which of these are good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: which ones

12. You may not vote on this poll
  • beatlord/ wargor

1 8.33%
  • doombull

0 0%
  • bray shamons(including great)

5 41.67%
  • beastigors

3 25.00%
  • warhounds

8 66.67%
  • chaos trolls

2 16.67%
  • chaos ogres

0 0%
  • centigors

3 25.00%
  • minotuars

3 25.00%
  • dragon ogre

3 25.00%
  • shaggoth

4 33.33%
  • giant

0 0%
  • spawn

8 66.67%
  • ogre mercinaries

1 8.33%
  • rugluds armored orcs

0 0%
  • Lord/ exalted champ/ aspiring champ

11 91.67%
  • exalted/ sorceror of chaos

7 58.33%
  • exalted/ prince of chaos

0 0%
  • blood thirster

1 8.33%
  • lord of change

0 0%
  • keeper of secrets

0 0%
  • great unclean one

0 0%
  • warriors

7 58.33%
  • maruaders

7 58.33%
  • chariots

7 58.33%
  • daemons ~ explain

3 25.00%
  • maruader horsemen or chaos knights.

8 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Closed Thread
    chaos wastes
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

which of these are good?

Hi, I just started hordes and i was wondering which of the above listed units are worth taking. Please explain why you choose what you did. These are the units i am considering for the future(ome obviose ones are not listed)

choas troll
    chaos ogre
    Ogre mercinaries
    spawn of chaos
    exalted/ daemon prince
    flesh hounds
    exalted/ apiring champions
    bray shamens
    dragon ogre

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

2. Remove Advertisements

Clarington Region (rough idea)
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

13 (x1)

I voted Bray-Shaman, Warhounds, Chaos Trolls, Centigors, Minotaurs, Champions, Sorcerers, Warriors, Daemons, Marauder Horsemen. My reasons are listed below...

Bray Shaman: Able to choose spells from the Lore of Beasts, which is lovely for beefing up lone characters using Bear's Anger. Other spells such as the Crow's Feast are handy as well, and they're cheaper than the Sorcerers, which is nice if you want to pour points into the essentials of your army. They also can be upgraded to carry a Bray-Staff, which can be used as armour or a Great Weapon (from memory, last I checked). They can also bear marks of chaos, which allows them to use the Lores of Nurgle or Slaanesh if given the appropriate mark.

Warhounds: Cheap and effective for screening purposes, and much faster than any other infantry screens which enables you to make an effort to do some harm to enemy missile troops. For maintainable screens, keep them in units of 5 or 6 and use them to screen your toughest units (Chaos Warriors and Minotaurs, for instance) from enemy missile fire, spells, and charges.

Chaos Trolls: Regardless of Stupidity, they're capable of doing some damage, especially with fear. Keep your general within at least under 12" of them so that they don't end up going stupid (they've got worse leadership than typical trolls, but they make up for that with more attacks). Troll Vomit seems to be another part of the investment in these brutes.

Centigors: Able to move through woods, allowing you to make a charge on an enemy unit's flank or even possibly taking down an unguarded hero. Being drunk, although it has downsides, can be of benefit if you're able to roll for Frenzy. There's also that trample ability that they've got.

Minotaurs: I don't know about you, but if you're getting a feeling that you'll be up against monsters or feel as though your army'll get beat down into the dirt by outnumbering enemy units, then these'll be a boon. Causing fear, able to be given Marks of Chaos, Bloodgreed, and above average stats compared to typical monsters makes Minotaurs a worthy asset (especially when you want to put a real hurt to your opponent).

Lords, Exalted/Aspiring Champions: Excellent fighters with mighty initiative and weapon skill, and able to bear Marks of Chaos as well. Asides from being great generals for Mortal or Daemonic Chaos armies (if you get the Chalice of Chaos), the Aspiring Champion can also be chosen to carry a Beasts of Chaos army's Battle Standard. Mounts are a great boon to get if you want them to keep up with faster elements or want them to get into the fray quicker.

Sorcerers: Pack chaos armour, which gives them a good Armour Save (although Bray-Shamans can also wear Chaos Armour, but at a price). Also able to bear Marks of Chaos, and the Marks of Slaanesh and Nurgle has them choosing spells from the lores of magic of those two gods respectively.

Warriors: Capable elite of the Mortal followers of chaos, these guys're capable of putting the smack down on the best troops your opponent can throw at them. Also able to bear marks of chaos, and can be upgraded to chosen which adds an additional point to their armour save. Keep them screened, as they're rather pricy (luckily, not as pricy when non-chosen).

Daemons: Just about every daemonic troops choice is rather powerful (Horrors aren't as capable as other Daemons in close combat, but they make up for this in being able to cast spells). They also cause fear, are immune to psychology, and are capable of harming ethereal creatures (I'm looking forward to trying out the Furies I've recently bought, as they're rather useful in War Machine crew hunting and for tackling lone heroes).

Marauder Horsemen: Fast Cavalry, which are handy for when making a charge with a hard-as-nails unit and following up with a flank or rear charge with these guys. Flails are a lovely choice when you're careful with your movement and judge your charges well. Throwing Axes are a great boon if you plan on having a unit of these guys going War Machine hunting.

My unit choices revolves around the Shield Wall tactic most of the time, as I happen to find that the extra point(s) in Armour Saves are worth it when you want your troops making it across the board in almost one piece. I also happen to take full command on units that'll be seeing the most fighting (which, in Chaos' case, happen to be lots and lots of close combat). Chariots are another choice, but the reason I didn't mark any of them is because they aren't my style (then again, this thought may change).

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

40 (x2)

Too generic of a poll. It all depends on your play style and strategy. Example - warhound great for a undivided, slaanesh and khorne force. Horrible in Tzeentch and Nurgle. Sure some units/models will be more popular then others but to rate the whole boolk like this. Nah

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Somewhere in the Warp eating some pie
    11 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

1466 (x8)

Chaos Lords/Exalted Champions/Aspiring Champions

A must in my opinion. Depending on which mark you choose to give them can equip then with some very powerful wargear and Ld9 on a chaos lord is absolutely vital for keeping your army in the fight.
    A battlestandard bearer is another good addition to any chaos army.

Chaos Sorcerers

Although you can give them marks I prefer to keep them undivided as this way you have three lores of magic to choose from rather than the one. This gives you just a little more tactical flexibilty.

I prefer marauders over warriors as you can get more of them for your points and they are still just as good, if not better than most other infantry out there. If you do take them though make sure you put a character in the unit to increase their prowess.
    Another tip is to make sure that you keep the units big at abour 25+ marauders and give them a full command.

Chaos Hounds

A must for any chaos army in my opinion as these guys are cheap and are great for screening your army from enemy firepower.

Marauder horsemen

Another must in my eyes as they can zip around to charge the enemies flanks and rears. Throwing axes is a popular choice but I would recomend giving them either spears or flails to increase the effectiveness of their charge.

Chaos Chariots

I cannot stress how good chaos chariots are, however they require some practice to use them right. Alway have two of them and always make sure they charge the same target. This way you get on average 7+2 impact hits plus whatever attacks the crew and horse have.

Chaos Warriors

Able to take on pretty much anything they are a worthwhile addition to your army but they need to be protected. I recomend giving them handweapons and shields if they are not chosen as they get a 3+ save in combat and halberd or greatweapons if they are chosen for the strength bonuses. However they need to be shielded so they can get into combat where you will be able to get the most out of them.

Dragon Ogres/Shaggoth

There seems to be something that seems to intimidate opponants when dragon ogres are on the table. They will attract quite a lot of firepower however their speed and resilience will mean that they should reach combat relatively unscathed and this is not a good thing for your opposition. Try to always give them heavy armour and a great weapon and they will carve through anything.

Far better than chaos ogres but if you are going to take them I would recomend either Leadbelchers for the firepower or Ironguts as they are very effective in combat with their greatweapons and heavy armour.

Another worthy addition that can hold up powerful units for a few turns whilst your army deals with the rest of opponants army. Always try to take at least two.
    Of all the spawn plaugebeasts and fiends of slaanesh are perhaps the best of the bunch.
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

Maryland, United States
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

First off, welcome to Chaos Kossolax. I hope you enjoy playing the army.

However, this poll is very broad and too generic I'm afraid. You've pretty much listed over half the units that Chaos can take.

My advice to you would be as follows:

-Figure out what god you want to play (if any)
    -Make up a sample army list
    -See what responses you get

Hope that helps

-=Post Closed=-

Closed Thread