First 1,000 points Warriors of Chaos army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First 1,000 points Warriors of Chaos army

Hi there!
    This is my first thread on the forum and I was just looking for some advice, I've been snooping around for a few weeks looking at project logs for inspiration and what not, but I finally bought the army book the other day and now have my first army list for the models that I've got. I haven't played WHFB for a few years now and have only had one 8th edition 'test game' so far, so I just chose units that I like, I have the models for and that I think will be fairly effective, but I really would appreciate any comments, criticisms or help of any kind! Anyways, here goes...

Chaos Sorcerer - MoT, Disc of Tzeentch, Channeling Staff

Wulfrik the Wanderer

30 Chaos Marauders - MoK, Full Command, Flails, Shields, Light Armour (Wulfrik's unit)

10 Chaos Warriors - Full Command, Shields

15 Chaos Marauders - Full Command, Light Armour, Shields

15 Chaos Marauders - Full Command, Light Armour, Shields

And that's about it, I don't really know whether a spell familiar would be more useful on the sorcerer than the channeling staff (as I don't really know 8th edition magic that well), and I guess my main tactics would be to just advance with the 3 main units, fly around and fire off spells here and there with the sorcerer and then either flank or appear behind the main army with Wulfrik when I get the good roll.

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this should be posted in the army list subforum. just fyi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't realise, sorry!
    I've now moved it to the subforum

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Umlaut31 View Post
    Didn't realise, sorry!
    Please don't create a second thread (as you did), just report the original and the mods will move it.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Umlaut31 View Post
    Didn't realise, sorry!
    Please don't create a second thread (as you did), just report the original and the mods will move it.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Well, you have a solid core idea, but I think that your unit sizes are a little wonky. For example, even as hard as Warriors are, with only 10 guys they will get rolled. The blocks of 15 Tzeentch Marauders, what are you going to accomplish with them? They have very little killing potential, and (personal opinion) I don't feel that tarpits like that are all that effective, especially at lower point matches were there are very few Deathstar units that need to be tarpitted. I prefer a big block of Marauders of Slannesh (so they don't ever get pulled out of position) with Great Weapons (so they hit hard and keep on hitting hard).

As for equipment in general, why shields on the Flail Marauders? they can't use them in combat, and it's not going to be that big a difference in surviving shooting, and then in combat a 6+ armor save from Light Armor isn't going to do all that much. Again, this is personal opinion, but I would rather just buy more Marauders than give them armor. Also, you have Unit Camps in every unit. We only ever use them to protect our Sorcerers from Challenges; so who are you protecting with all those Unit Champs? If you drop the champs and the armor off of the Marauder blocks (switching the Shield Marauders to Flails so they accept a charge while doing a lot of damage, which acts as a deterrent) you save enough points to buy you I think 6 more warriors, making that block significantly more formidable.

As for your Sorcerer, I would equip him with the Spell Familiar and the Golden Eye of Tzeentch. Get yourself another spell to cast (and also help ensure you Treason, which is one of the best spells in the game, if somewhat situational) while giving you a 3++ save versus almost all the attacks that are going to be aimed at him (missiles and Magic Missiles). You can afford this (I think) by dropping the Unit Champs, dropping the armor on your Marauders, and increasing the Warrior block to only 15. That should be enough to net you those items on your Sorcerer.

In any case, I hope this helps

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

Unless I did the math wrong you're over your hero limit by 75 pts. You would need to drop Wulfy, probably bump your sorcerer up to lvl2 as well.

Otherwise what Papa_Wheely said.

+ Reply to Thread