<3000 2500pt Tournament List- tear it apart! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

2500pt Tournament List- tear it apart!

This is a HUGE diversion from my normal armylist, but something that I'm thinking of trying out. The format is a 2500pt tournament, with 3 rounds, played out over a course of 3 weeks.
    Armies that I know (or am fairly certain will be present)
    - Lizardmen
    - Wood Elves (hefty Treekin regiment, 2+ Treemen, tons of bowmen)
    - Chaos Dwarfs
    - Empire (mega-gunline, with his only fighters being 10-15 Knights and 30 Halberdiers)
    - Skaven: easy player
    - Daemons

My list idea so far is:

L3 Sorc Lord w/ Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation (general)
    @ 285
    Daemon Prince w/ MoT
    @ 315

30 Warriors w/ MoK, Halberds, SB, Muso
    @ 533

15 Warriors of Chaos w/ MoT, Shields, SB, Muso
    @ 278

14 Warriors of Chaos w/ MoT, Shields, SB, Muso
    @ 262

10 Chaos Knights
    @ xxx

10 Chaos Knights
    @ xxx

2498/2500

The idea that I was rolling around in my head was to go with lots of VP denial with this list. The plan was to field the Halberds in the center and force them onto people, while the Tzeentchians cover my flanks and the Knights cover theirs or work their way up towards the enemy. The DP is actually just a skirmish/fast-cav/warmachine hunter and something extra for the enemy to worry about.

I have a lot of worries with the army though, it just doesn't feel solid compared to my usual 18 Chosen, 2x 15 Warriors, Sorc Lord, Sorc, BSB, Wulfrik&M.Horde, 10 MCav, Hellcannon setup. I'm not used to having so few regiments, and for that reason, I'm not very committed to that DP.

Please, show no mercy in ripping this list a new one.

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

What is the Demon Prince for? You can do both those things with a disc Riding Exalted with the golden eye, halberd and what ever else you want. For a good deal cheaper. This will free you some points up for some extras.

Your horde will need protecting. It may be one huge point denial but you need to protect it well to deny all those points. I would ditch the Mark of Khorne and replace it with Tzeentch, buy them the blasted standard and then add in a hero with Magic resistance. Don’t worry about loosing attacks by not being frenzied, you’re a horde of warriors. What is going to kill you?

Get the 3rd eye on your Level 3. Stealing enemy spells is amazing. Stealing light is just broken and life is always good for healing back your boys and making them tougher.

Gah, got to rush off to a job. Back in a bit!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Right- I like the Disc idea. I've had plans to convert one anyways. So I'm looking at:

Exalted, MoT, Halberd, Disc, Book of Secrets, Golden Eye, Stream of Corruption
    @ 214
    That saves me 100pts, 145 if I drop the Book and Stream.

Then I've got your suggestion for changing marks and picking up the Blasted. That's a total of +30pts to the cost of that regiment.

All of your suggestions leave me with 70pts left over. I'm not very keen on using the 3rd eye in my games. I don't know why, but it never feels like it was worth having those spells over Lore of Shadow. Remember- we're not allowed to use Regrowth (which would make it worth it's weight in gold).

For 70pts I could toss some shields onto my Horde, and still have 40pts left to play with... another level for my Sorc Lord, Banners on my Knights, or a Banner of Eternal Flame on a Knight regiment? What about turning that Disc rider into a BSB?

For a long time, I was actually considering dropping both Knight regiments down to 5, and picking up another D.Prince and then dropping my Sorc Lord down to a L2 with MoT, Dispel Staff, and Conjoined.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

So much for "back in a bit"......... You can't use regrowth but you can benefit from the Lores atribute

See I've had great fun with the 3rd eye. It is a waste of Shadow I suppose but you can always buy the Book on the exalted and then give him the 3rd eye. You have the Puppet on your Lord to stop him imploding anyways. Or buy a cheap level 1 with the 3rd eye for 110pts. Steal their best spells and 5 or 6 dice it. You've got the Puppet to keep him alive and if you do get unlucky and implode...... well it's not a big deal.

There are some Lores that are just better than Shadow. The Lore of Light is just sickening. I played an Undead army with a Vamp with Loremaster Light. Suddenly my Chosen had +1 attack and ASF and his Graveguard were at -1 to hit!! Alot of people will take magic to compensate for their own armies weaknesses. (WS10 Init10 Skellies?) If you can turn that against them or atleast counter it you'll have them on a back foot.

If you do take 2 Princes (never thought of doing that!) and take the Level 2 don't bother with the Dispel staff as +1 to dispell isn't worth 35pts. Keep the Infernal puppet and grab the 3rd eye. The Puppet will keep you alive and make the Enemy wizards very twitchy about putting lots of dice into spells. The 3rd eye will compensate you for not taking many levels (if he has a level4 then it's great value for points)

Still not sure about those Knight units myself. They'll either be unstoppable or die horribly. It will depend on what your opponent brings.

The Disc Rider BSB would be useful although he'll be one juicy target on his own (although you could chuck him with some Knights if you come up against shooty stuff. As for the Flaming banner, it wont work on Knights if they have the magic weapons. You'll have to buy them Lances first, or give one of the shield warriros the flaming banner.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; May 5th, 2011 at 22:35.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Hmm... I see your point. How about trying this out then?

L3 Sorc Lord w/ Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation (general)
    @ 285

Exalted, MoT, Halberd, Disc, Golden Eye, Stream of Corruption
    @ 189

Exalted BSB w/ MoT, Book of Secrets(fire), Dispel Scroll, Third Eye, Charmed Shield
    @ 225

Wulfrik the Wanderer
    @ xxx

29 Warriors w/ MoT, Halberds, Shields, SB, Muso, Blasted Standard
    @ 572

@ 278

@ 262

20 Marauders w/ Great Weapons
    @ 100

5 Chaos Knights
    @ xxx

5 Chaos Knights
    @ xxx

2496/2500

Ok, so I added in a BSB with the Book, Third Eye, and a Dispel Scroll. I think that I actually like that character so much, that I'll use him a lot of lists from now on. I also stuck in Wulfrik and 20 Marauders. I figure that I'll at least have a back-up plan if my Disc doesn't take out any Warmachines. If I don't need Wulfy&Co. as reserves, I can use the Marauders as a throw-away, and stick Wulfrik in the unit with my General to keep challenges away from the Sorcerer. I had some points left over, so I added Shields to my Horde, just to make them a little more resilient.

I have enough points to drop the Shields and Wulfrik&Co. and get a naked Tzeentch DP into the list, or get some M.Cav. I've been thinking of dropping a regiment of Knights for M.Cav anyways, but then I think that I'd be spreading my lines too thin (MCav, Wulfrik&Co, Disc all leave to hunt the backfield). Not sure what to do, I'm not certain that I'm a fan of the knights, but honestly I don't want to buy another box of Warriors or Chosen if I can avoid it.

Edit - Maximus has a good point about the Charmed Shield. However, it would put me 1pt over my limit and I don't want to lose the shield on my BSB (for a 5+ parry). There's still no reason not to include it, so I added it to my BSB instead (same cost as a mundane shield). This will hopefully make the miscasts a little easier to move around (S10 hit? discounted on a 2+, etc). Not to mention, it will keep him alive if he finds himself in a challenge.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; May 7th, 2011 at 22:06.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Charmed shield on the Sorc Lord! best points you ever spent.

I´ve had some good experiences with a lvl1 Tzeentch DP with 3rd eye and the Fury.
    Very versatile unit on his own.
    Steals spells, is at +2 to cast.
    Has a 2++ vs magic, nice ward vs regular stuff.
    Can solo small units.
    Has a fire spell (if you don't get Infernal Gateway, choose Flickering Fire).

Your list looks solid tho, can't really add more than Borak hasn't already.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Ok, I know it's been a few days, but I think that I've got a total overhaul of the list, and I need your input on something else.
    I've dropped out 12 of the Warriors from my Horde, because although it looked great on paper, it's somewhat wasteful on the tabletop. A lot of Warriors on the flanks were standing around asking "ok, now what?"

So here's what we've got now:

L4 Sorc Lord w/ Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation (general)
    @ 320

Exalted BSB w/ MoT, Book of Secrets(fire), Dispel Scroll, Third Eye, Shield
    @ 225

Wulfrik the Wanderer
    @ xxx

Festus the Leechlord
    @ xxx

16 Warriors w/ MoK, Halberds, Shields, SB, Muso, Banner of Eternal Flame
    @ 336

@ 278

@ 262

23 Marauders w/ GWs
    @115

Warshrine w/ MoT
    @ 150

5 Chaos Knights w/ MoK
    @ 230

Hellcannon
    @ xxx

2296/2500

So the question is: with the extra 170pts that I'm sitting here playing with, I can do:

- I can add in 5 Knights, either as a regiment or to bump my other regiment up to a total of 10.
    - I can drop my SorcLord to a L3, and then drop 6 of Wulfy's Marauders, and pick up a Shaggoth or a Giant of Slaanesh.
    - I can add in a Warshrine and boost Wulfy's unit to Horde status.
    - I haven't actually done the math, but I'm thinking of kicking the Sorc Lord to a L2 and then trying to put the Tzeentch Daemon Prince back in, or a disc lord.

Ideas? I'm thinking the Giant would help against nasty stuff like Hydras or Treemen, although I have a regiment of Poisoned, Flaming attacks with their name on it. The Shaggy and Giant are both equally effective at handling infantry regiments, same with the Daemon Prince (except he flies). The extra 5 Knights can boost my existing regiment up to a self-sufficient block, or add another drop to use as flankers.

The current idea for the Cannon and Knights is to field the Knights on the flank closest to the board-edge. That keeps the Cannon in the center to lob shots and guard my flank, and the faster knights can ride towards the midfield if I don't need them on the flanks. Where another monster or shrine would fit into all this, I don't know. I just know that more bodies = better odds for a win.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; July 2nd, 2011 at 17:34. Reason: updated to reflect changes @ tournament
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Never mind- I arrived at the gaming shop yesterday to find that they were already gearing up for the first round of the tournament, so I had to answer the question with what I had on hand. I went with adding a Warshrine with MoT, upgrading my Knights to MoK, and adding 3 more Marauders to Wulfrik's regiment.
    I played the first round, I'll post a link out to the battle report.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Maximus has a good point about the Charmed Shield. However, it would put me 1pt over my limit and I don't want to lose the shield on my BSB (for a 5+ parry). There's still no reason not to include it, so I added it to my BSB instead (same cost as a mundane shield).
    You can't benefit of parry with a magical shield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post

Exalted BSB w/ MoT, Book of Secrets(fire), Dispel Scroll, Third Eye, Shield
    @ 225
    I'd never give Third Eye to my BSB. I've used him with Book and Scroll, but I think it's too risky to roll a lot of dice to get off a great stolen spell with a D6+1 misscast. And if you want to use a low level spell from your enemy, maybe doesn't worth taking the Eye.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast