Viking Onslaught - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viking Onslaught

Hello. I just saw a 1000 point game played and they were going to play 1500. Everyone seems to have dumped the 400-500 point games around here fast! Another player who I thought had as few minis as I have claims to have 3000 points of elves, just not painted. So Im now designing a 1500 point army.

Might I add some odd campaign is starting. One game is 500 points and you must have a lord in it. How can I make a good lord of 500 points? My the sounds of it there is no proxying. Luckily I can legally use my Champion of Tzeentch as a Lord.

Ok heres my list.

17 Elite Huskarl Guard (Warriors of Chaos) 474
    -Chosen
    -Great Weapons (Big Danish Axes.)
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Full Command
    -Banner of Yellow Fire.

24 Viking Warriors of Odin (Marauders) 213
    -Light Armor
    -Shields
    -Full Command
    -Mark of Tzeentch

24 Viking Warriors of Odin (Marauders) 213
    -Full Command
    -Light Armor
    -Shields
    -Mark of Tzeentch

1 Chariot of Odin (Chariot of Tzeentch) 140
    -Mark of Tzeentch

Now Ive left points for me to dump on heros since Im not sure what kind of heros I want. I forgot to plan them out as I wanted to also. It depends on my opponent. If vs a High Elf player, then I want 2 dispel scrolls on one. If vs Dwarfs, Bretonnians, Skavan, Empire, 1 to no dispel scrolls. Ive left 225 for each hero.

Hero 1 Aspiring Champion of Tzeentch
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Chalice of Chaos
    -Talismen of Protection
    -Battle Standard

Hero 2 Exalted Champion of Tzeentch
    -Mark of Tzeentch

Now I have full 50 points to spend on that hero with left overs. The Exalted one I wanted to make either handle magic like the scrolls and a power stone or handle combat, like some nice swords or armor.

Yet Hero one joins a Marauder unit, the fear and his 4+ ward save is nice so he can survive. The Battle Standard will hopfully defeat the enemy in combat and make them run from his fear. The middle unit, the Huskarls with the Exalted unit is just supposed to mow down anything in front of them. While the other Marauder holds its own until the other forces come. The Chariot hangs in the back but will charge into flank of a unit as the combat begins. Ive already got my men Tzeentch painted so I want to leave them as that.

Yet Vikings and Barbarians were scary, so Nurgle could be nice with more fear. Also they were a bit berserk, Khorne could be nice. Yet they were a little crazy with Pagen gods, so I can see Tzeentch and the magic aspect in my army too. +The blue tatoos I gave them are like Celtic woad. The Chariot is quite celtic also. So what can I do to improve it? How should I arm the champ vs High Elves, Dwarfs, Skaven, Bretonnians and the Empire? The only armies I will face.

Also what do you think of my theme?

75 Models
    10 Power Dice
    6 Dispel Dice

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Love the theme, also like the list!

I'm not a great chaos player (used a friend's list once - got annihilated) but I think you have a nice balance. I'm a fan of warhounds so I'd always look to take some of those, but not sure what you could change really.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, first off it's a nice army list insofar as numbers and unit selections go. The most glaring mistake I see, however, is the Mark of Tzeentch on the Marauders. Marauders are not allowed to have a Mark, which also means you need to drop two Casting Dice from your total.

17 Tzeentch Chosen Warriors, 2 units of 24 Marauders, & 1 Tzeentch Chariot comes out to be 1000pts dead even, which gives you 500 left.

I'm personally against making a unit Chosen in less then 2000pt games as that's a heavy point sink and you're basically putting all your hopes into that one unit winning the game for you, but if anything goes wrong with them then you are in trouble (remember, Tzeentch is the only Chaos army that really suffers from Psychology compared to the rest so there is greater chance of them panicing/fearing if something panics them or else they fight fear causers).

As for other things to invest in your army, I'd look into: Spawns, Knights, another Chariot, Screamers, and Chaos Hounds for the army as all are useful, or have been to me anyway.

Good luck to you.
    I enjoy both cheese and wine, but not while playing games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont want to add any deamons, it takes away from the theme and I myself dont like them much. I still want to see what it looks like just incase my army doenst win.

Now Im thinking maybe all do Chaos undivided. Yet most will lean towards Tzeentch.

I wanted the warriors chosen to bring out the more beastily combat style of vikings. I dont think marauders show it too well. The Chariot and not knights because most Viking or Barbarian armies had little to no cavalry. Yet Celts did have chariots and celts painted themselves blue with woad as my warriors have done. So it mataches.

As undivided I will make the Chosen guys a Regiment of Khorne (Loki, or Thor) This will force my army to play more Viking.

I do know that Saxons did use shield walls and did at Hastings but still, the average Barbarian/Viking army was aggressive, this keeps my army like that. Then my General will be an undivided Exalted Champion. I will give him the anti magic stuff or more brutal close combat items and he joins the chosen guys.

The Standard man will still be of Tzeentch and will try to weaken the enemy with spells as I attack.

I think it will work. Then I can bring out the Viking diversity I wanted. ONe Marauder unit has fear from the Chalice. One is mad and kickass like Berzerkers/Huskarls, while one is just a standard tough warrior.

