<3000 3k pt Starting list help please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3k pt Starting list help please

So i just started playing a little while ago. I originally was going to start with a 1500 pt army but everyone in my area plays 3k and wont play lower.

People keep mentioning things like "tarpits", "hammer", "anvil" and "screening units" I have no clue what those are, how to use them or build them. Some clarification would be great.
    I had the idea of using festus with the group of nurgle dudes....but im not so sure really where im putting him...ive converted an ogre bull for festus... i think it looks good but i still need to paint him.
    So here goes with what ive got so far

Exalted hero of Tzeentch (135)
    general, enchanted Shield, ???

exalted hero tzeentch (135)
    BSB, Halberd, ???

Sorc lord (270 )
    Lv 4 ???

40 chaos marauders of Tzeentch (282)
    Shields, Light armour, Mark of Tzeentch, Muso and Standard bearer.

20 chaos marauders of Tzeentch (162)
    Shields, Light armour, Mark of Tzeentch, Muso and Standard bearer.

10 Marauder horsemen of slaanesh (178 )
    Mark of Slaanesh throwing axes, light armour, muso, standard,

5 chaos warhounds

5 chaos warhounds

14 Warriors of Chaos of Tzeentch (242)
    Shield, Muso, Standard Bearer

11 chosen of tzeentch (324 )
    halberds, favour, wailing banner, full command

5 knights of Tzeentch (290 )
    MoT, muso, blasted standard

1 chaos warshrine (140 )
    MoS
    1 chaos warshrine (150 )
    MoT
    1 hellcannon (xXx)

thats 2568 pts

i still need help with the general, a BSB, and The sorcs.
    please give me your thoughts and criticisms.

Last edited by Jewfro; May 4th, 2011 at 07:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

You can drop all light armor from your list. Thats 70 points right there.
    Add a Musician to the Horsemen.

Imo the Warrior blocks are to small, I prefer 18. But that's me, you should experiment and see what you like.

I would drop the chosen and use the points to beef up the other Warrior units.
    Also drop the festering shroud, it's not as awesome as you think. Banner of Rage with some halberds for this unit kicks ass.

Character wise, I would suggest something like this:

-Lvl 4, Infernal Puppet, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation.

-Exalted Hero, BSB, Tzeentch, Armor of Destiny, Halberd, Ironcurse Icon.

-Lvl2, Third Eye, Enchanted Shield, Dispel scroll or Spell Familiar (Collar of Khorne if you are faced with allot of direct damage magic).
    Mark what you want, I like Death or Tzeentch on disc.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Tarpits:
    Basically this is something that will slow your opponent down, pin him in place and keep him there untill you get your own units into position to counter the threat. A tarpit can really be anything. It can be a spawn (which is unbreakable) a big unit of marauders that are steadfast, a giant or even a chaos Lord who has the crown of command.

Hammer units:
    Basically, when you want something killed you use a 'hammer unit'. This is basically a unit that is killy. Chosen, warriors, knights and chariots are all good examples. If the enemy has these then you use your 'tarpit' units to hold them up untill you hit them with your own hammer units.

Anvil:

Kind of like a tarpit really. Something that will hold your lines, and unmoveable mountain of death or unkillability that anchors your line. This can be a big unit of 80 marauders that wont go anywhere or a rock hard unit of 18 Chosen with a BSB in.

Screens:
    Basically these are units that advance before your main units. They are harassing units that are cheap, expendable and fast. Their aim is to get in the way of shooting and enemy units, either disrupting their fire and battle lines or distracting the enemies attention from your main units. Examples are Chaos hounds, Horsemen and Forsaken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@maximus : I cant see why i would drop light armour; if i do that then the marauders have only a 6+AS with ligh tarmour they have a 5+ AS and a 5+WS.... please do enlighten me.
    @Lord Borak : Thanks bunches.
    I will be editing the list as soon as i can get some time to do so... I do hope you will continue with your advice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus-Prime View Post
    You can drop all light armor from your list. Thats 70 points right there.
    Add a Musician to the Horsemen.

Imo the Warrior blocks are to small, I prefer 18. But that's me, you should experiment and see what you like.

I would drop the chosen and use the points to beef up the other Warrior units.
    Also drop the festering shroud, it's not as awesome as you think. Banner of Rage with some halberds for this unit kicks ass.

Character wise, I would suggest something like this:

-Lvl 4, Infernal Puppet, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation.

-Exalted Hero, BSB, Tzeentch, Armor of Destiny, Halberd, Ironcurse Icon.

-Lvl2, Third Eye, Enchanted Shield, Dispel scroll or Spell Familiar (Collar of Khorne if you are faced with allot of direct damage magic).
    Mark what you want, I like Death or Tzeentch on disc.
    Hey, you can't take ironcurse icon; the armour he wears takes up all his magic item usage
    I assume Morgan Freeman is the voice of the Emperor.
    My Painting Log! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...nes-horde.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

@ tanfew, good point. I must have been thinking about the Talisman of Preservation, I normally don't put the Icon on my BSB, usually on a mage, or I don't take it at all.

@ Jewfro, if you fight a str4 opponent, his basic stat line just negated your light armor. The reason for taking Tzeentch+shield is that sweet sweet ward save, the fact that a shield also gives you a armor save is not the reason we put them on Marauders.
    For every 5 light armors you drop, you can take another one Marauder. I don't know the math, but I would argue that more Marauders is better.
    In this case 12 more Marauders so spread around.
    Marauders are our cannon fodder.

But that is really something you need to play with yourself, I mean, play a few games and see if that l.armor did it's moneys worth. Maybe it does with the way you use them, or the particular opponents you play. But for me, the uses I have for Marauders and my opponents, they don't need the l.armor.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

+ Reply to Thread