Nurgle, Shields, Champion, Musician [272] (BSB goes here)
    Warriors of Chaos x 14, Mark of Nurgle, Shields, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame [294] (Sorcerer goes here)
    Warriors of Chaos x 14, Mark of Nurgle, Additional Hand Weapons, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Rage [333] (Hero w/ Glaive goes here)

These guys look fine but grab the units that don't have them standards. There are missions which require you to have them.

I know the DP is a point sink, but I love the model and have "nurgled" the plastic model rather nicely in my opinion - but are the DPs really such a poor choice in the army list?

There not a bad choice. Alot of people love them. They're solid casters and good flankers. I would cosnider not making this chap your army general though. As he flies around on his own he's likely to be the target of cannons and so forth so might get splatted early on. Personally though I find them to not be as good as they should be so don't like them Which is a shame because my Chaos Lord culd really do with being elavated!!!

Tentative expansion to the above to bring the list to 3K goes as follows.

Core
    Add Warriors of Chaos x 15 to unit which contains the BSB to create a massive tar pit unit of 30 Warriors [225]

If you're going to do this grab these guys some protection. The Blasted standard on the unit will save your boys from the bow/cannon fire. I'd also grab some Magic resistance on a joining character to protect them too.

Special
    Chaos Knights x 5, Mark of Nurgle, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner [305]

Champions aren't worth it in Knight units. 20pts for +1 attack? That's half a Knight!!

Chosen x 15, Mark of Nurgle, Great Weapons, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Razor Banner [425]

Great weapons are pretty much a no no on chaos warriors. Fantasy is a game of Initiative values and we are pretty much on top. We're only beaten by elves!! Taking great weapons means you're loosing out. Take halberds instead (models are the same really). You're still Str5 and that splats most things. Also, take Favour of the gods on your unit champion. It lets you add or subtract 1 from your eye of the gods roll, meanign you get a far more effective unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats great - thanks for that.

Taking that advice into consideration, and sticking to the 2K list, I have the following...

Lord
    Daemon Prince, Mark of Nurgle, Acidic Ichor, Wizard 3, Lore of Nurgle [465]

Heroes
    Exalted Hero, Mark of Nurgle, Battle Standard Bearer, Shield, Obsidian Amulet [190]
    Exalted Hero, Mark of Nurgle, Shield, Glaive of Putrefication, Potion of Speed [165] (General)

Core
    Warriors of Chaos x 13, Mark of Nurgle, Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer, Blasted Standard [296] (BSB & General goes here)
    Warriors of Chaos x 14, Mark of Nurgle, Shields, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Festering Shroud [309] (Sorcerer goes here)
    Warriors of Chaos x 15, Mark of Nurgle, Additional Hand Weapons, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Rage [350]

[1980 points]

Question - is it worth having a champion and the general in the same unit? If so, I have the points for it, just not sure if its a good idea, although the extra attack sounds pretty good to me. Opinions?
    Last edited by LBaz; April 30th, 2011 at 16:38.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

No worries

A normal unit can only have one standard but the BSB doesn't count towards this. He's not 'part' of the unit until he joins it at the start of the game.

Don;t forget that the BSB adds +1 to combat res on top of the units standard too so you're gettng +2 combat Res from the two standards, which is nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again - have edited earlier post with slightly revised army list.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

drop acid ichor, it doesn't do anything useful. Grab either the blood curdling roar or the stream of corruption. The roar kills knights and the stream lays down infantry fairly well. Don't be tempted to use it in combat if you have the chance to flame an entire unit.

Potion of speed isn't really that useful either. It'll only help you against elf characters and at that point his weapon doesn't really help you much. Give him the potion of strength and aim him at monsters.

Also, for a nurgle list, I'd think your lv2 should be nurgle as well. Lv1 spell: buboes, is broken as all hell and having 2 casters with it is great.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Champion and general in same unit is perfectly fine. It gives you the option to challenge out opponents characters with the champion to keep your general alive.

Also, for a really cheap price you can give your lv2 the charmed shield to increase his armor save and overall protection. I love when opponents argue that my sorcerers are illegal because they all carry shields.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

+ Reply to Thread