2000 point Slaanesh Friendly Mounted - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

2000 point Slaanesh Friendly Mounted

Below is my Slaanesh army list. It is an all mounted army, which I know will have trouble against some enemies, but here goes.

Exalted Champion, Steed of Slaanesh, MoS, 50 points of magic to be decided, ideas?

Sorcerer of Chaos, Level 2, Barded Steed, MoS

Cavalry Unit 1 8 Chosen Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS
    Cavalry Unit 2, 5 Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS
    Cavalry Unit 3, 5 Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS
    Cavalry Unit 4, 5 Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS

Cavalry Unit 5, 10 Marauder Horsemen, Throwing Axes
    Cavalry Unit 6, 10 Marauder Horsemen, Throwing Axes

20 Warhounds of Chaos split into two 10 Hound units

The strategy is simple, Marauder Hosemen and Warhounds screen the flanks whilst the Knights slam into the middle, supported by the Champion.

Thanks for any and all advice and suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Split the warhounds into units of 5 rather than 10. They're pretty vulnerable at the best of times, so its best to have a large volume of small units instead of a small number of large units.

I think you might want to get another combat character. Having as many combat units as possible with an "edge" is what you need.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

Thanks for the Hound advice, I suppose that 4 units of 5 also allows them to be in twice as many places.

Should they cover the flanks or screen the Chaos Knights?

Regarding the extra combat character, am I assuming that you mean drop one of the sorcerers and replace with a mounted champion? I think I am right that for a 2000 point army I only get 3 heros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, actually you get 4 heroes. Under the new rules 8 chaos knights is fairly silly, I would get two units of 5 chosen. I would also split the hounds up, and split the marauder horsemen up. Those units of un-chosen chaos knights aren't gonna do an awful lot against ranked up infantry unless flanking. I would take a unit off and then get it so at least half are chosen. You use the chosen in the front and normal knights in the side/ against small units.

EDIT: oops, forgot u can only hav one unit of chosen. Hmmm, not sure what you could do then, go khorne?
    Last edited by cheese58; September 16th, 2006 at 12:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

Not entirely clued up on the new rules yet, so will have to look into why 8 knights is silly. Sorry if the points value is mis-leading, I was actually thinking of a 'less than 2000 point army' so 3 Heroes is the maximum.

My reason for Slaanesh is that as a painter I love Foregworlds Keeper of Secrets, and as I already have her (not painted yet) changing to Khorne is not an option.

So what about dropping one of the Sorcerers and going with the following.

Exalted Champion, Steed of Slaanesh, MoS, 19 points of magic to be decided, ideas?

Cavalry Unit 1, 10 Chosen Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS
    Cavalry Unit 2, 6 Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS
    Cavalry Unit 3, 6 Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS
    Cavalry Unit 4, 6 Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS

Cavalry Unit 5, 5 Marauder Horsemen, Throwing Axes
    Cavalry Unit 6, 5 Marauder Horsemen, Throwing Axes
    Cavalry Unit 7, 5 Marauder Horsemen, Throwing Spears
    Cavalry Unit 8, 5 Marauder Horsemen, Throwing Spears

20 Warhounds of Chaos split into four 5 Hound units

Then, as you say, the Chosen Knights in the front flanked by the Chaos Knights, each unit screened by a unit of Warhounds with the Marauder Horsemen screening the flanks.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better. 8 Knights is silly because 5 in a rank now. Unless u were gonna hav em in a line...
    1 Sorcerer at Lvl 2 isn't really gonna do much in 1000-2000pts. Drop im, make im a scroll caddy, or find a way to bring back his mate. Although Lore of Slaanesh is cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea i would agree with cheese.... 1 level 2 is useless, for magic you either go all out or a scroll caddy... to be honest i think you should probably go for 4 characters if you want it for 2000 points, if below 2000 make it a scroll caddy and have 2 fighting characters (althought you miss out on the lore of slanesh which is IMO, one of the best in the game). i think you need a second big unit of knights as you will be lacking in big units and if you struggle to get flank charges you will not take down full ranked units. i dont think you should go for thrwoing spears, either throwing axes or flails. always get musicians for fast calvalry as you will be doing baiting.
    hope it helps
    "The Emperor our light and Faith our shield"
    FEAR THE WRATH OF THE ANZAC CLAN

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

I agree with turner that you should have musicians, and some of your horsemen should be geared with flails, or spears and shields, for CC flanking. Watch out, your units of 5 hounds will have some difficulty fully screening 6-wide units of knights.

I think you should diversify a little. If you want a cheaper ranked unit, you could add some Centigors from the BoC book. You could also add Mounted Daemonettes of Slaanesh, from the SoC or the Chronicles 2004. Furies would be good for hitting war machines. And you could add some monstrous critters, ogres or minotaurs or dragon ogres, for some harder hitting.

If you want to keep strictly to the HoC book, a pair of chariots and some furies might help a lot, although they are not knights.

Finally, you probably aren't doing yourself a favor by marking every unit. If you are willing to sacrifice theme a bit, you could keep marks on the units which are going to be attacking the fear-causers, etc., and just stick with undivided for the others. It'd save you a few points, and maybe help you squeak a 2nd mage back into the army. If you designate some knights as flankers, you can lose the standards from them.

Confusion: you are sticking to Slaanesh because you love the Keeper of Secrets which you aren't including in the army? Will the Daemon be included at some point? It seems wierd to me to have a non-fighting model dictate the makeup of a table-top force, you might end up frustrated with the army that you've spent time and money on.
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

Thanks for all the sound advice, I now think I have a good list all be it deversified from the all mounted theme, but painting all those horses could have got quite boring.

Exalted Champion, MoS, magic to be decided
    (could I mount him in a chariot pulled by two grusome beasts?)

(by the way, what do you guys mean by a scroll caddy)

Cavalry Unit 1, 10 Chosen Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS (2 ranks of 5)
    Cavalry Unit 2, 5 Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS (1 rank of 5)
    Cavalry Unit 3, 5 Knights of Chaos, Standard Bearer, MoS (1 rank of 5)

15 Warhounds of Chaos split into three 5 Hound units to screen Knights

Flanks, Centigors from BoC

Minotaurs from BoC added as well to give extra hard hitting punch.

To answer Kooshlord, yes the Keeper of Secrets will be used, there's no doubt about that.

Comments as always appreciated, they have been a great help so far.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

If you know who you are fighting you could put the character in a chariot. Specifically, if they aren't dwarves, empire, or prone to using S7+ war machines. However, against an unknown foe, I'd avoid the chariot, lest your general get stranded or destroyed on turn 1.

Scroll caddies are lvl 1 mages whose purpose is to provide dispel dice and dispel scrolls. Usually fielded with 2 dispel scrolls and no other equipment.

I think the rest of the list is pretty good. I'd still add 5-6 furies, as they are invaluable in quickly eliminating troublesome war machines, which could still spell big trouble for your army. Not buying a chariot would pay for the furies.
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast