lost my army book... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lost my army book...

just decided to pull out the old chaos warriors and finish painting... but now i can't find the damn army book...

here's a look at my army list, tell me what you think/suggestions

(i don't have the book, so this is mainly from memory/looking at the miniatures)

20 chaos warriors w/ hand weapons and shields - full command (general accompanies unit)

20 chaos warriors w/ hand weapons and shields - full command

24 marauders - full command (knorne warrior champion leads the unit)

2 khorne chariots w/ sythed wheels - crew armed with halberds and shields.

i painted about half my warriors in brass armour and gave them halberds.... so i either use the warrios as is, or split them by colour and armament giving me a unit of CHOSEN Khorne Warriors with halberds....

i have a champion to ride in one of the chariots instead of crew... if needed

and after i finish painting the last couple of miniatures i'm gonna boost up the marauders to 40 men

and maybe i'll take a crack at converting some knights....

what would you do next to improve this army?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by chaos champ
    20 chaos warriors w/ hand weapons and shields - full command (general accompanies unit)
    20 chaos warriors w/ hand weapons and shields - full command
    24 marauders - full command (knorne warrior champion leads the unit)
    2 khorne chariots w/ sythed wheels - crew armed with halberds and shields.
    All this stuff looks fine, the unit equipment and sizes are good (just make sure the big marauder block has hand weapons, shields and light armour too).
    You need some more fast units and flankers, get yourself some Beast herds, Minotaurs, Furies and Marauder horsemen. Those units might not be the hardest one's around, but they are so useful to chaos armies that they're almost essential choices.
    i painted about half my warriors in brass armour and gave them halberds.... so i either use the warrios as is, or split them by colour and armament giving me a unit of CHOSEN Khorne Warriors with halberds....
    Halberds is a good choice for all chosen warriors, since they still have a good save (4+), lots of high strength attacks and they won't have to strike last (as they would if you gave them great weapons. Don't do that).
    and after i finish painting the last couple of miniatures i'm gonna boost up the marauders to 40 men
    40 is far too many for a marauder unit (only Gobbos and Skaven need those kind of numbers!), I use units of between 25 and 30. I find that this is a good size to use, mainly because it ensures they have enough numbers to keep full ranks and hopefully outnumbering after taking some casualties. However, just as importantly, it also means that if they break and get run down, I won't lose too many points worth of models in one go. Imagine if a unit of 40 took a few casualties, lost, ran off and got run down?! :hmm: Not good.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think large units of Chaos Warriors is a kind of suicide. 15 will do, 14 with a Character in them.
    With those spare points you could make a small unit Chosen with the Halberds, plant an Aspiring Champion with them, and an Exalted with another (this lessens the chance of playing an 'all eggs in one basket' army). Maybe an Exalted in one of those Chariots with Berserker Sword...
    "The streets a flame, the people in flame,
    The Apolapsy Four Ride out again.
    The flame of Hell are freezing over,
    And Heaven is falling out of the sky!
    Is it any wonder that the world is going to burn in a cleansing flame?
    Is it any wonder that the world is coming to a realigious end?"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thing is i don't like to buy metal miniatures personally... i make $300 a week at work and have plenty of things to spend that money on besides miniatures....

i was thinking about converting up some chaos knights with the 8 horses i have from a bretonian knights box and a box of chaos warrrios

unfortunately, until maruaders on horseback come out in plastic or i get my hands on some un-armoured horses and get conversiony with some plastic marauders, they won't be in my army...

i only bought the metal chariots cuz they're too cool to miss...

i might just get 2-3 more chariots and make that my fast attack force for the army...

i'm thinking about getting some of the plastic beastmen too....

i get paid tommorow here's my shopping list

1 - chaos army book - still can't find mine - $20

2 - red, black, bronze, chainmail, white paints - $???. I might just get a started paint set instead i think i threw out all my paint about a year ago... probably with the book now that i think about it...

3 - 1 box of plastic marauders - $35

4- 1 or 2 boxes of plastic beastmen (if the army book allows beastmen in a warrior army list)

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Darmort
    I think large units of Chaos Warriors is a kind of suicide. 15 will do, 14 with a Character in them.
    Don't think so mate, having fewer warriors in a unit would be suicide. :hmm: Warriors need rank bonuses just like anyone else, a small unit of 14-15 models would quickly start to lose it's rank bonuses as it takes casualties from shooting and combats. Even if you wouldn't want to invest in a unit of 20+, something like 17-18 would be better. That way, if you use a 4-wide rank, you get four and a half ranks, which helps keep your rank bonuses for a little longer (heck, you might even get outnumbering on some opponents!).

Btw Chaos Champ, while beastmen are great to have in a mortal army, if you get them you will need the Beasts of Chaos army book for the rules. Mortal (and Daemon) armies can take Beasts units as Special choices, in the same way that Mortals can take daemon units as Specials.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, but larger units of Chaos Warriors are also bigger targets, so they'll still be blasted to peices, and then you'll loose more points, so in the end smaller units are actually better if you loose them, Also, there's less chance of playing an all Eggs in One Basket Game, which I find a lot.
    I'd try for more Marauders than Chaos Warriors anyway, they at least win their points back. But that's just my opinion.
    "The streets a flame, the people in flame,
    The Apolapsy Four Ride out again.
    The flame of Hell are freezing over,
    And Heaven is falling out of the sky!
    Is it any wonder that the world is going to burn in a cleansing flame?
    Is it any wonder that the world is coming to a realigious end?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darmort
    Ah, but larger units of Chaos Warriors are also bigger targets, so they'll still be blasted to peices, and then you'll loose more points, so in the end smaller units are actually better if you loose them, Also, there's less chance of playing an all Eggs in One Basket Game, which I find a lot.
    I'd try for more Marauders than Chaos Warriors anyway, they at least win their points back. But that's just my opinion.
    but hopefully you have something in front of your warriors to get shot instead...

like chariots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

unfortunately, until maruaders on horseback come out in plastic or i get my hands on some un-armoured horses and get conversiony with some plastic marauders, they won't be in my army...
    I converted my own Marauder Horsemen. Through a bitz order I got pewter legs from the Kislev Horse Archers (poses #3 and #4 if I remember correctly) and the unarmored horses. To help the unit champions stand out better I put a couple of the champions on the old-style Bret horses with the cloth barding and bitz ordered a couple of the actual Marauder Horsemen's Champion horse head.

Once you've got the horses and Kislev legs its just a matter of using the standard Marauder pieces for the upper bodies and everything else. I made a total of 20 Marauder Horsemen. 10 are armed with Flails and the other 10 armed with Spears & Shields. For the spears I used Spear Arms from the High Elf and Dark Elf lines. Looking back I wish I had used the Spear Arms from the Beastmen Ungors box. (its not too late to re-convert them, but still...)

Is it cheaper than just buying the pewter horsemen? Not necessarily, but it was fun and most people like the job I did on my conversions.

Good luck,
    Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread