Advice Please. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice Please, 1000pt army

Hi guys, this is my first post and also the first day I looked at this forum hehe. I am a relatively new player and I was wondering if anyone had some pointers to help me with my current list. It usually works ok, but I am sure that it could be better. It's only 1000 points because I don't have a lot of models atm. Although I prefer 1000 points cause especially with the relatively high cost of Chaos models you have to finess your list into an efficient army... ok well that and I am poor atm so I can't buy enough models for a 2000 point army haha. Anyways here is the list, and I would greatly appreciate any and all advice you guys have to offer, to streamline my list and make it a meaner and more efficicent list. Thanks in advance lol.

Mortal Chaos Undivided list

1 Exalted Champion 270p
    -Berseker Sword
    -Enchanted Shield
    -Chaos Chariot

1 lvl 2 Chaos Sorcerer 130p
    -Chaos Steed

13 Chosen Chaos warriors 303p
    -Champion
    -Standard
    -Musician
    -Handweapon/Shield

3 Chaos Ogres 123p
    -Heavy Armour
    -Shield

3 Chaos Trolls 165p

Total 997p

I also have 15 more warriors and 10 marauders, but I am willing to buy a couple more models if the need should arrise.

Last edited by Rork; February 12th, 2007 at 18:26. Reason: Points value specified in thread title after move.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, welcome to Librarium Online :-). Right, first of all in a 1000 point game you really lack numbers. For example, in an orc army for 1000 points there would be arounf 60 to 70 models there? You have around 20 and therefore are very outnumbered. Also, paying 303 points for 13 guys which can be swept away by a well placed cannon shot or charged by a few units is kinda unreliable. Take away chosen (trust me on this) and make that unit a bit bigger by making it 24 warriors strong. Keep the shields and full command. Second off, im not sure how good chaos ogres and trolls are, but try and keep them down a few points so you can get 10 marauders in for your sorceror to join, Oh, and mentioning your sorceror, take him off the steed because it is to be honest wasted points. He can be targeted easily, may not join units and the steed should spare some points to give your maruader unit a champion and whatever you like. Whilst playing, put your Champion in the unit on warriors and sorceror in the marauders. Dont forget to outflank your opponents, and good luck!

:-)
    "The anatomy of your brain is more than your mind can handle. What?"

Current Armies

Vampire Counts - 3500 Points

Orcs And Goblins - 2000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the welcome. Numbers are a big issue when playing Chaos but that's the price you pay for the Brutal Fighting Force you get. I don't mind being outnumbered too much as long as the models that outnumber me sucks by comparison haha. I found the Chosen Warriors to be a staple in my army, Granted they are only a block of 15 (13 warriors + Sorcerer on mount) Granted 303 points in 1000 is rough, I used to run a regular block of warriors, but the 1 attack just didn't pack enough umph to conteract the numbers. I have the Chosen charged on the Front and Flank by skeletons and the rear by ghouls and simulatenously break all 3 lol but that's more luck than anything else. The chosen only cost 80p more so I might be able to get a 18 man unit of regular warriors instead, but that still buts me at a disadvantage when it comes to combat res, so usually I sacrafise the extra warriors to make the rest chose and get the extra attacks and 2+ armour save.

Well in the new rules a mounted character can join a melee unit and he can't be picked out by shooting ( I think lol) He's basically on there for the free armour saves lol and if need be he can run like a little girl. errr I mean Tactailly relocate as a single model.

Although I have been trying to find a way to sneak marauders in, I could probably drop a 20 man unit in instead of the Ogres, I just use them because I have the models.

Also the Trolls earn their weight in gold in almost every game I played with them haha, that Regen save is just great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you might think that Chosen Chaos are good and I dont think anyone would disagree with you there, however if i were you I drop the Chosen and take more, in 1000pts all it takes is a bad roll and your chosen unit will die to slave rats.

If you take more troops then you have more combat res, as apposed to relying on luck and good dice rolling to win you the combat. Only in 2000+ do I take my chosen unit, if you have a unit of Warriors 5 wide, 3 deep full command, at T4 with a 3+ save you shouldnt be losing too many combats.

Marauders are good annoying units, its like chess with using them, position your marauders ahead so they can charge or be charged, if they hold, great, then counter charge with Warriors, if not your opponent will overun and you might either charge them with your marauders or a back up unit.

Thats how I use my marauders anyway.

You should think about giving units marks too, Mark of Khorne is awesome. 1 dispell and Frenzy, just keep your frenzy under your control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the list though I agree that chosen is too much in 1000 pts. I'd drop it and put in that 10 man unit of marauders, or purchase some chaos furies. Never purchase a champion for warriors or knights. They are way too expensive for just one extra attack. Use the points to buy a descent magic item or a unit of warhounds.

Let me know if you got anymore questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkobra7221 View Post
    I like the list though I agree that chosen is too much in 1000 pts. I'd drop it and put in that 10 man unit of marauders, or purchase some chaos furies. Never purchase a champion for warriors or knights. They are way too expensive for just one extra attack. Use the points to buy a descent magic item or a unit of warhounds.

Let me know if you got anymore questions.
    I don't think chosen are a waste at all. They can take more hits than normal warriors, so if you are running at an enemy, which you will likely find yourself doing in low point battles, and they keep shooting at you, you will lose less thanks to the armor save. When you reach them, your additional attack cuts right through them (I once knocked out 9 models in a 16 model regiment of high elves on the charge, and they tried to flee, which I then pursued and cut them all down .)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats partially true, however you have a character joined with the chaos warriors correct?Why else would a sorcerer be mounted and you have a unit of 13 warriors? All the shooting that the opponent has is going to the warriors for three reasons. 1 because warriors are great in combat if at full strength. Weakening them so the outnumber with an extra 2 ranks(assuming one dies before combat from the shooting and your opponent has 3 ranks) your opponent will be beating you by three when they do get into combat. 2 becuase they are chosen. Most players know if chaos are chosen even if you dont tell them becuase they know you could have more troops out on the field. This just makes them more the deadlier and worth more for killing. 3 because there's a character in the unit. When people see this, warriors and a character are probably the majority of one's chaos army. By directing all their shooting at this unit, your opponent has enabled themselves to a great chance at beating your warriors in combat by factors that don't include the number of wounds.

In 1k, there's bound to be at least one warmachine. Your opponent will sit back and take care of those warriors. That single warmachine should have at least three shots at your warriors before they reach combat, considering your opponent is a descent player. Plus they will probably have a nice unit of solid shooters as well. By either dropping chosen, or having your character leave the unit, or both, your opponent will do either 1 of 2 things. 1 He will continue to shoot at the warriors, and you will not lose as many points as you could. 2 he will decide not to shoot the warriors but yeat shoot the ogres 1 turn, then the trolls the nest trun and your warriors will be safe from the shooting. This is assuming that player has a warmachine. If your facing an army that doesn't have one, go ahead and use chosen depending on the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not neccessarily. It really depends on what army you are facing, if you could tell us, it would help a ton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the bottom of the second paragraph on my last post Kage lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkobra7221 View Post
    Read the bottom of the second paragraph on my last post Kage lol

My bad, rofl. I didn't read the last sentence :tongue: .

Anyways, like King Kobra pointed out (and I needlessly repeated a second time ) that warmachines will devastate your list. If there is only like one small warmachine however, I would still keep a unit of chosen sitting around, I mean, you already spent 14 points per model with extra stuff, if another 6 points insures some of their safety, I would take it :yes: .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast