Marauder Horsemen - What should they chuck at you? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What should marauders throw?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spears!!! Pointy!!!

24 15.48%
  • Axes!!! Cutty!!!

87 56.13%
  • Huh? They're MoK, they don't shoot... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

44 28.39%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Marauder Horsemen - What should they chuck at you?

Okay, so I'm equipping the new marauder horsemen. My first unit is going to have flails because I think the weapons look amazing, and I must have them. My question is, what ranged weapons would you use on them?

I believe the only differences are -

Spears - 8", 3 str
    Axes - 6", 4 str

Is the extra str (and lowered range) of the axes worth paying the extra points for? Let's hear your thoughts. Feel free to just submit your answer, but I'd also love to hear reasons. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first unit has Axes. Extra strength for chopping up wizards and artillery crews. (although something feels wrong when the axe they throw at you hits harder than the one they physically bash your skull in with)

My next will have Throwing spears.

Then I will form a regiment of 10 with either Flails or Spear and shield for shitkicking. Probably flails, working on the premise that little should be alive to hit back.

My ranged units will have Mark of Nurgle.
    Shitkickers will have Mark of Khorne and some puppies.
    Invisible Toast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

First up, I'm a little confused. Why would a WoC player want to take the MoK on a Fast Cav unit?

Anyways, I voted axes, purely because they're more fluffy. I'll let the players duke it out amongst themselves which is better on grounds of gaming purposes.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Hey, yeah, I think the idea with MoK is to get them to be a cheap form of heavy cavalry. A lot of people seem excited to do it, and with flails and the extra attacks on both riders and mounts, they seem like they really could hit pretty hard with a flank charge. Personally I don't think I'll be doing that, but you never know, it might be worth trying at some point. It is really painful to lose that flexibility on your fast cav though.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

those aren't spears, they're javelins (check the rules in the BR

But always take the throwing axes. They rock. Since your fast cav can run and move so quickly, they can always get into a great position to throw axes, kill guys and even be out of line of site from chargers.

MoK on fast cav is a terrible idea unless they changed the rules (got rid of frenzy) and fast cav will never be heavy cav due to their lack of armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Javelin for sure!

I like to keep my Fast Cavalry fairly cheap and do what a Fast Cav is suppose to do. People seem to forget that they are Fast Cav just because they can take a Mark

Mark of Nurgle, Javelin, Light Armour, Spear.. cheap expendable, so I can take multiple units of them, and best of all, they are CORE CHOICE! my god! something to rival my DE Dark Riders.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    157 (x3)

I voted Huh because I'd only give them a missile option if I had some spare points at the end of writing the list.

Also I think MoK is a great option aw well, with flails and the fast cavalry rule they are pretty destructive on the charge and can minimize the effects of frenzy greatly using the fast cavalry rule to reform and face away from where the enemy will be baiting until they are ready to engage.
    BEN DIESEL FTW!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Yeah I was thinking about the fast cav facing direction, and how you could negate a lot of frenzy issues that might come up with that. The question would be how beardy that is, and how many opponents would go . I love fast cav majorly, but sometimes I feel like that free reform is open to some serious abuse.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangren View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about the fast cav facing direction, and how you could negate a lot of frenzy issues that might come up with that. The question would be how beardy that is, and how many opponents would go . I love fast cav majorly, but sometimes I feel like that free reform is open to some serious abuse.
    It does seem pretty dang beardy, but also very clever. I hadn't considered it at all but I love the idea - though not in social games, of course. Or, maybe once.

I don't have access to my rulebook at the moment, so I'm not sure - but can Fast Cavalry fire in all directions?

Also, someone mentioned spears and shields - why would you give them spears when you can give them flails for one extra point? They're two-handed, sure, but you can take light-armour in place of the shield for the same armour bonus. One extra point per model and you get an extra +1 strength in the first turn and don't get lumbered with ASL. Unless you're aiming for fluff, and your army is particularly spear-heavy, or whatever.

Flails I'm not a huge fan of on infantry - I tend to think you should use either HW/Sh or a GW - but on cavalry, I love flails. Nothing better if you can't take a lance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el_don View Post
    It does seem pretty dang beardy, but also very clever. I hadn't considered it at all but I love the idea - though not in social games, of course. Or, maybe once.

I don't have access to my rulebook at the moment, so I'm not sure - but can Fast Cavalry fire in all directions?
    Yeah fast cavalry have a 360 degree view for shooting.

When I (eventually...) get round to starting my WoC army, I'm gonna use my marauder cavalry as a mix of support fire and flank-charge shock troops; give them flails, throwing axes and MoK and run them round with their backs to units (meaning the frenzy won't make them charge, but their fast cavalry rules allow them to shoot ) and them flank/rear charge units wen the blocks arrive!
    Gonna ave at least 3 units for this!

I play WE, so I'm a little bit nuts about my fast cavalry .....
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast