Starting WoC....Tempt me! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting WoC....Tempt me!

Hey all,

Having recently completed my mandatory 2000 points of Wood Elves, I'm feeling the incling to start an evil fantasy army!
    This decision is currently leaving me torn between a magic heavy Tzeentch Daemon army or a rather more balanced WoC force...

Now I have both army books for reference, but the main issues with my decision are as follows;

I can't really see WoC being as competative as Daemons; Daemons just seem to be the be all and end all of fantasy at the moment. (+1 for daemons)
    I recently found my brothers old old OLD carry case (1 layer thick) full of Chaos warriors! Got about 15 warriors, a sorceror, and a lord on a steed - this combined with the fact that WoC have a battalion box swings it slightly in their favour. (+1 for WoC)

So, yeah, any advice or pointers to settle my torn mind towards one or the other!

Cheers in advance

Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

If you're looking to win, go with Daemons. If you're looking for an interesting new army that proves to be a VERY strong counterpoint to your wood elves (very reliant on getting into combat and dishing out the hurt there), then Warriors would make a great choice. Warriors offer a fairly strong army that can do alright with magic, great with CC, and does little with shooting (basically just the hellcannon, aside from some thrown weapons with fast cav).

You will struggle to bring over the top maneuverability (skirmishers/fliers) into the list. Skirmishers are unavailable, and your only fliers will be in the form of heroes on disks or manticores or dragons. Wulfrik allows you to get in behind enemy lines, so that can help to some extent.

Anyways, yeah, if you are really looking to tip the scales in your favor, and don't mind being like everyone else doing it, go with daemons. Also no shame in choosing them if you like the model line and the playstyle. As for warriors, you probably have ~500pts of chaos to start with, but I really wouldn't want to make that the final decision of whether or not you are spending quite a bit more to get an army that you won't be happy with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Sangren, +rep for honesty at least!

I've never been much of a power gamer, but I've been fiddling around with daemon lists for a few weeks and they just seem so easy to cheese up. But you are right about everybody doing the same thing and the cost issue (my ideal daemon list is all metal, incredibly expensive and requires some stupid conversions).

To be honest, when I think of WoC, all I can picture is the opening cinematic to Mark of Chaos (the game), where the Chaos Warriors just stride forward, handgun shots pinging off their armour and slapping empire soldiers upside their heads..... awesome!

Arrgghhh, powergaming vs cost! Tzeentch vs tactics! Ward saves vs good old fashioned chaos armour! Decisions.....
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ajay29 View Post
    Cheers Sangren, +rep for honesty at least!

I've never been much of a power gamer, but I've been fiddling around with daemon lists for a few weeks and they just seem so easy to cheese up. But you are right about everybody doing the same thing and the cost issue (my ideal daemon list is all metal, incredibly expensive and requires some stupid conversions).

To be honest, when I think of WoC, all I can picture is the opening cinematic to Mark of Chaos (the game), where the Chaos Warriors just stride forward, handgun shots pinging off their armour and slapping empire soldiers upside their heads..... awesome!

Arrgghhh, powergaming vs cost! Tzeentch vs tactics! Ward saves vs good old fashioned chaos armour! Decisions.....
    Had never heard of Marks of Chaos: reps for leading me to one of the most awesome YouTube videos I'd watched in a long, long time!

Edit: Sangren, apparently I'd finally 'spread the love' enough to +rep you, so yay! Long overdue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el_don View Post
    Had never heard of Marks of Chaos: reps for leading me to one of the most awesome YouTube videos I'd watched in a long, long time!

Edit: Sangren, apparently I'd finally 'spread the love' enough to +rep you, so yay! Long overdue!
    No probs, check the warhammer online cinematic as well; its not quite as atmospheric (sp?) but tis still a bit awesome!

Now, anone else wanna give me their views on why I should collect WoC? Please....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

See it comes down to what you want the army for.
    If you want to play, and win all the time... Daemons.
    If you want a challenge, be the underdog alot, but still have a good chance to win... WoC.

They are both equally fun to paint/convert (although I prefer dealing with plastic. And an all metal army would scare me).

What I would recommend would be paint a couple of the warriors you found. See how you like them. Try and play a 500pt game with what you have and proxies. See how they work. If you don't fall in love, pick up like 500 pts of daemons. Test them out, paint them and do the same as with the WoC. Worst comes to worst, you'll have 500 pts of daemons and go for a WoC army. Either way, you can still always incorporate daemons into a WoC army for epic battles or w.e.

Personally, I love painting WoC (plus pretty new models ), so I recommend them.
    Good luck,

ps. post pictures of your army when you do decide. I'd love to see it either way.
    Black Templar (W/D/L): 4/6/2
    Dark Eldar (W/D/L): 4/1/0
    Warriors of Chaos (W/D/L): 3/0/1

+ Reply to Thread