2500 pt Tzeentch Mortal Tourney Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500 pt Tzeentch Mortal Tourney Army

Howdy,

The gaming shop me and a friend frequent is having a 2500 tourney, and I'm trying to get prepared for it. I would like suggestions if possible, I'm not sure what armies everyone is going to be playing except for my friend that plays Dwarves exclusively. I'm doing this from memory so the point value for each will not be there, but you vets should be able to keep up pretty well.

Here we go:

Heroes

(I chose Heroes to lead due to the expensive points of a chaos lord)
    Exalted Champion of Tzeentch
    (mounted or not?)
    Shield + Sword of Might
    Golden eye of Tzeentch

Sorcerer of Tzeentch
    Power Familiar

Core

25xWarriors of Tzeentch
    Full Command
    Hand weapon + Shield
    War Banner

5 Chosen Knight of Tzeentch
    Full Command
    Tzeentch Banner (Yellow Fire of Transmutation)

5 Horsemen
    Full Command
    Throwing Axes + Flails

5 Horsemen
    Full Command
    Throwing Axes + Flails

25xMarauders
    Full Command
    Flails

Special

3 Minotaurs of Tzeentch
    Full Command
    Great Weapons

20 Beast Herd (as is for screening only)

Rare

Spawn of Tzeentch

This comes out at around 2500

My purpose with this army is distract, flank, and pound into the ground.

The Beast Herd runs and catches bullets/spells for the marauders and warriors who will hold the infantry up long enough to get a good flank with my knights and 1 unit of Horsemen. The other unit of Horsemen will run around tossing axes and hopefully picking up some crossfire as well as lending the helping hand of an extra flank if needed. The Minotaurs are there to scare the bejesus out of anything willing to stand up to a S6 10 attack unit. My Exalted Champ will be on foot as General adding his Ld for the Marauders.

Any suggestions will be appreciated... like I said I was wanting this to be an all around army build but also not stray from the Chaos theme in general.

Thanks
    -Injun

Last edited by Injun; November 15th, 2006 at 19:17. Reason: Forgot magic banners

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

As you might guess from my username, I am a veteran Tzeentch player. I therefore impart some of my wisdom and battlefield experience to you

Quote Originally Posted by Injun
    Exalted Champion of Tzeentch
    (mounted or not?)
    Shield + Sword of Might
    Golden eye of Tzeentch

Sorcerer of Tzeentch
    Power Familiar
    Okay, the champion is fine, I like the fact that you haven't blown stupid amounts of points on overpriced magic weapons. However, if he's to have a magic sword I would recommend giving him the Enchanted shield for that extra bit of protection. Also, if he's going to join the Marauder unit, the Golden Eye is useless as it only gives it's Ward save against shooting and magic missiles. Both of which he'd be immune to anyway while in a unit of troops.

The Sorcerer is okay, but I don't think you need the Power Familiar, it's expensive and with the 3 marks on your units, you've already got 7 power dice for 4 spells. Since you won't always be able to cast all 4 spells, 7 dice should be plenty. Perhaps buy him a dispel scroll instead.
    25xWarriors of Tzeentch
    Full Command
    Hand weapon + Shield
    War Banner
    Nice big unit of heavily armoured warriors with the War banner, excellent choice! I like this unit, well done.
    5 Chosen Knight of Tzeentch
    Full Command
    Tzeentch Banner (Yellow Fire of Transmutation)
    Hmm, these are not so good. Making 5 knights chosen is not always such a great idea, mainly because even though they're dead hard, they're still only 1 wound models. Plus, the enemy will try and taken them out as soon as possible if he knows they're chosen (worth lots of victory points). Also, the Tzeentch banner is overpriced for what it does, I've used it myself and it never really worked or made much of a difference to anything.
    5 Horsemen
    Full Command
    Throwing Axes + Flails

5 Horsemen
    Full Command
    Throwing Axes + Flails
    These guys are good, but they only really need the musician. Banners are a bit of a waste of time here since they shouldn't be engaging enemy units in combat on their own anyway.
    25xMarauders
    Full Command
    Flails
    Big units of Marauders are always good, but you've made one massive error. Flails. Never, ever give such a huge unit of squidgy troops two handed weapons! Without the 4+ save that light armour, shields and hand weapons provides, they'll drop like flies! These guys absolutely must have light armour, shields and hand weapons, with that gear they are actually quite resilient, and if they have a hero to lead them (and deal the damage), they actually become much more dangerous than they look. This leads opponents to underestimate them, giving you the advantage.

Once, I had my unit of 24 marauders led by an Aspiring champion in a game against a beast army. My opponent charged them head on with 3 Dragon Ogres, his dice rolls were pretty average but I only took one or two casualties. Then, with all my rank bonuses, outnumbering, standard and a wound (I think), I beat the Dragon Ogres and caused them to flee! I didn't catch them though, but it just proves how tough marauders can be and how overconfident they can make your opponents.
    3 Minotaurs of Tzeentch
    Full Command
    Great Weapons
    Good unit, although make sure you really need great weapons before automatically buying them. Against Dwarfs great weapons are worthwhile, but if you're fighting Skaven, Empire or Elves for example, extra attacks from additional hand weapons would probably be better.
    WHAT?! 40 beastmen just for screening?! Are you nuts?!!!

Ahem. What I mean to say, is that big herds of beastmen are definately NOT screens! If you want screens, use the dirt cheap Warhounds, beastmen are much more than that. You won't find better flanking units than beastmen. They get ranks, they still get the +1/+2 bonus for attacking the flank/rear of enemy units, and best of all, they have a 360 arc of sight, so they can charge in any direction. So work them round the flanks and between enemy units ready to attack unit flanks. Also, they are superior to almost any other skirmish unit,so use them to wipe out any enemy skirmishers and fast cavalry who are foolish enough to challenge them (watch out for Skinks though, they can be a bit tricksy...)
    Spawn of Tzeentch
    Spawn are great, but the Tzeentch flame breath upgrade is rubbish. It doesn't work, trust me, I've tried it on lots of opponents. It's useless, ditch it.

Otherwise, not a bad army, a few tweaks and it'll be quite good. If you're not going to have a lord, you might consider taking another combat hero, or you might struggle to hold off more powerful characters and units.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

Not a bad army list as Tzeench Lord said and much of what he said I agree with, just a couple of points I would mention.

-The characters are not too bad, however at 2500pts you really should take a chaos lord as his Ld9 will prove more usefull. Not only that a level 4 sorcerer will allow you more options than a level 2, but overall it is that is a matter of preference. I would put him on foot in the marauder unit where his increased leadership will prevent them from running away as well as giving them a significant boost in the combat phase.

-The 25 warriors seems a little too big for my liking but considering they are going to recieve a lot of attention it is justified. The marauders are fine but Tzeench Lord is right give them handweapons and shields.

-I would drop the chosen chaos knights and replace them with two chaos chariots with the Mark of Tzeench. These guys hit just as hard as chaos knights especially if you charge them at the same unit and you pay less points for them as well.

- Include some chaos hounds. These are absolutely essential when it comes to shielding the rest of your army from enemy firepower. You want at least 2 or 3 units of about 6 hounds.

Hope this helps. JvK
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

+ Reply to Thread