2000 point Undivided Chaos Army (Friendly) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 point Undivided Chaos Army (Friendly)

Daemon Prince (General) Chaos Undivided
    Daemonic Gifts: Master of Mortals, Blade of Ether

Exhalted Daemon
    Daemonic Gifts: Spell Breaker, Soul Hunger

Chaos Warrior Regiment (15)
    Nurgle, Standard Bearer, Musician

Chaos Warrior Regiment (15)
    Khorne, Stanard Bearer, Musician

Beast Herd (12 gors, 7 Ungors)

Knights of Chaos (5)
    Chosen, Nurgle, Standard Bearer, Musician

Spawn of Chaos

Chariot of Khorne

Chaos Marauders (15)
    Standard Bearer, Musician

Chaos Marauders (15)
    Standard Beaer, Musican

Total Points: 1998

This is a rough list of my army, which I have not bought yet so I can easily make changes and not be limited due to budget. Any comments are greatly appreciated and I would like tips and ideas of things to change/get.

Is the glass half empty of half full? Easy, if it was filled halfway up, its half full, if it was full and half is gone, the glass is half empty. Sometimes questions to life are easier than they seem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

OK, I love the color coding. excellent work there. I think there are problems with the actual army though.

First, your giant expensive daemons only have daemonic ward saves, not real ones. So they don't get a save against magic, including magic weapons and magic BOWS!, dwarf war machines with runes, skaven warpstone weapons, screaming skull catapults(?), chaos hellcannons, normal spells. So your daemons will be very vulnerable to ranged and CC destruction. If you can keep them away from those threats reliably then you're good. I'd drop at least 1 daemon for some normal characters, especially mages. With only 1 spell-breaker in the army, and 4 dispel dice, your anti-magic is slightly weak, which could easily spell your downfall.

2nd, as far as I can tell, none of your infantry units have equipment. Your marauders are probably best off with light armor, hand weapons and shields, for relatively cheap static combat resolution (3 ranks, outnumber, banner). To maximize this, you should field them in groups of 20+ for 3 ranks, a reasonable chance at outnumbering and ability to take some casualties without losing rank bonus.

I find warriors of Khorne work best with hand weapon and shield, which means they are resiliant and still have 2 attacks each. I often field mine with full command and a banner of rage, which is the next best thing to a BSB. If so, you probably want about 20, and a character to support them against enemy unit-killers.

I dislike the mark of nurgle on chaos mortal units. You are too expensive per model to outnumber, so the mark occasionally makes enemies hit you on 6's, or fail a charge. However, it makes you more vulnerable to panic than normal warriors. It's not hugely expensive though. I'd either drop the warriors of nurgle, or give them some halberds, the few S4 attacks do not justify their cost. The chosen knights will do some serious damage, maybe give them a unit champion to take challenges?

Beast herd: these are better with more ungors, because they are cheaper, and add spear attacks to the gor attacks. The unit is worth making at least 20 strong and giving full command, IMO.

frienzied chariots can be charge-baited into woods, where they will destroy themselves. You'll have to be careful with your screening if you want to use this guy.

Overall, the army is powerful in cc, but vulnerable to magic and shooting. Both of these threats can be countered by screens (warhounds, beastherds), additional antimagic, and upping your numbers of cheap troops. And although I like the nurgle/khorne theme fluffwise, I don't see the mark of nurgle adding very much to your army on the battlefield.

Hope it helps!
    Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I completely forgot about equiping my guys, so I have some work to do on this. Thanks for the help and i'll post the new army list when I revise this one. Thanks again.
    Is the glass half empty of half full? Easy, if it was filled halfway up, its half full, if it was full and half is gone, the glass is half empty. Sometimes questions to life are easier than they seem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright heres the new list:

Daemon Prince
    (Master of Mortals, Diabolic Splendor, Spell Breaker)

Chaos Warriors Unit of Tzeentch (15)
    (Standard Bearer, Musician, Shields)

Chaos Warrior Unit of Khorne (20)
    (Stanard Bearer, Musician, Shields, Chosen)

Chaos Marauders Unit of Tzeentch (22)
    (Standard Bearer, Musician, Light Armor, Shields)

Chaos Marauders Unit of Khorne (20)
    (Standard Bearer, Musician, Light Armor, Shields)

Chaos Knights of Khorne (5)
    (Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion, Chosen)

Spawn of Chaos

Mounted Sorcerer of Chaos
    (Level 2 wizard)

Sorcerer of Chaos
    (Level 1 wizard)

Total Points: 1999

Alright here is a more revised list. I am going for a Tzeentch and Khorne army. My reasoning for this is to have magic resistance and have magic to use. I have a bunch of marauders to act as cannon fodder and to charge in, then I have a large unit of chosen chaos warriors to smash into the enemy and cause damage and a spawn of chaos to protect their side. Then there is another unit of chaos warriors to finish the job. There is also a unit of chosen chaos knights to keep the general safe, and sorcerers to provide magic support.

That is my plan so far, but comments and tips are greatly appreciated so I can fix some weaknesses with this army.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

er... uhm... huh?

Marauder units can't be marked at all. Also, sorcerers of Chaos, who are undivided, and can't take either Khorne OR Tzeentch, can't join any units with the Mark of Khorne or Tzeentch. So once your marauders are legal the mages will have somewhere to sit without being shot by whoever feels like it.

I still think warriors without halberds or MoK are a waste, and the points are better spent screening your existing units.

Daemons can't join mortal units, and undivided characters can't join units of Khorne. So even though you have the master of mortals gift, I don't see how your knights are going to keep your general safe, except if they run up and smack things that threaten it.

If you want magic resistance and magic to use, Khorne-divided might be a good way to go. Keep the knights and warriors of khorne, and put a khorne champion of some sort in the warriors. so you've got 5 DD. Then add 2-3 mages (bray-shamans, sorcerers, or characters with the book of secrets or mark of tzeentch). you'll then have 4-8 power dice, 7-8 dispel dice, and decent spell selection.

If you really want the mark of tzeentch, replace the tzeentch warriors with tzeentch knights, who are much more likely to be useful to you. You could even include the banner of change or wrath, or a character of tzeentch to make them a bit stronger. You can also spend extra points to make your daemon a spellcaster.

But first get some screens, otherwise shooting will still take you to pieces before combat. Some furies or screamers to attack war machines might help also.

Cheers,
    -Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, there's alot of problems there, I think I'm going to just write a whole new army list then and post it later.

+ Reply to Thread