<3000 Big Guys - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Guys

Thinking of trying this list. I love Trolls and monsters. (I really don't care for ogres)

Galrauch
    Throgg
    Trolls x7
    Trolls x6
    Trolls x6
    Warhounds x18
    Warhounds x18
    Warhounds x5 w/ Scaly Skin
    Dragon Ogres x4 w/ Great Weapon, Champion
    Dragon Ogre Shaggoth w/ 2 Hand Weapon

2500pts

I think this list will be fun, not looking for smashing all tournaments, but needs to be functional.

2. LikeLolthien liked this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

I have no idea how good it would be but I'd love to see the look on your opponents face when you drop a dragon, a shaggoth and an army of trolls on the board. If you can manage to to hit the fire dealers of your opponent with the drogres then you should be able to put a world of hurt on him. Of course ... that point level with no bsb? i know I know ...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Ld issues are just part of the program with this list. You just have to suck it up and deal, and hope you can get into CC fast (which shouldn't be too hard, with M 6+ all over the place). That said, I would not consider this list complete without a Sorc Lord - magic will OWN you otherwise.

To that end, I think 2 bigger blocks of Trolls to protect Throgg (because if he goes down, your army will have some serious issues) or even one Deathstar Horde would be the way to go. Getting as many Trolls into CC as you can is important.
    Last edited by rothgar13; June 24th, 2011 at 01:57.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x3)

With Throgg the trolls should be fine for leadership and Galruch is a lvl 4 ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

chaos trolls are AWESOME, i ran my troll horde last night at the club (17x trolls with Throgg) and they absolutely raped face. Galrauch is iffy, you could use a sorc lord on a manticore with death or shadow

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x3)

I don't have any trolls at the moment but they're actually my next purchase, which will have to wait since i just bought two battalions. I'd love to run a troll army just for kicks though, I mean there's only so much fire damage out there ...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't Throgg essentially act as a monstrous Banner for Break tests? Plus he's LD 8 and is the Generaal. Just watch out for Pit! xD
    I assume Morgan Freeman is the voice of the Emperor.
    My Painting Log! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...nes-horde.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Now this is an awesome army. But drop the scaly skin on those hounds and get, well, another hound or something. Or were points so tight that you just had 5 left with nothing else to do?
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought about this kind of a list for a while and quite like it.
    Is there anything wrong with, say, a Khorne BSB on Juggernaught to keep with the theme?

Personally I'd drop all the hounds. They have no combat value whatsoever and for the same price as those units you can have a hellcannon
    I'd probably run the Trolls as a 7 (with Throgg) and an 8 and use the extra points for a BSB

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took some inspiration from this list here for my friendly game last night. Here's what I brought:

Lvl 4 Tzeentch Sorc on Disk w/3rd eye and puppet
    Throgg
    BSB on Daemonic Mount w Rapturous standard and Halberd
    Trolls x 8
    Trolls x 7
    Trolls x 7
    Dragon Ogre x 3 w/ great weapons
    Shaggoth
    Chaos Spawn w/ Slaanesh
    Chaos Spawn w/ Tzeentch
    Scyla

Short Story, Draw game, but a moral victory as I've literally NEVER beaten his DE as Chaos.
    Was fighting Dark Elves. My opponent didn't expect this army, and I'm sure that contributed to how well I did. He brought:
    Lvl 4 Shadow Sorc
    Lvl 2 Metal Sorc
    Dreadlord (that had to be held back as reserve and was general, this also helped me out considerably)
    40 Spearmen
    Cauldron of Blood
    2 x 20 Blackguard
    2 x 22 Crossbowmen
    Hydra

I piled up heavy on one flank since he had to put his whole army down first.
    My unit of 8 trolls were able to get into combat with his crossbowmen on turn one. Chaos Spawn and Scyla were able to flank a unit of Blackguard with the help of some trolls eventually killed them. The Shaggoth got pretty much destroyed by the hydra, and the Dragon Ogre unit wasn't much better, although I would have done better to give them two hand weapons I think. But negating a 4+ scaly skin on the hydra was kinda nice. My BSB got challenged by his Dreadlord (who had the 1+ armor save and reverse ward save) I got lucky and got him down to one wound before I died. Throgg finished him off.

Good points:
    Large units of trolls get a TON of rolls on the EoG chart. I rolled during shooting phases, magic phases, cc phases. They were horribly grotesque by the end of the game. Awesome.
    Throgg was a lifesaver. D6 S5 wounds in a personal challenge that negates armor saves is awesome, not to mention I only ever had a single unit break all night, and that was because it was out of Throgg's Range.
    Chaos Spawn (Scyla especially) a few good rolls and you have 6 or more attacks in a cc round, and a large toughness makes these guys great against a str 3-4 army.
    Sorc on Disk. Will be my go-to-standard General from now on. Able to stay out of the way and still get into position to cast some craziness. Just make sure to keep him close to another unit for a Look Out Sir! roll if opponent has artillery.

Not-So-Great:
    Shaggoth. Maybe it's not meant to be a monster hunter, and I would expect it to last a lot longer against units with low Str, but it did NOTHING to justify 265 points last night
    Dragon Ogres: Two hand weapons are almost a no-brainer, and I will try that next time I bring them. But still, one hydra took these guys and the Shaggoth down by itself, and I had flank for a round or two on him.

So I just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration! It was areally fun game last night!
    Last edited by Lolthien; July 2nd, 2011 at 22:49. Reason: Forgot a unit of trolls

+ Reply to Thread