Beast herds as cannon fodder... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Beast herds as cannon fodder...

I have yet to build my army, as I am still within the design stages. I have come to realise (after using the local store army a couple of times) the value of throwaway troops, typically in the form of marauders.

Anyway, I was mulling this point over, trying to figure out how to make this work (i'm not really a huge fan of the marauder miniatures). I considered using witchelves to represent - could look pretty good with a little conversion.

That could be a mite expensive, however.

Then (still the newbie that I am) I realised you could take units from the beasts of chaos army list, and figured I have a new source of cannon fodder - beast herds!

Just wondering how you guys all feel about using these guys like this. I suppose they would be a special choice, giving me access to less demons in my mortal army, but hey. To me, the ambush special rule, and the fact that they are skirmishers seems to make them a versatile and usefull bit of meat for the grinder of war.

Anyone out there field these guys?

"Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaver Junkie View Post
    Anyone out there field these guys?
    I field them all the time, beast herds are an awesome unit. But I never use them as a meat shield, they're far too useful for that. There are some arguments that they are good meat shields since they're skirmishers (-1 to hit them) and you can spread them out all along your battleline and still be covered (as you can't draw LoS through the gaps between skirmishing models).

However, I do think they're a bit expensive for a meat shield unit, although in mid to large games, a herd consisting of minimum Gors and no command, then filled out with shieldless Ungors might work. Warhounds are your other meat shield unit, since they are faster and also dirt cheap, but unfortunately they don't skirmish (though they should!).

Consider also though, that you don't always need to have cannon fodder units, I've won plenty of games against shooty armies without having to use meat screens. There are other ways of dealing with shooty troops and artillery. Flyers are always a good choice, as are fast cavalry. Spells can work too, as can good use of covering terrain.

If you consistently find yourself having to deal with gunline-on-hill armies, try and somehow play on a table with few, if any, hills. I once made a chaos wastes modular terrain table and didn't bother to make any hills for it. Part of the reason was because I was fed up of empire and dwarf armies at my club using the usual 'golf course' terrain and always taking advantage of the numerous hills we had, so I decided to level the playing field a bit!

Anyway, I've rambled on too long, so I'll leave it there. :C
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Consider also though, that you don't always need to have cannon fodder units, I've won plenty of games against shooty armies without having to use meat screens. There are other ways of dealing with shooty troops and artillery. Flyers are always a good choice, as are fast cavalry. Spells can work too, as can good use of covering terrain.

Shooty troops, artillery, cool. You have any ideas for copious amounts of goblin fanatics? I'll be facing a lot of these guys.

I suppose this is where the warhounds come in...

Anyway, I've rambled on too long, so I'll leave it there.
    Meh - rambles are good! Sometimes you can really grab some good pickings from within the madness. Gotta be careful though - sometimes the insanity can be catching!

However, I do think they're a bit expensive for a meat shield unit, although in mid to large games, a herd consisting of minimum Gors and no command, then filled out with shieldless Ungors might work.
    Well, thinking about it, I could work out the correct percentage of Gors to Ungors, and they could still cost the same as a bunch of marauders, for equal numbers. Doesn't sound too expensive.

Altough, you are correct - I would only use them as meat shields when neccessary, and all other times utilise their other abilities. Much like marauders also, however, as they look useful with flails, yet just the same I wouldn't flinch at loosing a unit or two.

Cheers overall though.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Personally I wouldn't use them since I dislike the models, but yea its a sound idea. Warhounds also work for this purpose.

+ Reply to Thread