<2000 1000pt vs. Skaven - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

1000pt vs. Skaven

Tomorrow I have a game against Skaven and I'm bringing the hurt...

Heroes: 170

The Pyromancer

Chaos Sorcerer [FIRE]
    level II
    spell familiar
    charmed shield
    sword of might
    favor of the gods
    luckstone

Core: 700

Ill Intentions

13 Warriors
    halberds/shields
    MoN
    mus/std
    Banner of Rage

18 Chaos Marauders
    flails
    MoK
    mus/std

18 Chaos Marauders
    flails
    MoK
    mus/std

18 Chaos Marauders
    flails
    MoK
    mus/std

Special: ###
    Chaos Warshrine

Total: 1000pts

OK guys, what do you think?

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Sorcerer:
    Why fire? Fire never really does much damage for me, it's good for sniping down War Machines I suppose but the 5 or so kills a spell will do are a mere drop in the ocean to Skaven. I'd probably go for Tzeentch or Death. Tzeentch has a Magic missile for taking out Warmachines and with Spells like Pandemonium it can really screw up some plans. Treason is also handy for knocking out large chunks of units. Death is obviously great for knocking out their numerous and important heroes like their casters, General and BSB. Their low Ld makes the sniping spells very nasty.

Marauders:
    I'm not sure how effective these units will be. You'll win the first round but the Skaven will be steadfast and then you'll be str3 with no Armour and no prayer. I'd consolidate the units into 2 and give them Great weapons.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

Can they bring an abom at 1k? Is that why you brought fire? I agree with borak, treason would be better - meaning MoT.

Aren't Skaven pretty low on the T scale? Do you need the huge bump to S against them? I ask because I really haven't played them before but when I think of rats I think of squishy little rodents.

I would also think something that causes fear would be fun but then it's only a 1k list, so perhaps there goes that idea.

IN regards to your sorcerer, he's your one and only character and he's going in without a ward?
    I will drink your milk shake! I will drink it up!
    I just bought my wife a mini-van, the gods of Chaos have nothing on reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I think it seems like a pretty good list. The lore of Fire is pretty good against skaven actually, consider the following spells:

Piercing bolts of burning: does more damage the more ranks the enemy unit has.
    Firewall: damages every model in the unit, if it moves, against skaven that means pretty much killing off 20 rats in one swoop unless they stand still.
    Burning head: causes panic tests, good against their crappy Ld.
    Flame storm: Lots of big units = good targets for this spell.

Fire cloak and flaming sword are always good for you as well, especially since you can wound on 1+ when everything you got is Str 5 vs their T 3.

And of course it helps you take care of the Abomination, if he would bring it.

Marauders are a good choice since Skaven have a lot of armor piercing/no armor save-guns.

Probably would be a good idea to take some time to re-work the magic items on the Sorcerer though... spell familiar is good, but the rest seems a little haphazard. The third eye would be good for him to have, I think. You never know.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

Good advice guys,

I started re-writing the list, but it ended up becoming a godawful mess and looked a bit boring to play so I'm going to run the list as is, I think. Pics of the game will be posted om the Battle Reports Forum later tonight.

In reply to my fellow generals' concerns:
    1. Borak - I agree with the Great Weapons, but like you said, that means consolidating into two blocks [6x6 probably] which is risky against Skaven plague magic. The key theme I've been experimenting with is using smaller units of flail marauders with versatile magic/combat. So far it's been working out pretty well. Steadfast will mean less when adding in a warshrine/warriors.
    2. Blackheart - Str.5 is the ideal for infantry IMO, since you wound on the minimum against T3 and cut through 5+ armor, which is very common. Skaven are mostly T3 but they also have monks with T4, A-boms T5, and Doomwheels T6. Skaven don't fear that much with the Strength in Numbers rule [usually ld.9]. The sorcerer is a bit fragile with only 3+ to is armor save, but he also has a re-rollable save and 3 Str.5 attacks AND some EotG bonus.
    3. Viktor - I picked fire because it is pretty good against T3 armies with low armor [like Skaven]. The two spells I really want are piercing bolts of burning & flame storm, but fire cloak would do nicely too. Yeah, I agree he should have some sort of ward save, but at 1K I think I can take the risk.

May Khorne smile up on the bloodshed to come!

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

I came, I saw, I kicked his ratty ass.

The game was a complete blow out, I rolled 11 on EotG and got Stubborn +4WS.

For magic I rolled Fire Storm, Burning Bolts and picked Fireball. Half his army was burned to a crisp and panicking before the third turn - then his warpfire team went nuts and destroyed the last viable unit.

Marauders chewed his ogres to bits, and the warriors laughed at the silly warp lightning cannon.

His army was an aesthetic mess, horribly unpainted with broken/missing models so I gave up trying to pictures.

This list was very effective - lost 2 warriors and 3 marauders in total.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Congrats on your win there Dude. How did those Marauders work out against his Rats in combat? Or did they not even face those 50+ units of Clan Rats or even bigger units of Slaves?

His army was an aesthetic mess, horribly unpainted with broken/missing models
    Some people can't be helped.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

The fire magic killed off so many [Firestorm - OMG!] that his numbers meant nothing. His biggest units had 40 clan rats but I killed multitudes during the 2nd turn and they panicked.

Even had the marauders made combat, Lore of Fire decimates their numbers so badly that there was no way he would have had steadfast at the end of combat.

PS. Also, at 1000pts. he could only really field 3 big blocks, and I had 4 high damage units, so flanking was almost a foregone conclusion.
    Last edited by Antithesis; September 26th, 2011 at 12:09.

+ Reply to Thread