what do people think of a troll, ogre army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: what do you think of a troll ogre army

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • trolls, ogres, can you see the drool, oh,er, i guess you cant

7 16.28%
  • awsome, might wanna add other stuff too but still great

21 48.84%
  • its okay, could be annoying

5 11.63%
  • its not that great stick with ogre kingdoms

7 16.28%
  • terrible! yoou would have to be on drugs!

3 6.98%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do people think of a troll, ogre army

i run ogre kingdom, and after looking through the hordes of chaos book realised that with the troll king as your hero i could make a pure troll ogre army, i would probably add human spell casters.

what do people think, thoughts and comments on the subject are welcolmed.

cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sort of like the idea of being able to make a "Monstorous Horde". The only real problem that I can see is the cost of such an army. Unless you are doing a heavy conversion army it would be on the steep side as far as cost.

I also think that a Monsterours Horde would be best in less than 2,000 pts game. Going off of fluff the only real Lord you could use with them in a 2,000+ pts game would be a Daemon Prince. Considering that Throgg (the Troll King) is marching against humanity in general, regardless alignment (chaos or empire).

but than again that is me, I am into fluffy armies like that though.

One last thing real quick does anyone have any conversion ideas for orge and troll models?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I think it would have problems vs shooting forces, as Trolls and Ogres are still not THAT tough, and low model count will certainly cause problems..

Example would be against a balanced Empire army. Sure you will cause problems once in combat, but chances are you won;t get the charge vs Knightly orders, and against deep infantry blocks, you will lose SCR, as they will generally have ranks, standard, outnumber (even after casualties) and musicians.

Cannonry will cause problems as well, and this is an army which I don't think would be able to cope with flying monsters, as the whole point of Ogres, Trolls and their ilk is to get a good round of combat to break opponents in turn 1, protracted combats mean the opponent can activate more units to flank/rear charge. Flying monsters will tie up smaller units, march block, and generally causing terror, they will make leadership tests problematic...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TzeentchSpawn View Post

One last thing real quick does anyone have any conversion ideas for orge and troll models?
    Quite wide ranging TBH - there are dozens of troll models out there - River Trolls, Stone Trolls, and the new generic Trolls. There are also Chaos Trolls. With three models of each (I believe) that's 12 models already without any real customisation. Using spawn bitz, you can create some more, e.g. tentacled

For Ogres, you have plastic Ogre Kingdoms models, and as such they should be easy enough to convert suitably chaotic (modelling heavy armour using plates made from greenstuff, or using Empire shields etc "nailed" into place). Some Ogres look more chaotic than others - Gorgers, Hunters, Butchers come to mind..Same with the Tyrant with closed helmet - that could be made to look like a giant Chaos Warrior helmet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

You could always use kolek as a lord, or something on a dragon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Well theres some things you would need, imho.

One: Speed

These come from say Dragon Ogres, and keeping in fluff, Galruach.

Two: Range of some variety

Helcannon. Just think of something interesting for the crew. Magic too.

Actually galruach or a daemon prince would be really good. Magic defense and speed with combat punch.

Just brainstorming.
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TzeentchSpawn View Post
    I sort of like the idea of being able to make a "Monstorous Horde". The only real problem that I can see is the cost of such an army. Unless you are doing a heavy conversion army it would be on the steep side as far as cost.

I also think that a Monsterours Horde would be best in less than 2,000 pts game. Going off of fluff the only real Lord you could use with them in a 2,000+ pts game would be a Daemon Prince. Considering that Throgg (the Troll King) is marching against humanity in general, regardless alignment (chaos or empire).

but than again that is me, I am into fluffy armies like that though.

in order for thrug to suceed in his goal he would require help, the idea for the fluff is that the ores migrate into the badlands and find a bunch of chaos worriors being destriyed but regarded are impressed by their will and ability to fight on, the ogre cannot help but show em how its done, after driving the threat away in what would be a brutal attack the preists would see the potential and bring their mighty maneater before thrugg who would accept the ogres as not men and allow them to join their battles, taking spoils and wreaking havok, it is a mutual agreement, the preists remaiin as the element of chaos that has prompted this loose alliance and wanders the battle feild to aid these monstrous creatures in creating chaos and weakening the worldsforces enough so that their masters plans may be acheived.

so you see their is a fluff, their is always a fluff.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whos that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i already own an ogre kingdoms army, that gives me about 30 models to play with, so all i have to do is buy trolls and wizards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WoC armies have to go through the Troll Country to reach the Empire in order to do war with them. Why wouldn't the monsters be joining up with them to do so?

Even though it's costly to buy Trolls in bulk, it's not like the rest of the core is moved to special.