<1000 1000 Pt. Warriors of Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 Pt. Warriors of Chaos

Hello,

this is my first list for Warhammer: Warriors of Chaos. It utilizes units I would like to use for larger lists. Since I am brand new to the game I would appreciate any and all critique of my army lists as I certainly do not expect to be an expert. However, I think the list I have created is a pretty good "educated guess" at a 1000 pt. army list that I would expect to be pretty effective. Let me know what you think and thank you for all the advice in advance!

Exalted Hero
    -Army Battle Standard
    -Halberd
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Blasted Standard
    (189)

Chaos Sorcerer
    -Level 2 Wizard
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Spell Familiar
    (155)

Chaos Warriors X10
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Shields
    -Halberds
    ( 198 )

Chaos Warriors X10
    -Mark of Khorne
    -Shields
    -Halberds
    -Standard Bearer
    (212)

Chaos Marauders X20
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Great Weapons
    -Standard Bearer
    ( 128 )

Chaos Marauders X20
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Great Weapons
    -Standard Bearer
    ( 128 )

Total: 1002 Pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

#1: Mark of Khorne is better for a great weapon marauder unit, as is a horde formation with at least 40 models.
    #2: Infernal Puppet is pure gold, never leave home without it
    #3: I'd suggest a 3+ ward save through talisman of preservation and Tzeentch for the BSB
    #4: warhounds can be very good against armies such as O&G to draw out fanatics/mangler squigs and take charges from bigger things to spare your more expensive units. 2units of 5 may be good at this level
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

4. ThanksRedhand_Rory thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x1)

its a generally an ok looking list, but its got a few issues that need to be looked at.

first of all, youve spent too many points on heros. your limit at 1k is 250pts so thats pretty much gonna limit you to one or maybe 2 if theyre both cheap.

your exalted hero/bsb is flimsy. very flimsy. hes gonna hit pretty hard, but as soon as someone swings back hes gonna get trounced. or killed by magic. he needs a better ward save if hes going to survive.

the sorcerer needs looking at too. hes going to be playing the roll of general because the exalted, being the bsb, cant. with nothing but a 4+ armour save and a 6+ ward keeping him alive, hes not going to last long. if he wernt your general i would actually say he doesnt need much of a ward save but being that he is, he does.
    with all that said, id take either a single beefed up sorcerer, or an exalted-made-sorcerer as your general, and dropping the bsb entierly.
    the exalted in question would look something like this
    exalted
    halberd
    book of secrets
    third eye of tzeentch
    collar of khorne
    mark of tzeentch
    at.. i think... 199 points hes alot less points than youve got invested in heroes atm, and just as effective, if not more so, than either of the other characters.

now for the core. it would probably benefit you most to combine both the warriors and the marauders into larger units to make them each more effective.
    either go with 17 or 23 warriors (18 or 24 with the general) for a 6 man front with 3-4 ranks deep. throw them a magic banner, like the blasted standard, and a mark of tzeentch and they will be able to survive anything and kill whatever they get their hands on.
    the marauders in a 40 marauder horde will not only give you more ranks fighting, but will cost less points, as youll only have to pay for the mark and standard once. give em a musician with the points left over.

now i know that the list i described might be leaving you with only 2 large units that are ripe targets for magic or arrows or even flank charges, but they should be able to stand up to whatever comes their way. and youll have points left over from where you had invested in the heroes selection. maybe enough for a couple units of dogs to help with deployment/war machines, or possibly even marauder horsemen.

thats my advice. it might seem like alot of rambling, and it probably is, but i hope it at least helps.

6. ThanksRedhand_Rory thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the advice. After considering your suggestions I have developed a revised list. Let me know of changes that should be made to this list.

Chaos Sorcerer
    -Level 2 Wizard
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Third Eye of Tzeentch
    -Infernal Puppet
    -Spell Familiar
    ( 215 )

Chaos Warriors X18
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Shields
    -Halberds
    -Standard Bearer
    -Musician
    ( 344 )

Chaos Marauders X40
    -Mark of Khorne
    -Great Weapons
    -Standard Bearer
    -Musician
    ( 242 )

Marauder Horsemen X5
    -Mark of Khorne
    -Light Armour
    -Flails
    -Standard Bearer
    ( 122 )

Chaos Warhounds X5
    -Poisoned Attacks
    ( 45 )

Chaos Warhounds X5
    ( 30 )

Total: 998

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Unfortunately your sorcerer can't have the infernal puppet & spell familiar, as they are both arcane items and characters can only have one of each type of item. You'll have to drop one, I would probably take the puppet over the familiar though, it's gold. The poisoned attacks on the hounds are really wasted, as warhounds are used for gun fodder, and redirecting, not actual combat. Other than that nice list

9. ThanksRedhand_Rory thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ok, thank you Noma. So going over my chaos sorcery I am considering an enchanted shield, talisman of protection, or the bronze armour of zhrakk in place of the spell familiar.

And I agree that the poison attacks are a waste but I was not sure what to do with the extra 17 points I would be left with, might as well use them towards something right? Should I make 2 units of Warhounds X6 or give them scaly skin?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Since the sorcerer will be your general(highest leadership value/only character) not being able to confer his leadership through the bronze armor of zhrakk would be a bit wasted for such minimal protection. However with talisman of protection, he has a pretty nice 5+ ward save when combined with MoT, so I would stick with that. You could take those extra points used on the hounds for poison attacks, and give your unit of warriors a cheap magic standard, lichebone pennant, standard of discipline, or banner of eternal flame, or even banner of swiftness are all excellent banners.

12. ThanksRedhand_Rory thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm....I didn't consider a magic banner but that is a great idea.

That considered my finalized list looks like this

Chaos Sorcerer
    -Level 2 Wizard
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Third Eye of Tzeentch
    -Infernal Puppet
    -Talisman of Protection
    ( 215 )

Chaos Warriors X18
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Shields
    -Halberds
    -Standard Bearer
    -Musician
    -Banner of Swiftness
    ( 359 )

Chaos Marauders X40
    -Mark of Khorne
    -Great Weapons
    -Standard Bearer
    -Musician
    ( 242 )

Marauder Horsemen X5
    -Mark of Khorne
    -Light Armour
    -Flails
    -Standard Bearer
    ( 122 )

Chaos Warhounds X5
    ( 30 )

Chaos Warhounds X5
    ( 30 )

Total: 998

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x1)

i think that looks like a really solid build! the caster is a solid general, the warriors and marauders will munch right through whatever they get into, the horsemen will be great at redirecting and smashing small units, and the dogs are dogs! i might just copy this list for my small games...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great! I am glad I have a very solid list to begin with in Warhammer. Always nice to know you have something others may want to use. Of course I could not have made that list without all of the great feedback, so thank you!

+ Reply to Thread