<3000 Dark Northmen - 2500 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Dark Northmen - 2500 points

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share my latest list with you, since it's been a while since I posted anything in this section:

Dark Northmen - 2500 points

Core - 1215 points
    2 x 20 Chaos Marauders, Flails, Mark of Slaanesh, Musician, Standard-Bearer
    4 x 5 Chaos Warhounds
    20 Chaos Warriors, Halberds, Mark of Khorne, Musician, Shields, Standard-Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame
    20 Chaos Warriors, Halberds, Mark of Nurgle, Musician, Shields, Standard-Bearer, Banner of Rage

Special - 650 points
    2 x Chaos Chariot
    8 Chaos Knights, Blasted Standard, Musician, Standard-Bearer, Blasted Standard [BSB and Sorcerer Lord go here]

Heroes - 236 points
    Exalted Hero, Barded Chaos Steed, BSB, Book of Secrets, Dispel Scroll, Mark of Tzeentch, Shield, Soporific Musk [Lore of Shadows]

Lords - 399 points
    Sorcerer Lord, Barded Chaos Steed, Charmed Shield, Infernal Puppet, L4 Wizard, Stream of Corruption, Talisman of Preservation [Lore of Shadows]

Grand Total: 2500 points

So this list takes the MMU approach to things - lots of hard-hitting units (only the Dogs are incapable of pounding out a healthy helping of attacks at S5) that can combine to take tough targets down, oftentimes before they even get to swing. I do have a lot of points in the unit of Knights, but that unit is the one that is most capable of staying out of trouble, as well as surviving it (thanks to a 1+ armor save, and a 4+ Ward save against shooting). A couple of things I've been mulling over are whether I want to use Shadows or Tzeentch on my Sorcerer Lord (each has its virtues), and whether I need that many Marauders (they're mostly meant to be used as complementary units).

Anyway, all thoughts are welcome!

"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Hmm. Nothing wrong here except for the flailrauders. Give em GWs and drop the banners, and I like the list!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

That's a great list, the CC on this list will rip tish apart. Scary.
    I will drink your milk shake! I will drink it up!
    I just bought my wife a mini-van, the gods of Chaos have nothing on reality.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    Hmm. Nothing wrong here except for the flailrauders. Give em GWs and drop the banners, and I like the list!
    I don't think I have the bodies for GWs, to be honest with you. 20 guys is a spit in the ocean for Marauders, so I want them to do their damage before they get pounded. The idea behind them is to support the Warrior blocks by crashing a flank or murdering chaff - either way, they shouldn't ever be in combat long enough for the GW's advantage to truly matter.

@Blackheart : Thanks, man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rothgar,
    What's your philosophy or plan to use the chariots? Do you have specific idea for their deployment? Same question for your knights unit... Do you try to deploy on a flank or opposit a certain type of unit? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

The Chariots are there to do one of three things:

1. Threaten chaff. D6+1 S5 hits will do in most chaff units right away, and 4 WS5 S5 attacks and 2 WS3 S4 attacks will usually finish off whatever gets through that. As such, most chaff units won't get anywhere near a point where the Chariot can charge them (which is an average range of 15" or so).

2. Support combat units. These guys will add a good dose of positive CR to a unit of Chaos Warriors, so they will figure to stay near the Warriors to fulfill that function.

3. Draw artillery fire. These guys have "cannon magnet" written all over them, but in the context of a MMU Warriors army like this one, that's a good thing - I don't really have the ablative bodies to suffer that many casualties on my blocks.

The Knights are definitely a grind-it-out unit - I'm looking to send them straight at whatever unit I can spy that can't handle 1+ armor saves, and having them grind away. Even if they don't make their points back, they won't give them up either, which in the end is what I'm trying to achieve.

+ Reply to Thread