Thats just the thinking behind everything.

Heres my new Exalted dude.

Exalted Champion of the Northern Gods
    -Additional Hand Weapon
    -Berzerker Sword as one of the hand weapons
    -Biting Blade as the other hand weapon

So seeing he will usally be in a group with 3 targets. 2 extra dice +1 for the other hand weapon making 7 dice! -1 on armor is nice too. That Frenzied units front line of 5 wide + the champion pumps out 23 dice! Already being nice warriors they can bound down anyone. 4+ armor save should be able to shrug off some damage. 120 points left. I can drop a chosen warrior and take a Chariot of Tzeentch Or I can just lay down 5 more chosen warriors + another marauder for the unit. Or if I dont give the chosen khorne guys the magic missle banner I can add in more numbers.

I think all add the warriors and not the chariot This army goes will with my budget and has units I like. I have a box of marauders, warriors, 2 champions (1 in the mail) and a chariot. Now all I need is another warrior box and 2 marauder boxes and Im set!

Sorry how long this post is. I just basically explained my thinking behind everything I did and my new plans!

EDIT: I noticed problems. I cant have the yellow fire banner with Khorne marking, so they can get the magic missle banner. Also Khorne mark is 45 points. Yet now I have options.

I make the army pure Tzeentch and the chosens are a little more defensive with the ward and the exalted champ is a sorceror. Or the Khorne way with a kickass chosen unit and still options to add things in All have about 130 free points to spend on a banner and more units. so much freedom Yet how is the core of my army? The core the Khorne (just mark and hero changes) and the Tzeentch base? (the original list)
    Last edited by Jacaran; January 23rd, 2007 at 23:07.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

to stay on theme you could add either marauder horsemen (vikings didnt have heavy cavalry but did use horses on raids, although Norman knights are getting more heavy and Normans were viking descendants) or hounds, hounds are always good in a choas army and dark age armies often went to war with big slathering dogs to disrupt the enemy shieldwall.

good luck in the campaign!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaran View Post
    Exalted Champion of the Northern Gods
    -Additional Hand Weapon
    -Berzerker Sword as one of the hand weapons
    -Biting Blade as the other hand weapon
    i may be wrong, but im pretty sure that you cant take two magic weapons and use them both at once, but you could use one and the additional hand weapon to get that extra attack. you may have ment to do this the whole time, but i just wasnt sure.

hope it helps

-rose

p.s. i was also planning to do a viking themed chaos army. rock on brother!
    Last edited by RedRose; January 23rd, 2007 at 23:08. Reason: forgot about the ps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Sir. I know what your thinking. I want Knights in my army but then all lose the Viking theme. Normans vs the Saxons at Hastings has said to be a battle of old Norse Style warfare vs new European warfare. Its just a little to different to be the Viking/Barbarian army I want.

To red. I thought you could only take 1 item from each item sectin per game. Except in common magic items. Theres more? Im always learning stuff that I didnt read or forgot.

With those extra points I would want to take Marauder Cavalrymen with flails + throwing axes. I will go up aganist High Elves a lot. 3/7ths of us are high elf players and they are most active. (it was 4, but someone quit for the sake of diversity)

So Im thinking my Marauder Horseys + Chariot can run behind enemy lines and try and run over archers in CC. If they try to react, its gonna be with their own Chariot or Knights, or both. In that case all try and only harras the knights with my marauders and keep the chariot away from danger. Then when the time looks right all charge them with both and go out taking as many as I can. It does seem like wasteing 240 points except I think I could kill some through harrasment and combat.

Also it will keep his knights from assisting in that Close Combat. Once Im in closecombat there is not much to stop me. Massed heros and cav pushing on the flank can, yet the cav will be off protecting archers and warmachines from getting slaughtered.

Does it sound like a good plan and why to spend my remaining points?
    5 Marauder Horsemen
    -Throwing Axes
    -Flails (For the charge on archers, warmachines, knights)
    -Musician
    -Standard Bearer
    -Chieften

Once again, a unit light on the wallet. I can do it by hacking out the sword of might or whatever it was I gave the champion that I cant have.

Yet I still might need warhounds vs all the range of dwarfs, empire, and high elves. So I could make it
    5 Marauder Horsemen
    -Throwing Axes
    -Flails
    -Musician Warhounds

and 5 warhounds to shield the chosen.

I re-read the magic items list and noticed things wrong. The lord I posted was done wrong. So for the 500 pt game with a lord Im taking 16 Marauders and all take. A lord of Khorne with the Crown of Everlasting Conquest, the Chalice of Chaos and either A. another hand weapon or B. A enchanted shield. Just depends if Im feeling offensive or defensive. I think the Shield would be a better choice. 1+ armor save in CC, 5+ ward and 4+ regeneration. Yet an extra handweapon is so cool!
    Last edited by Jacaran; January 24th, 2007 at 22:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any other opinions? It looks fine to you all? I cant possibly see that with a list that I made with a theme and tried to make competetive. That just never seems to work for me in the past.

Unless Chaos is the holy grail of armies Ive been searching for. The one where the stuff I want go go well together.

+ Reply to Thread