<2000 1500 pts list seeking perfection - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pts list seeking perfection

Hi there. Been playing Warhammer 8th ed quite a bit last year, but took a break from it and been wanting to get into gaming again. Played a lot of 40k, but currently more interested in fantasy. Only currently got a battalion and a sorcerer for models.
    Been toying around with a "proxy army" made out of other warhammer models, just to playtest it.

This is what I've come up with for 1500 pts:

Heroes:
    Sorcerer - lvl 2 lore of fire, infernal puppet, charmed shield (general)
    160 pts

Exalted hero - BSB, halberd, "luckstone"? (lack of points for better armour)
    144 pts

Core
    17x Warriors, full command, MoT, shields, standard of discipline (sorcerer joins here, 6x3 formation)
    337 pts

17x Warriors, full command, MoK, halberds, banner of eternal flame (BSB joins here, 6x3 formation)
    342 pts

18x Marauders, musician, flails (6x3 formation)
    94 pts

Special
    6x Trolls (3x2 formation)
    270 pts

Rare
    Warshrine, MoT
    150 pts

Got no experience with trolls, but just feel like knights are way too overpriced (5 knights with command and mark is actualy more expensive than 6 trolls). What do you guys think for this army? Trolls (note: they got LD 9 from my sorcerer general) or knights?

Other than that, what do you think? acceptable? subject to minor changes? or rewrite the whole thing?

Thanks
    - Vezzax

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Vezzax View Post
    Hi there. Been playing Warhammer 8th ed quite a bit last year, but took a break from it and been wanting to get into gaming again. Played a lot of 40k, but currently more interested in fantasy. Only currently got a battalion and a sorcerer for models.
    Been toying around with a "proxy army" made out of other warhammer models, just to playtest it.

This is what I've come up with for 1500 pts:

Heroes:
    Sorcerer - lvl 2 lore of fire, infernal puppet, charmed shield (general)
    160 pts

Magic phase will be very weak, only 2 spells to choose from.

Exalted hero - BSB, halberd, "luckstone"? (lack of points for better armour)
    144 pts

This guy needs a shield/MoT at least for survivability

Core
    17x Warriors, full command, MoT, shields, standard of discipline (sorcerer joins here, 6x3 formation)
    337 pts

17x Warriors, full command, MoK, halberds, banner of eternal flame (BSB joins here, 6x3 formation)
    342 pts

If you have an exalted, then you can always drop the champion to give him a better save - then he can issue/accept challenges.

18x Marauders, musician, flails (6x3 formation)
    94 pts

This unit is a bit of a throwaway, and could panic easily. Why not give your heroes better equipment and have some hounds for screening the warrior blocks?

Special
    6x Trolls (3x2 formation)
    270 pts

Rare
    Warshrine, MoT
    150 pts

Got no experience with trolls, but just feel like knights are way too overpriced (5 knights with command and mark is actualy more expensive than 6 trolls). What do you guys think for this army? Trolls (note: they got LD 9 from my sorcerer general) or knights?

Trolls are very good, just make sure they stay near your general, and don't forget the mutant regeneration rule - that's what makes them really shine.

Other than that, what do you think? acceptable? subject to minor changes? or rewrite the whole thing?

Thanks
    - Vezzax
    Generally its looks like a good all-comers list, but I think the Khorne warriors are going to need some screening from shooting for at least one round and the heroes/marauders look a bit weak.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you mean, but BSB's can't have a shield so what you are suggesting would contradict with the rulebook. But when you mention it I do agree he needs to get beefed up. Thinking about dropping the champion in the MoK unit and the luckstone giving me 17 points. I have 3 points left over already which makes it a total of 20. What do you think about getting MoT and dragonhelm? since he can't have a shield I reckon it's the best option. he's got 3+ save, 6+ ward anyways then. I do agree that my magic phase is lacking, but I can't have both infernal puppet and spell familiar for extra spells (both arcane items, and people have suggested infernal puppet in previous threads). A functional lvl 4 spellcaster would cost me 350 pts+ which I can't afford. So I don't really have an option at 1,5k pts.

Might swap the marauders for some screening hounds, but the difference between marauders and hounds is that marauders are actualy worth their points in combat as well. if they hit a flank they got 12 ws4 S5 I4 attacks. Don't agree it's a waste of points since they're dirt cheap and deal as much damage as most elite infantry in the first round of combat.

As for magic again. eventhough I only got 2 spells, 1 of them is always gonna be the signature fireball. infernal puppet makes me able to throw 6 dice at a lvl3 fireball without thinking too much of the consequences of a miscast. it is also gonna help my dispell since people don't wonna throw too many dice and risk losing all their magic lvls or blow themselves up due to a modified miscast roll.

Don't get me wrong thanks for your reply! just trying to defend the list in order to discribe what I had in mind when I wrote it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Marauders are a "go big or go home" sort of unit - they don't move fast, and their armor is terrible, but they hit really well for their points. As such, it's the perfect unit to just bring a big horde (read: 40+) of, suit up with Great Weapons and Mark of Khorne, and throw at whatever you can crush with sheer weight of numbers and attack power. Screening and flanking are just not something they do - that's the job of Marauder Horsemen.

Your BSB definitely needs more protection, otherwise he's just easy VP for enemy characters - a 4+ armor is chump change for most fighty guys. A L2 is also not enough casting for a typical WoC army - you've already forsaken the shooting phase and you move slow, you don't want to be a mediocre magic army too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay, so judging by what you say; I guess I should drop the marauder unit unless I can maximize it? I should beef up my characters, probably making my wizard a lvl 4? Add some hounds for screening?

Tried the best I could to rearrange my list in this way

Lords:
    Sorcerer Lord (General), lvl4, MoT, infernal puppet, charmed shield, disc of tzeentch (couldn't fit the points for talisman of perservation, charmed shield should take the first cannon hit, otherwise he will try and stay out of LoS).
    350 pts

Heroes:
    Exalted hero, BSB, dragonhelm, Halberd, MoT
    159 pts

Core:
    17 Warriors, Musician, standard, raptorous standard, shields, MoT (BSB goes in here)
    330 pts

18 Warriors, Full command, MoK, Halberds, Banner of eternal flame
    358 pts

5 Warhounds
    30 pts

Special:
    6 Trolls
    270 pts

Total:
    1497 pts

Is this all in all a better army list?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

I would drop the dragon helm, give him armour of morrslieb with MoT, or give him the generic magic armour that gives him a 5+/4+ Both will give him a good save with a nice ward save. I would also drop the disc, I know your trolls will have to move slower, however you save points and dont make your general a giant single target with no real ward save. You might also consider maybe dropping a troll to give you MoK warriors shields for a higher save against enemy shooting. With the extra points you can get your talisman of preservation because you dropped a troll and the disc. Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Vezzax
    I see what you mean, but BSB's can't have a shield so what you are suggesting would contradict with the rulebook.
    This rule is nowhere in the rulebook, perhaps in some earlier edition but not in 8th ed.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

At 1500 points I wouldn't even take a sorcerer lord, I think 2 lvl 2s and a BSB would be plenty for this points level. Because of our solid core, woc do really well in lower point games. Take advantage of this. Deck out your BSB so that he stays safe, he's very important for your army, and take shields on your khorne warriors. Good luck! Hope I helped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Noma View Post
    At 1500 points I wouldn't even take a sorcerer lord, I think 2 lvl 2s and a BSB would be plenty for this points level. Because of our solid core, woc do really well in lower point games. Take advantage of this. Deck out your BSB so that he stays safe, he's very important for your army, and take shields on your khorne warriors. Good luck! Hope I helped
    Two lvl 2s are about the same points cost as a single Sorcerer Lord. I think you get more out of the sorclord, you'll have as many spells, but you'll have +4 to cast and dispel instead of +2, you can choose the splendid lores of shadow and heaven, and you can choose a lore and be more certain to get the spells you want from it (you CAN do this with two lvl2s as well, if they choose the same lore, but then you can as well take the SorcLord). I take a SorcLord in games of 1250 and above, I find that it is always worth it.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    Two lvl 2s are about the same points cost as a single Sorcerer Lord. I think you get more out of the sorclord, you'll have as many spells, but you'll have +4 to cast and dispel instead of +2, you can choose the splendid lores of shadow and heaven, and you can choose a lore and be more certain to get the spells you want from it (you CAN do this with two lvl2s as well, if they choose the same lore, but then you can as well take the SorcLord). I take a SorcLord in games of 1250 and above, I find that it is always worth it.
    It's true that having +4 to dispel and +4 to cast is nice, but all it takes is one miscast or one failed to cast spell, and suddenly your magic phase is done. I feel like have two level 2's is safer, but that's just my opinion. Your giving up something either way I guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast