2.5k Tzeentch Demon Lists (Friendly) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5k Tzeentch Demon Lists (Friendly)

Though my main armies are Tomb Kings and Lizardmen, with a dabbling in Elves of all varieties, I recently developed the intense desire to paint a Lord of Change. As such, I've been working up a variety of hypothetical Tzeentch army lists to accomodate this big, winged beast and a few other Tzeentch models I've been itching to paint. Most of the rest of the list will probably be 'counts as', lego figures, counters etc. for friendly play, at least until I somehow find the time and money to buy and, more importantly, assemble and paint a full army. I decided to make my lists at 2.5k points, as otherwise I felt uncomfortable using such a points expensive model as the Lord of Change - too many eggs in one basket - and it matches up pretty well with the other collections around here, though some might have to toss in a few 'counts as' models/substitutes of their own (luckily I have a pretty big collection of toys, legos, and other odds & ends from my childhood that prove amazingly versatile for friendly games of Warhammer - I think I could make an Empire army of at least 3k points off army men, lego figures, and plastic catapults + cannons, and a whole horde of Beastmen of Orcs out of plastic dinosaurs :p)

The pretty much set things (the models I'm currently working on painting) are:

Lord of Change, General ... 665 points
    Aspiring Champion of Tzeentch w/ Familiar (Power Familiar?) ... 200 pts
    5 Screamers of Tzeentch ... 165 points
    4 Flamers of Tzeentch ... 100 points

I'll probably also paint at least one unit of Horrors and maybe a Spawn or Chariot or another larger model, but that's what I have at the moment, leaving me with 1,370 points to play around with and build the majority of my army with. I usually like to use more points on troops and fewer on characters in most of my armies, but eh, you gotta pay the price for the big, cool looking birdy I guess :p

A few possibilities that I've thought of (a bit biased towards 'fluffiness' as opposed to power gaming, I think):

Option 1 (Mortals as support):

I know a lot of people think Chaos Warriors are a little gimp since they're so easy to maneuver around or avoid combat with, but my hope would be that all my magic from the horrors + greater demon + Tzeentch-marked hero will force my enemy to come to me, while the screamers and demon himself could go deal with war machines. Plus, I just don't like Chaos Knights much, they're so...obvious.

12 Horrors ... 180 pts (2 flamers attached from pre-made for +50 pts)
    16 Horrors ... 240 pts
    Chaos Chariot w/ Mark of Tzeentch ... 140
    12 Chaos Warriors w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Halberd, Shields, Standard, Musician ... 242 pts
    12 Chaos Warriors w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Halberd, Shields, Standard, Musician ... 242 pts
    5 Marauder Horsemen w/ Musician ... 71 pts
    Firewyrm of Tzeentch ... 75 pts

Composition Report:
    Heroes: 3/4 Used, 34% of points
    Core: 4/3+ Used, 34% of points
    Special: 4/4 Used, 27% of points
    Rare: 2/2 Used, 3% of points
    Magic Items: 1 used, 2% of points
    Casting Pool: 12
    Dispel Pool: 6
    Models in Army: 82
    Total Points: 2500/2500

Option 2 (Beasts as support):

This list seems a bit fragile in close combat to me, but I like the fact that the cheap beasts let me build up to a healthy number of core troops and such despite the expensive characters. I'm just not sure I can deal with a real hard-hitting unit except by relying on magic, which is of course entirely unreliable.

16 Horrors ... 240 pts
    4 Minotaurs w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Extra Hand Weapons, and Standard ... 216 pts
    16 Beastigors w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Standard, and Musician ... 230 pts
    Beast Herd of 12 Ungors, 8 Gors w/ extra hand weapons, Foe Render ... 124 pts
    Beast Herd of 12 Ungors, 8 Gors w/ extra hand weapons, Foe Render ... 124 pts
    Firewyrm of Tzeentch ... 75 pts

Composition Report:
    Core: 4/3+ Used, 34% of points
    Special: 4/4 Used, 27% of points
    Rare: 2/2 Used, 3% of points
    Casting Pool: 11
    Models in Army: 112
    Total Points: 2499/2500

Option 3: Lots O' Demons

Because, eh, why not. The small units of knights are there pretty much as cheap providers of the Mark of Tzeentch power dice, while granting a quick flanking punch that might be sufficient to let me actually win a close combat with my Horrors. Maybe.

16 Horrors ... 240 pts (2 flamers attached from pre-made for +50 pts)
    16 Horrors ... 240 pts (2 flamers attached from pre-made for +50 pts)
    16 Horrors ... 240 pts
    16 Horrors ... 240 pts
    5 Chaos Knights w/ Standard Bearer + Mark of Tzeentch ... 205 pts
    5 Chaos Knights w/ Standard Bearer + Mark of Tzeentch ... 205 pts

Composition Report:
    Core: 5/3+ Used, 49% of points
    Special: 2/4 Used, 16% of points
    Rare: 1/2 Used, 0% of points
    Casting Pool: 11
    Models in Army: 85
    Total Points: 2500/2500

So...opinions? Tactics? Reflections on the Changer of Ways? Advice for pinning on that darned Lord of Change's wings? Thoughts on using Tzeentch magic effectively? All welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

In general, Daemon-based lists are better off as Daemonic Legions due to higher Leadership, true Ward saves and better access to Daemonic Gifts.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly a valid point, but fluff-wise I like the idea of a force based around Tzeentch as the unifying theme, as opposed to demons as the unifying theme. If I took a Daemonic Legions force I'd probably still end up going pure Tzeentch, which I worry would limit me quite a bit. Still, I gave it a whirl and here's a possibility:

Lord of Change ... 665 points
    Daemonic Herald w/ Mark of Tzeentch, Greater Icon of Chaos, Master of Sorcery, and Banner of Wrath ... 285 pts
    16 Horrors w/ Champion + Standard + Musician ... 310 pts
    16 Horrors w/ Champion + Standard + Musician ... 310 pts
    16 Horrors w/ Champion + Standard ... 303 pts
    5 Screamers ... 165 pts
    5 Flamers ... 125 pts
    5 Flamers ... 125 pts
    3 Changebringers ... 210 pts

Composition Report:
    Heroes: 3/4 Used, 38% of points
    Core: 6/3+ Used, 53% of points
    Special: 1/4 Used, 8% of points
    Rare: 0/2 Used, 0% of points