2000 pt - Undivided Mortals (beginner) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pt - Undivided Mortals (beginner)

Hi. I've just put together a 2000 point undivided army list and am just looking for opinions and advice, especially since I'm pretty much a beginner with chaos. I was trying to get a balanced army, but chaos units are just so expensive that I've gone heavily for close combat:

Lord of Chaos:
    -Shield
    -Armour of Damnation
    -Chaos Runesword
    -Barded chaos steed
    -MoU

337 points

Sorcerer of Chaos
    -Lvl 2

120 points

Sorcerer of Chaos
    -Lvl 2

120 points

20 Chaos warriors
    -Shields
    -Full command
    -MoU

330 points

25 Marauders
    -Shields
    -Light armour
    -Full command

200 points

25 Marauders
    -Shields
    -Light armour
    -Full command

200 points

5 Knights
    -MoU
    -Chosen
    -Full command

275 points

18 Chaos Warriors
    -Shields
    -Full command
    -Chosen
    -MoU

408 points

Army Total = 1990 points

That's it. Again I'm not entirely sure how good an army list this is and I'll appreciate any oppinions and advice (even if it's something silly like I've got the points value for something wrong!).
    My main concern is the single unit of cavalry - should I perhaps lose the sorcerers or a unit of Marauders to make way for another unit of knights, or possibly chaos chariots?

Much appreciated

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Use the Archaon's horde list from the storm Of chaos, you'll get free commands

some dispel scrolls would be welcomed for some magical protection.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice list - agree that with what you have got there you chould use the archaon's horde list for the free commands, but do you realise that you haven't taken a ward save for your lord? :cry: just waiting for that cannonball aren't you?

if you put the lord in the unit of chosen knights then you only have 5 ablative wounds before you have to allocate them to your lord. possibly drop a unit of marauders and take more knights or warriors (you get basically 2 warriors with shields for every knight), and as mentioned by wolf pack take some dispel scrolls and use the points saved by the free command rule for the horde to get more models on the field.

also take the chosen off the knights as they will instantly become fire magnets for ALL missile fire and even S2 blowpipe shots if there is enough of them (like 30 shots........ bloody skinks :realmad: )

for your lord: take the runesword and gaze of the gods with shield on steed OR gaze of gods, armour of damnation and shield on steed as it will give you a bit more survivability.

best combo is the first one - killed a treeman in one round of combat. alright! :tongue:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skinks have S3 :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Chaos Undecided
    nice list - agree that with what you have got there you chould use the archaon's horde list for the free commands, but do you realise that you haven't taken a ward save for your lord? :cry: just waiting for that cannonball aren't you?

if you put the lord in the unit of chosen knights then you only have 5 ablative wounds before you have to allocate them to your lord. possibly drop a unit of marauders and take more knights or warriors (you get basically 2 warriors with shields for every knight), and as mentioned by wolf pack take some dispel scrolls and use the points saved by the free command rule for the horde to get more models on the field.

also take the chosen off the knights as they will instantly become fire magnets for ALL missile fire and even S2 blowpipe shots if there is enough of them (like 30 shots........ bloody skinks :realmad: )

for your lord: take the runesword and gaze of the gods with shield on steed OR gaze of gods, armour of damnation and shield on steed as it will give you a bit more survivability.

best combo is the first one - killed a treeman in one round of combat. alright! :tongue:
    I see your point. Guess I never thought about those cannons, damn things! How about these for a lord combo - one goes for power, one makes him a bit of a tough nut:

Lord of chaos either:
    -Shield
    -Chaos Runesword
    -Gaze of the gods
    -Barded chaos steed
    -MoU

OR

-Gaze of the gods
    -armour of damnation
    -Sword of might
    -enchanted shield
    -Barded chaos steed
    -MoU

Either way he'll be pretty damn hard, and stand a chance against those war machines. As for the chosen on the knights - even if I take the chosen off of them, won't they still be a magnet for all shooty since my lord is a part of the unit? Besides, what good is a S3 blowpipe gonna do against units with a 1+ save?

As for using Archaeon's horde - I don't actually have the storm of chaos book yet, so can't really use it.
    Last edited by Jimmy_boy; March 15th, 2006 at 11:58.

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

You have selected a very good, solid army there jimmy_boy. But everyone seems to be trying to get you to worry too much about your Lord's safety. There's a very simple solution to keeping your lord safe and in the place where he'll do the most good. First, select a Lord that looks something like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_boy
    -Armour of Damnation
    -Sword of Might (or Great Fang or whatever is needed)
    -Enchanted Shield
    -MoU
    Now, don't bother giving him a steed, instead place him with the Warriors or Chosen Warriors. This has several effects, first it boosts the combat power of the unit he's with (obviously), second it means more units can benefit from his high leadership of 9 (any within 12" remember), and third it means the Lord has the best Ward save possible in the form of the 2+ to succeed "Look Out Sir!" roll. If he's with an infantry unit, that save isn't likely to run out anytime soon! And even if it does, there's probably going to be another infantry unit nearby that he can jump into.

Rather than trying to use your tiny unit of Lord & 5 knights as a linebreaker/shock unit, you should think of them as tough flankers. They should support your large infantry blocks by attacking enemies in the flanks (preferably ones that are already engaged to the front against your infantry), and also by assaulting the (normally) weaker flanks of the enemy line, forcing your opponent to either divert units to deal with them or have the flanks of his army crumble.

My point is, having your Lord charging off with a tiny bodyguard of knights, right into the teeth of the enemy army without any support, probably isn't the best idea. You can get much more out of him by placing him with the bulk of your force.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

That's a really good list you got there, but as Tzeentch Lord said do take him with a block of warriors, I'd highly recommend that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah I must say I like the idea of putting him in with a block of warriors. The only question is do I put him with the chosen or the normal ones? In any case, the points I free up from not using the chaos steed for him can be used for a dispel scroll for one of the sorcerers.
    So instead my lord will have:

-Armour of damnation
    -Sword of might
    -Enchanted shield
    -MoU

270 points

bringing the army point total down to 1923 if I've done my maths right. This means I can give one sorcerer 2 dispel scrolls and the other one, giving the army 3 dispel scrolls in total. I imagine that's more than enough.

So now the army's points value is:
    1998 points
    Last edited by Jimmy_boy; March 23rd, 2006 at 00:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure you want to take such large units of warriors? You have 20 normal and 18 chosen. Those extra bodies could greatly contribute to the army flexibility. Sure, It undoubtably excels at close combat with heavy ranked units, but what about enemy ranged attackers, artillery, cavalry, skirmishers, and combined charges from two enemy units? You have nothing much to deal with non-frontal assaults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khorne Lord
    Are you sure you want to take such large units of warriors? You have 20 normal and 18 chosen. Those extra bodies could greatly contribute to the army flexibility. Sure, It undoubtably excels at close combat with heavy ranked units, but what about enemy ranged attackers, artillery, cavalry, skirmishers, and combined charges from two enemy units? You have nothing much to deal with non-frontal assaults.
    That may be true, but no single 2000 point army, particularly with chaos who have very expensive units, can deal with EVERY different thing that various armies can throw at them. I would much rather have 2 large units of warriors with massive power in cc than several small units with weak rank bonuses who flee against a larger unit of what are effectively weaker models. I also think that my two sorcerers can provide some good support, and the large units of marauders are also there to take some of the strain. Also, this army can work in a number of ways by deploying the units differently depending upon who I am playing against.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast