Magic in WoC - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Lore you rate best

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tzeentch

28 40.00%
  • Slaanesh

9 12.86%
  • Nurgle

33 47.14%
  • Other

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic in WoC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic in WoC

The Poll addresses which Lore you think is best, Other being lores such as fire from Rulebook.

Last edition Slaanesh was near the best lore in the game, tzeentch was also good for its direct damage.

This edition Why am I only hearing about tzeentch magic and nothing at all of Slaanesh, formerly I very good lore?

I was thinking Slaanesh should be still up there, picture the Slaanesh movement manipulation coupled with a Khorne/Slaanesh army, so that my sorcerers move the opposition into place for tactical frenzy charges, while my Slaanesh warriors travel across the board behind the marauders and dogs free of panic.

What is BAD about Slaanesh in comparrison to tzeentch this book compared to last?

[2000] Orks [2000] Tau,
    [1500]SM [2250] WHFB Chaos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slaanesh is still good for disruption, just not on ITP units.

Tzeentch (my favourite for Fluff reasons) has some really cool off-the-wall spells, less direct damage than before though. Got to love the pandemonium spell though. Plus, people are getting all hung up on the number 6 spell of ultimate doom.

Nurgle strikes me as an effective lore, with both direct damage and subtle undermining of units' effectiveness.

I rate them all, it's a good spread of effectiveness without being overpowered. I think Nurgle might actually be better than my favourite, Tzeentch.

Add to that, though, that with Disks available, and the effect of the Mark of Tzeentch, their sorcerers have a distinct advantage over other marked spellcasters. This may be at the root of the favouritism.
    Invisible Toast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I haven't quite figured out my vote on that yet, I think Nurgle and Tzeentch both have a head start in the runnings. The disk + MoT does seem like a very potent system.

The problem with Slannesh, as was addressed, is that a few of its spells (which is a lot when there are 6 total) are not effective on ITP troops. More people are taking troops like that to prevent having to deal with fear. Unfortunately, some of the biggest armies right now (daemons and VCs) will have NO troops on the board that can be affected by these spells, so if you get them as a slannesh caster against one of these armies, you are very much so SoL.

I'm also thinking fire could be interesting - the sword spell could really be of some use on a Chaos Sorcerer, who already does mediocre in combat, and the magic missiles would help to replace our lack of shooting to some extent.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I also have to go for Tzeentch, For both fluff and game use. Balefoul Transmografacation sounds interesting. If your opponent fials LDR his men turn into breying animals depending how much he looses by. I wonder if it works on undead though. Treason of tzeentch is cool. You dont even even have to have yuo opponent make a test. Just be in range and immune to Psycology. And of course there is Infernal gateway

Nurgle i like fluff wise. Inflicting all kinds of sickness on your foes even making it rain filth from the sky. The regeneration spell i like most of all.

Slannesh, eh it's ok. Ive never been a big fan of the Dark prince.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You also need to look at what army in general people will be using. Most seem to be going for Nurgle and Tzeench because they offer the best defense both agains shooting and in combat. Puting the mark of Slanesh on a unit of warriors just dosnt give them the edge that the others have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my own choice i like tzeench but i love the leaper spell and quagmire ones in nurgle they just kick but for all comers it tzeench, slannesh has gone down as there are a lot of armies and units out there that most of the spells just won't effect at all or much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I was really hard pressed to stick with just one type of magic after reading the new book. But... I did end up going for Tzeentch. Back in the "Hordes of Chaos" days.. I had an all Tzeentch list, and it was powerful! It's hard for me to steer away from that as it holds a special place in my chaos-striken heart.
    However.. it's nigh impossible to run a list with 1 tzeentch sorc, and a nurgle sorc!
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I think 1 MoT + 1 MoN sorcerer is going to be a really great combination. Tzeentch is whacky and nurgle is pretty solid. I think that the balance of the two will be far more helpful, most of the time, compared to having multiple of one. Although... I can fully see the need for 4 nurgle casters sniping out heroes like nobody's business. Sure they might not make their points back, but your opponent will be extremely frustrated when his heroes start popping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Personally.... my Character selection looks like this:

Lvl 4 Tzeentchi Sorc
    Lvl 2 Tzeentchi Sorc on Disc (debating whether or not to put lord on the disk)
    Lvl 2 Slaaneshi Sorc
    Festus

I love magic, and this gives me a lot of variety. I think Tzeentch has a lot of versatility though. And some obscure uses. Nurgle lore combined with Slaanesh should mean I could absolutely destroy units.

Fun in my opinion. And an army with that many characters has a low model count
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing to remember with the Tzeentch Magic list is that they have taken the +1 to cast into consideration and made the spells about 1 higher to cast anyway (give or take). It's tempting to go magic heavy also because Eye of the gods makes most combat hero builds easily contained - it's very hard for your lord to get stuck into the opponents characters when a unit champion takes the fall for them...

The downside is that there Chaos Magic items aren't really that good. There are a few nasty items (tongue + puppet, +2 to castings etc.) but they are not point effecient setups, unlike most of the vamp combos, ring of hotek etc.

I'm tossing up between going Level 4 on a dragon with -1 ld flying in between the enemy forcing as much terror as possible and being a magic missile / breath platform. for that reason, I'm (almost) tempted not to use tzeentch and get lots of lovely magic missiles with Lore of Fire, although the ward save boost is nice.

The other option for me is actually a Daemon prince - he's not too bad point effeciency (could be better) but as a level one provides a crucial dispel dice that helps towards a Magic defensive army. The only downside is the lack useful magical bits and pieces...

oh and unless your taking a chaos Lord, you virtually have to make your BSB your general, just so you can take more Sorcerers...

OT - is there any magic item / gift that can be used to protect a dragon more - does he get the ward saves from marks, items etc?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast