<2000 New to WoC and need 2k Friendly advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to WoC and need 2k Friendly advice

So I've had some WoC models for a while now (since the new book came out) and have played little friendly games here and there just to try em out.

One word, awesome.

I'm trying to get a 2k point game going (friendly) against an Orc/Goblin army and have no idea where to begin. My biggest fear is the magic phase and enemy shooty phase (as regrettably WoC doesn't have one).

Budget is tight but I do have Warriors, Marauders, Chaos Knights, Marauder Horsemen, 2x Spawn, 5 Chosen, 10 hounds, Chariot, and Lord on Juggernaut.

I'll have to make some conversion somewhere to make one a Sorcerer I guess but yeah..I've smashed up his army once in a small game but we went with 0 sorcerers just so I could get a feel for the WoC.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Hey dude, good job on choosing the best army in the game.

It's a little hard telling you what to take without knowing exactly what models you have in your collection. Is there a chance you can tell us how many Warriors/Marauders etc you have available to you? Also it would be nice to know what equipment you have on the models too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I agree with Borak that a solid number for the warriors and marauders would help greatly in suggesting a list. I do suggest converting a sorcerer lord though. Make him a level 4 and give him a little gear to keep him alive and he'll be a valuable asset to your army. Lore is a matter of choice. Most members, myself included, would recommend keeping him unmarked to take either Heavens or Shadow for the lore. I'd recommend Tzeetch if you go for a marked lore since I find Nurgle and Slaanesh can be done better by core lores, and Pandemonium and Treason can be devastating spells in the right situation. Easiest way to approach 2k I find is to take a fairly bare-bones Sorceror Lord and BSB, then fill the rest with bodies and possibly another hero level unit if you can spare the points.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

definitely take a sorcerer lord in a 2k list, it looks like you have nearly all the essentials to make a good list though, if you want to get creative! maybe make your own hellcannon!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warriors - 50 w/ 1H+Shield

Marauders - 38 w/ Flails

Chaos Knights - 5 w/ halberds+shield

Marauder Horsemen - 5 (currently unarmed but thinking flails for them too)

Chaos Spawn - 2

Chaos Chariot - 1

Chaos Lord on Juggernaut - 1

Chaos Warhounds - 10

Chosen - 10
    Sorcerers - 0 (still gotta buy this one but was thinking of converting an older model warrior to stand out a little until I can get one)

That's what I have available to me now. Not a great selection, but with some help I think I could get a few orc heads rolling~!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

50 Warriors and 38 Marauders is a VERY nice start Ok, with your list I'd do something along these lines.

Sorcerer Lord, Level 4, Preservation, Charmed Shield, Infernal Puppet. [355]
    Exalted, MoT, BSB, Armour of Destiny, Halberd. [199]

18 Warriors, MoT, Shields, Std & Musician [326]
    18 Warriors, MoT, Shields, Std & Musician [326]
    10 Warriors, MoK, Halberds, Std & Musician, Banner of Flame [218] (Use the Chosen models for these guys.)
    38 Marauders, MoK, Great Weapons, Musician & Std. [232] (I know they have flails but I'm sure people wont mind if you tell them they're meant to be Great Weapons)
    2x 5 Chaos Hounds. [60]

5 Chaos Knights, MoK. [230]

Right, that list is 1946pts which leaves you some room for other bits. With it I would....

1] Make the Warrior unit with Halberds 12 strong, or...
    2] Give your two other units of Warriors a magic standard, or....
    3] use the points to give your Sorcerer Lord a Mark and the 3rd Eye of Tzeentch.

8. Thanksalfyb623 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my first response disappeared on me so..

My question now is which units do you recommend tossing the Sorc Lord and the Exalted into? I see most people toss them in with warriors or knights but wasn't sure if WoC Army had better preferences for tagging a character to a unit.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

It really depends on what you equip him with, or does his equipment depend on where you place him?............ That's a bit of a catch 22 I think. Anyway....

If you're going to chuck him in with Warriors/Knights/Chosen or any dedicated combat unit then your sorcerer will undoubtedly end up in combat and probably challenges as well. This means you'll have to be packing a decent ward save and maybe a Magic weapon as well. So, seeing as my Sorcerer Lord is in a Chosen unit, I arm mine with the Talisman of Preservation, the charmed shield and the Rune Sword. This makes him killy and durable

If you're intentions are to have him far away from combat and on his own hiding somewhere then you'll need to protect him to survive the gun fire and magic that will pick him out from afar. So, items like a decent Ward save, Magic resistance etc will keep him alive but he wont need a magic weapon as he won't, hopefully, be any where near combat. You could still go for the charmed Shield, Preservation and a cheap Magic resistance item.

As for Exalteds, as long as they're packing a decent armour and/or Ward save chuck 'em where ever you like. In a Warrior Block is always good as he will most likely be with or around the rest of your regiments to pass on his BSB re-roll. If he is with Knights he'll most likely be on the flank or far away from the rest of your force and thus waste his BSB upgrade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it may come down to adding the Rune Sword to the Sorc Lord because I know the opposing army has 40 night goblins, a regiment of wolf riders, 2 spear chukkas, doom diver, and a couple sorcs of their own that probably wouldn't have too hard of a time picking off a single character.

Do Ward Saves work the same as Armor Saves? i.e. 3+ Arm Save means 3+ die roll from me saves my guys so a 3+ Ward would do the same thing? I have never had Ward saves with past experiences (I used to play Wood Elves and thought having 200 archers was a good thing...no more shoot phase for me!)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

Armor saves and ward saves are only the same in that they are saves. Armor saves can be modified by armor piercing and the S of the attacking unit, plus they're taken first. Then the ward save is taken and there is nothing that modifies a ward save so yes, a 3+ ward save is always a save on a 3+. Keep in mind though there are some things that ignore all saves and lots of things that ignore armor saves.
    I will drink your milk shake! I will drink it up!
    I just bought my wife a mini-van, the gods of Chaos have nothing on reality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast