Information for Chaos Tactica - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Member Khelthidul the Deathsword's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Information for Chaos Tactica

DavidVC04 gave me the ok to start writing here, so mods please do not close this yet.

I am new to Warhammer and this site has been a lot of help getting started. But I noticed there isn't a Hordes of Chaos tactica. I've already found some information, but I would like more input before making a full-blown tactica. Once I have enough information I'll ask DavidVC04 to clean up this post and I'll post in the tacticas forum.

Here is the basic layout. Post whatever think will help: opinions, pictures, what has worked best for you... quote Sun Tzu.

Chapter 1: Marks of Chaos - Which Dark god to follow?
    Chaos Undivided
    Khorne the Blood god
    Slaneesh the Dark Prince
    Tzeentch the Changer of Ways
    Nurgle the Lord of Decay

Chapter 2: Heroes and Lords - Including how to equip
    Lord of Chaos
    Exalted Sorcerer
    Daemon Prince
    Bloodthirster
    Keeper of Secrets
    Lord of Change
    Great Unclean One
    Exalted Champion
    Exalted Daemon
    Aspiring Champion
    Sorcerer

Chapter 3: Followers of Chaos - unit size and how to equip
    Marauders
    Marauder Horsemen
    Warriors
    Knights
    Chariots
    Warhounds

Chapter 4: Daemons of Chaos - unit size and how to equip
    Bloodletters
    Flesh Hounds of Khorne
    Plaguebearers
    Nurglings
    Daemonettes
    Horrors
    Screamers of Tzeentch
    Furies
    Chaos Spawn

Chapter 5: Archaon's Horde
    Special rules
    Archaon
    Crom the Conqueror
    Hellcannon
    Flayerkin

Chapter 6: Beasts and Mercenaries
    Beasts of Chaos - useful units
    Dogs of War - useful units

Chapter 7: Most Useful Magic Items

Chapter 8: Army Construction and Deployment
    "Standard" Chaos
    vs Chaos
    vs Bretonnia
    vs Dark Elves
    vs Dwarfs
    vs Empire
    vs High Elves
    vs Lizardmen
    vs Orcs
    vs Skaven
    vs Tomb Kings
    vs Vampire Counts
    vs Wood Elves

Last edited by Khelthidul the Deathsword; January 8th, 2008 at 23:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Whew, it's a big task! Chaos is such a versatile army with near endless builds. Beasts, mortals, demons, you can really go nuts with Chaos.

Good luck with the tactica. It could be of great value to newbies and veterans alike.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

I've just started collecting Hordes of Chaos mortal/daemon army (no beasts yet), a couple tactica would be great! :party2:
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I've been playing my own 'unique' style of Chaos since Hordes of Chaos came out. My army doesn't play according to any accepted strategies and is widely regarded as a mad way to play Chaos.

I use a mix of Khorne and Undivided. More accurately I've got a 900pt unit of death and 1100pts of filler.

And no, that's not as silly as it sounds.

Lord of Khorne (ECs are more 'efficient'), 9 CKoK with the banner of rage plough into the enemy and see what happens. Or in some cases let the enemy plough into them.

Screening if needed is carried out by undivided knights rather than hounds, and I make extensive use of warriors (both khorne and undivided). My army contains four units in total (complete total).

It gets punished by armies that are highly mobile and don't have many combat blocks (WE being the main), but usually gives many other armies a run for their money as they panic over a massive unit of Chosen bearing down on the centre of their line (I often opt for decapitation strikes).

It has more finesse than you might expect, but the strategy is simple - find the best the enemy has to offer and kill it. I'll try to elaborate on that over the week .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm this sounds interesting rork. ;Y

The problem is that everything that sounds like a warmachine or fanatics is going to blow away your entire army with no effort!!!

Don't take this as a criticism, take it as a laud! I love daring armies!

I'm looking forward to read more details

Cheers
    It's better, it's shiny, it's warped...it's Chaos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another useful thing to add would be overall tactics/tactics for the main"types" of armies, and general army building, as i think that is where players beginning this army often get lost/confused ... you could also ask some of the people doing a beasts article for advice on the beasts units (just for a rough overview)
    (when i say army building, i mean for the different types of "well rounded armies", as i think there are too many to fit into one section ..)
    Last edited by rugby gamer; January 7th, 2008 at 23:35. Reason: added details
    GEN 29:The 1st time you see this copy into your sig and add 1 to the generation

Member Khelthidul the Deathsword's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rugby gamer, I think you have a good point. Army Building is probably a pretty good place to start and the standard (as much as Chaos can be standardized) army builds are good.

So my opening question to players: What do you consider the "standard" or most often played Chaos armies. Remember this is not a Chaos tactica, but a Hordes tactica, so only Mortal and Daemon armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

I always take AT LEAST TWO Sorcerers when I play 1k pt. Slaanesh, but I think that's pretty standard for all Slaanesh players .. but lately I've been thinking of swapping one out for an Aspiring Champion with the Great Weapon for Chariot busting power to go with the Warrior block. Power Familiar for the lone Lv.2 Sorcerer (Sorceress for my army) so he can cast a low level spell with 2 dices and a high level spell with 3 dices, and still have quite alot of dispel dices to use in 1k pt. game. I am aimming for 2 Sorcerers and 1 Exalted Sorcerer for 2k pt. game... until then... I dont have much experience playing Chaos at large point game.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow_Man View Post
    The problem is that everything that sounds like a warmachine or fanatics is going to blow away your entire army with no effort!!!
    Absolutely. It's far from well rounded. But then everything else is fodder for the chosen knights - Fanatics? Suck them out with undivided knights. War machines? Take a pop at them with my token level 2 sorcerer.

In part that's why I have so many chosen knights. Some people assume I've got them there for rank bonus, and they'd be wrong. They're solely there to absorb some casualties, if I lose five, my unit still fights at full effectiveness. Some games are far from pretty, but with typical fixation on the knights, the warriors can sometimes sneak through and add more pressure to where my CKoK hit.

Magic items wise, I keep things quite light. My Lord has an Axe of Khorne and the gaze of the gods. While I have an annoying knack of not rolling killing blows (except against Empire Spearmen. Four times in one round), it's great to be able to deal with other super characters (who can often do the same to me) more quickly than with a plain old weapon that boosts strength. I have the GotG because too often before the release of HoC my Chaos Lord suffered at the hands of Blood Dragons 8X.

But lets talk about the main magic item. Perhaps the biggest steal in the entirety of Warhammer - The Banner of Rage. Pure Gold. Khorne units really hate to lose combat, it's usually game over if it happens. The BoR gives you several options, not only does it mean you're up for revenge in the next round of combat, it also means you can do ludicrously stupid things like take charges from heavy cavalry.

This is part of the reason I take a Lord (other than because I like lords), Ld9 and the banner's reroll makes them exceptionally dangerous no matter what happens. Just when your opponent thinks he has baited you into a trap, the banner alone can switch that around so easily. Chosen Knights (and chosen warriors, I suppose ) are a great way to beat enemy cavalry with this item - sucker them in and watch as their puny attacks (and usually initiative) mean nothing to your own unit.

Warriors get a bad press. They're slow and expensive (and that's the truth), but I like them. They're difficult to write off given their decent WS, T and save and in my army I can use the hammer and anvil strategy with a twist against resilient foes. Chosen Knights are typically a hammer unit, but given that they've got T4 and the 1+ save means they can suck up a lot of punishment in combat, and given that they are chosen knights, sometimes attract a lot of attention to defeat them.

But the Chaos warrior, poor guy, is written off as a secondary concern. The general perception is that they're rubbish. So you use this. Suddenly those warriors come steaming in as support - and what is the enemy going to do about it? They're already fighting one of the best units in the game, and here's another bearing WS5 attacks.

You can make warhammer a very psychological game. CKoK are a huge red (ahem) flag that screams "SHOOT ME". Make sure you can use that to your advantage. If you've got a few models to lose in that unit, you can use the flak they take to sneak some other hard units "under the radar" - or your opponent will spread his firepower too thinly and not do enough to any of them.

Despite the perception, Khorne is one of the most subtle armies in warhammer. Every angle has to be considered and you have to be constantly think one, if not two turns ahead. A lot of people deride Khorne as a simple army, and you can use that to your advantage.

With Khornate units you can make your opponent destroy his own army.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont know is this the right topic,but what is the Anvil and Hammer strategy?

How can someone not obey Khorne?! xD
    I usually use lots of Warriors ,screened by beast herds. I now its a slow army ,but when it gets into place BOOM , ofcourse calvalry is a problem ,but I use the beast herds to lure them out and charge with the Warriors. I use small numbers of Warrior (10models) to maximize the Dispel dice pool. Now im getting Flesh Hounds for flanking ,hope they work..being fast cavalry and all xD . Oh and I allways play a unit of Chaos Trolls , even though I suck at they'er leadership tests and regeneration grr ;/ . But when they kicked the Kroxigor units arse,that charged my Trolls ,I decided that they'er a great defensive unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast