Kitting your Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you put on your knights for command?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full Command with magic banner, go big or go home!

37 50.00%
  • Full Command without a magic banner, go pretty big or go home

23 31.08%
  • Just Champion, an extra hit and a challenger, why not?

8 10.81%
  • Just Musician, hmm, maybe I should be using fast cav instead...

8 10.81%
  • Nothing, keep them "cheap"

8 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Kitting your Knights

Hey all, I'm in the process of building the set of 5 chaos knights that I have, and would like some advice on kitting them. I think I am going to go with ensorcelled weapons, but I don't know what I should do about command. I see a lot of the lists generally don't have a command unless they have a magic banner. How often do you find yourself using a command with them? I know it's always tough to worry about handing over that extra 100 victory pts.

My last army was skaven so I never had to even think about cavalry, let alone heavy cavalry's options. Let me know what you think, I want to get these guys built and ready to fight!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I added a poll for driveby viewer/voters. I still would like to hear some responses too, though. I made it multiple choice because I figured that some people might have one unit without command and one with a full com with magic banner, or sometimes they run a champion and sometimes they dont, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

The gear you will give them will only reflect the way you intend to use them. Magical attacks are staying power is always the way to go. In general a musician is pretty much mandatory. You want to rally on a 9.

Giving them a banner is never a bad idea. It's not like you are handing 100 pts, it takes alot to take down Chaos Knights in close combat. If they get shot down, no harm done. A warbanner is a good investment to maximise the combat resolution they will bring to any combat.

I don't see much value in champions I will admit.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Agh, good call, whenever I post a poll I always forget something. This time I did the multipick thinking that I was saving myself from doing that.

Anyways... that does sounds like a pretty solid idea, I think that is probably how I will do them. I can always just say this guy in the middle is a champ, anyways, if that's what I want to do.

Solid response with good support for your arguments... Rep'd!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm not normally known for spamming full command, but as Chaos Knights are your line breakers in many cases, full command is a good thing.

After that, I'm currently thinking along two tracks (both are in the army I'm building):

1) Lances and either Mark of Khorne or Banner of Rage
    2) Enchanted Weapons and Blasted Standard (maybe Mark of Tzeentch as well)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just speaking from experience, i have found that knights of tzeentch with that blasted standard are amazing. My HE friend spent 2 turns of boltthrower fire before he killed a single one. I made 2 ward saves and made back the points of the standard bearer, the mark and the standard on the first turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Fully kitted out can be fun, but I personally enjoy them to be cheap. 5 with mark of Slaanesh keeps things very sturdy, and cheap. Much easier to fit in two units that way.

If I do run them kitted out, it it usually wiht Mark of Nurgle and the Banner of Rage.
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Champions are way too expensive for +1 attack.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

Chaos Knights are there to kill things up front in a devestating charge that smashes all assunder, so anything that helps them to do this is worthwhile.

The most effective combination I have come up with is 6 Chaos Knights with lances, Mark of Nurgle, Full command and the Banner of Rage (There is now no mark restriction on the banners now).
    You get a total of 19 strength 6 attacks on the charge with the enemy suffering from -1 WS.
    They are protected from shooting by their +1 save and the enemy suffering -1 to hit so they are likely to get the charge.

This set-up has won me few games already and my opponants have learned to fear them, especially when they smashed through a regiment of dwarf ironbreakers like a hot knife through butter.

JvK
    Last edited by Jared van Kell; October 30th, 2008 at 23:41.
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Yeah, but it comes a point where your throwing extra points at the unit for only 1 more attack. There's alot you can buy for that point cost in this army and the unit you just described won't miss 1 attack. Unless you're putting a BSB or something in the unit too, then go ahead.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast