Librarium Online Forums banner

2500 Throgg List

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Marnepup 
#1 ·
Thinking about putting together a 2500pt Throgg list for my weekly friendly mash-up. Opponents can be skaven, beastmen, vampires, tomb kings, goblins, empire, lizards and high elves.

I usually field a warrior heavy list but would like to try something different. Anyway, comments welcome.

Throgg - General - 175

Exalted hero - 274
BSB
Book of Secrets
Dispel Scroll
Third eye of Tzeentch
Mark of Tzeentch
Daemonic Mount
Extra Hand Weapon

8 Trolls - 360
Throgg goes here

6 Trolls - 270

6 Trolls - 270

3 Dragon Ogres - 239
Champion
Extra Hand Weapon

Hellcannon - 205

6 Ogres - 350
Mark of Khorne
Extra Hand Weapon
Chaos Armor
Champion
Standard Bearer & Musician

Giant - 265
Mark of Slaanesh

5 hounds - 30

5 hounds - 30

5 hounds - 30

total -2498

Major concern is magic defense. With only a lvl 1 wizard to dispel,the magic phase will hurt. The dispel scroll will help of course. The extra +1 from MoT and Third eye on the BSB should give him some casting options with the book of secrets. Plus he will take the lore of shadows and take the signature spell most times to reduce enemy unit initiative to (hopefully) let my trolls attack simultaneously.

Throgg will deploy in the big block of trolls in the center with a unit of trolls on each side. Not sure where to put the BSB. Possibly in throggs unit to make them a big hammer unit. Considering replacing the dispel scroll with the collar of khorne to give his unit some magic resistance and give him a 5+ ward save. But knowing the enemies I will be playing, they almost always take a lvl 4 wizard and usually a backup lvl 2. Or in the case of the goblins 3 wizards.

The dragon ogres will go war machine hunting on one flank while the dogs will try to control the enemy charges. The ogres will take the other flank from the drogres while the giant will face off against any high level spell casters and try to eat/squish/stuff them into his bag.

The hellcannon will do its usual thing. My enemies hate my crazy luck with the artillery dice. So the hellcannon will always be in my list. Plus the model I use (a lizardmen carnosaur) fits with the monstrous horde look of the army.

Anyway, any comments or changes would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
As he is, thee BSB is a bit pointless. Stealing spells is all well and good but to get past Lord level Casters he's going to be throwing lots of dice at spells to get them through and/or hoping for IF. Now, with the BoS, that means he wont be alive for long and then you've just killed your 200pt model. He's a good build (hell I use it myself) but he's a back up sorcerer able to one dice miasma and act as a Scroll caddy. He also gets no Look Out Sir! roll, as he's monstrous Cav and everything else is Monstrous Infantry, so one cannon ball to the face and he can say good bye. I'd probably ditch him for a Disc BSB or Level 2 Sorcerer with a 3+ Ward and the charmed shield.

The LVL2 Sorcerer can happily throw a few dice into a spell and not auto-implode and he'll offer you a bit more magical defence than the lvl 1 BSB. He can still sport the 3rd eye. On top of that he can be your army general allowing you two 'inspiring presence' for your army.

The Ogres are also a bit 'meh'. They're not as good as Trolls for the points but then I suppose you'd have trouble keeping everything in range of your General. Taking a Sorcerer as your General & Throgg would solve this problem though. If you want to keep them swap the Additional hand weapons for Great weapons. You're init2 so you're striking last anyway and 3 extra attacks isn't worth loosing +2str on all the others.

#3 ·
I've played the slaaneshy giant a lot when the book first game out. Its a gimmick that can work at times verse the right army. The problem I see here is that you have an army loaded up with mutant regen and then a 265 point model that has no save at all. Guess who gets killed first? For the exact same points you can get a naked shaggoth. Now I've been using this guy a lot recently and he's more consistent and the model is just beautiful. Or you can go all the way and pick up Kholek!

But I agreed, khorne and AHW costs 60 extra points and nets you 6 attacks. Problem is GWs on ogres would force you to lose 30 points elsewhere, but you do with 1 less dog unit. Now instead of 24 str4 attacks you have 21 str6 attacks. Fair enough trade I think.

#4 · (Edited)
thanks for the advice guys

I just figure that the re-roll on the stupidity tests would be pretty useful with the BSB nearby. As Throgg only gives re-rolls of break tests. One option I've considered is taking the disc BSB with minimal gear to keep his cost low, drop some ogres and the dogs and try and fit in a lvl 3 or 4 sorcerer (also with minimal gear). maybe I'll try a few games with both. Hell, Throgg, a BSB & a general should keep those stupid trolls in line.

Only reason I've taken the 6 ogres is because I have the models for it. Found a seller on ebay that has a whole bunch of the warhammer forge models for a decent price. Bought up big in the bile trolls, ogres and a few plague ogryns. Then mixed and mashed them together to get a good mix of poses, heads and weapons.

I was tossing up between the shaggoth or the giant. Only reason I went giant is because I havent actually used him yet.

Here's my amended list:

Sorcerer Lord 315
MoT
Infernal Puppet
Charmed Shield
Disc

Throgg 175

Exalted Hero - 244
BSB
MoT
Book of Secrets
Dispel Scroll
Third Eye
Disc
Extra Hand Weapon

8 Trolls - 360

6 Trolls 270

6 Trolls 270

3 Dragon Ogres 195

Hellcannon 205

3 Ogres - 200
MoK
Chaos Armor
Great Weapons
Standard

Giant - 265
MoS

Took out dogs, 3 ogres and some extra gear on the drogres and ogres to fit in the lvl 3 sorcerer. But now I do have my puppet. It has won me battles on the first turn vs VC. Was great watching the Vampire Lord cast with IF then seeing his face when I changed his miscast to a 2 and losing his general on a 4+.

#7 · (Edited)
The only remaining problem is the absence of a decent ward save on your two disc riders... I'd dump the ton of points that you spent making the BSB a craptastic caster, and give him and the sorc lord some wards! If you're short on points, the chaos armor on the ogres is a good place to cut... 5ppm for +1AS is a bit meh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.