<1000 List for Upcoming Doubles Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

List for Upcoming Doubles Tournament

Our local GW is holding a doubles fantasy tournament soon. All of the official scenarios will be available, with army compositions following the standard percentage limits, and a minimum of three deployable units. Each team will consist of two armies of 700 points, for a combined total of 1400 points. My partner will be playing Bretonnia, but our only penalty will be that our magic has to be split [1 die each for Winds of Magic]. Here are our lists:

General
    Exalted Hero
    MoT
    BoS/Dispel Scroll [Shadow]
    Shield
    175 points

Core
    39 Marauders
    MoK/Great Weapons
    Full Command
    245 points

40 Marauders
    MoK/Great Weapons
    Full Command
    250 points

Warhounds
    30 points

Total: 700

His List:

Heroes
    Damsel lvl. 1 [Life]
    Dispell Scroll

Paladin
    Enchanted Shield
    Mace

Core
    10 Knights Errant
    Musican/Standard
    Banner of the Eternal Flame

10 Knight Errant
    Musican/Standard
    Banner of Swftness

14 Men at Arms

Total: 699

The basic idea is that we will try to shut down the magic with our two dispell scrolls. Our own magic will be limited to our signature spells [unless he rolls Flesh to Stone]. His hero bunker will sit in a command position behind my two marauder blocks, while his knights and my hounds will be on the flanks. We will lose the initiative a bit, since he needs to pray but overall I think we are getting the benefits - I get a cheap BSB [no other penalties remember] and if in doubt I can always swap with one of his cheap characters if they run into challenge issues.

Any advice is welcome, but my ally is limited model-wise [no Field Trebuchet, or Peasant Bowmen for example] so it's better if I tailor my list more.

Last edited by Antithesis; March 24th, 2012 at 19:48.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd personally suggest swapping out that scroll for a spell familiar or third eye. The way I see it, either would generally be better. I personally rarely use or need a dispel scroll - if they really want to get a spell off, chances are it'll be IF so a scroll doesn't do that much.
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

Hmm, that's a good point about the dispell scroll. Thing is, since we only get 1 die each from Winds of Magic, I was thinking maybe we should just go all out combat characters instead - we would take a battering on the way, but at this level of points they won't have any Lord sorcerers, so it could work.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If so, I'd suggest that you take a combat character (Throgg would be my preference - he is freaking awesome) and your ally take a purely defensive Mage with the earthing rod or something, with heavens if possible (I dont know Bret lores) to keep you alive till you reach their lines. I'd also suggest they take as much light support cav as they can to outflank any really dangerous enemy units and break steadfast. Chaos trolls are also ridiculously good. By the time they take out 2 trolls, you'll probably get 3 EotG rolls. In the one game I've used them in they got +1s, +1ld and a 6+ armour save as well as terror before three went down (against empire)
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by MightisRight View Post
    If so, I'd suggest that you take a combat character (Throgg would be my preference - he is freaking awesome)

Throgg is a special Character, so he is not allowed.

and your ally take a purely defensive Mage with the earthing rod or something, with heavens if possible (I dont know Bret lores) to keep you alive till you reach their lines.

Brets can take Life or Beasts - Life signature spell is good on my Marauder Block.

I'd also suggest they take as much light support cav as they can to outflank any really dangerous enemy units and break steadfast. Chaos trolls are also ridiculously good. By the time they take out 2 trolls, you'll probably get 3 EotG rolls. In the one game I've used them in they got +1s, +1ld and a 6+ armour save as well as terror before three went down (against empire)

Trolls are risky with stupidity and only leadership 8 - I'd rather not take the chance without ld.9, also he has two awesome cavalry units one of which has M9!
    Taking your advice on the Combat character:

Exalted Hero
    MoT - Cheap ward save, good for casting
    Book of Secrets [Shadow] - the signature is just too good to look past, and I will always have a power die from magic.
    Dragonhelm - solid armor save, and good def against flaming,
    Biting Blade - it's cheap and I need something in case of etherals.
    Necrotic Phylectory - does so many useful things, but poison/death is the main reason.
    Shield - 2+ armor save is always good to have

Total 175 points.

My ally will have a dispell scroll in any case, so we won't be totally defenseless.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

Revised List

Having thought long and hard about my list, I've decided that having 2 main units is just too limiting and vulnerable to out-deployment, magic, and maneuvering. Also in a low-points game, I worry that hounds will be an easy 30 points for the enemy to pick up, and likely won't do enough to justify their expense [I doubt there will be many gunlines for example].

Since I will have anywhere between 1-6 dice per magic round, a caster is a must I think. Lore of Fire looks to be ideal since there won't be much, if any, T5 opposition in this point range.

So, without further ado, here is the revised list.

Heroes 110

Chaos Sorcerer [Lore of Fire]
    • Charmed shield
    • Scroll of Shielding
    • Biting Blade

In CC, he'll have to go into a challenge, but since he can't cast in CC I figure why not?
    Even if he manages to kill my General [who will be pretty fighty with frenzy] chances are the rest of the enemy unit will be obliterated.
    The Scroll of Shielding is in just in case of Metal, Heavens, or Death.

Core 589

16 Warriors [shields/halberds]
    • Musician/standard bearer
    • Banner of Rage

18 Marauders [flails]
    • MoK

18 Marauders [flails]
    • MoK

Total 699

With my Brit ally's BSB behind me, I'm not too worried about being frenzy baited.
    I now have three banners, which is a big deal for certain scenarios.
    Etheral units & War Hydra's look much less scary.
    I have an infantry unit that should be able to beat the crap out of anything [my ally will use Lore of Beasts, 'cause Wildform on warriors is incredible].

Well guys, what do you think?
    Last edited by Antithesis; March 28th, 2012 at 13:57.

+ Reply to Thread