Question on fear rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on fear rules

Hail and victory to Chaos.
    My friends and I have just recently become involved in the warhammer world, are attempting to start a club at our local games shop. Unfortunately, we havn't any experienced warhammer players to help us out. . . . . enter--Librarium Online. :party:

So, thank you in advance for any assistance that you can offer me.

On to the question. . . . With the fear rules, I am fairly confused as to how this works with units that are already in CC being charged by another fear/terror causing unit, and also how flee from a unit you fear and persuit work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Units already engaged in CC automatically pass all fear/terror tests so it has no effect when you charge them.

If an enemy unit that you fear wins combat AND outnumbers you, then your unit will break and flee automatically, unless you can roll a double 1 on a leadership test.

Fear has no effect on pursuits.

Hope that helps.
    ^_^

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Hi,
    I have a kind of follow up question to this one if anyone and clear it up for me a little.

Say a unit of 30 goblins are fighting a unit of 20 dwarfs. Now a troll (causing fear) joins in the melee, causing the dwarfs to loose combat. Now in this case would being outnumbered extend to all models in combat for being outnumbered by a fear causing enemy, (i.e 30 goblins + 1 troll vs 20 dwarfs,) or is it just the unit size of the fear causer (the troll vs 20 dwarfs) taken into account in which case the dwarfs did not loose combat to a fear causer that out numbers them, but just lost the combat.

Its just a problem were people i play have different views on how it works and i would appreciate any help available.

thanks,

Saltrock36

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

The dwarves just lose the combat normally. You have to be outnumbered by fear causing units, not just plain outnumbered. Point your friends to pg 50 in the BRB if they argue.
    ^_^

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

BRB, page 50:
    [...] if the combined unit strength of all fear causing units in CC outnumber them [...]
    (loosely translated from german)

so, no, just adding a single troll into the fray won't autobreak them :C
    It ain't easy bein' green... :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response, that helps conciderably.

One more question. when you say"a unit that you fear", does that mean just that the unit has fear, or that you failed the fear test prior to combat. I think I know the answer, just wanting clarification.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

One more question. when you say"a unit that you fear", does that mean just that the unit has fear, or that you failed the fear test prior to combat. I think I know the answer, just wanting clarification.
    A unit might cause fear but their enemy might also cause fear or is immune to psychology or some other negation so does not fear the fear causer.

That is why it is worded that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Whatever causes fear to your troops. Goblins fear elves, but chaos don't etc etc.

The fear roll before the combat starts (whether charging or being charged) has no effect on auto-breaking from fear causing enemies. Even if you succeed that roll, if you lose combat and are outnumbered you are still running.
    ^_^