Welcome to Librarium Online!
My first time playing and setting up my army. It was a 2000 point game, with much blood and slaughter. I was going against Dogs of War, here's my army:
Sorcerer Lord MoT
Exalted Hero MoK
Unit of Chosen
Two units of warriors
Unit of Marauders
Knights of Chaos MoN
My poor chariot was taken out even before it moved by some caliper gun cannon, and the hellcannon never got a direct hit on his two attempts. The Units of Chosen with the Exalted hero in the unit were shot down before they got any action, and the only things that caused any real harm were the Knights, the Sorcerer and one of the chaos units.
I'm mainly going to go against 3 armies. Dogs of War, Lizardmen, and Dark Elves, with the occasional High Elf.
I love my guys, any suggestions on what to throw at them? I really don't know if I can buy any additional figures besides some marauder horsemen, and chaos giant, and maybe a lord of khorne on a Juggernaut. Thanks for any tips!
Well a Giant usually attracts a lot of enemy shooting, so it might help more of the rest of your army get into combat.
What kind of list did he use? You should have won that match pretty comfortably, since the DoW are pretty mediocre at best.
Personaly I dont like the hell cannon. The model is great but my luck with a stone thrower is horrable. Something I noticed is that you seem to lack much in the way of speed. Might I sugest droping the hell cannon for some Warhounds say 3 units of 5 and you'll still have a good 100 points to throw around. Also How big were your Warriors and your Chosen units. From what I've seen you should try not to run them bigger than 15 models in a 2K list.
What you need:
Marauder horsemen & Warhounds
A second chariot
They can be used to shield things like your chosen (to get them in combat) and will make the list more manouvarable, as well as add a bit more to model count.
I know you chariot didn't get a chance, but the DO work best in pairs, just for future reference.
What you don't need:
Maybe 2nd warriors unit
Hellcannon really isn't reliable! it doesn't really support the chaos list that well, as it it the only shooting and unless that sorcerer has infernal puppet, the damage from the hellcannon probably won't ever make its points back
The 2nd unit of warriors can be dropped to get some of the stuff above, just in order to add some more manouvarability and screens.
Just my Opinion though. Da Boyzz.
 Orks  Tau,
SM  WHFB Chaos
Using hounds as meat sheilds can save you hitty stuff from a turn or two of fire.
Last edited by Evil Moon; November 13th, 2008 at 04:12.
Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.
Thank you all for your replies. I did think that the cannon wasn't pulling his weight when it came down to it. Warhounds and Horsemen Marauders are something I had been considering for a long time. My big concern is the big firepower these armies have. Cannons from the dogs of war, and the black sky full of arrows that the elves will give me.
If shooting is your problem then I sugest making your army a Nurgle/Tzeentch build. I did because I like the magic and fluff behind them, but in my first game playing against Skaven my Warriors of tzeentch with the blasted standard were able to take the magic and shooting for 3 rounds till I was into combat.
2. Due to a high point cost, it is hard to bring a Chosen unit over 10 models. If you still want them in your list, I would spend the points for a MoT and Blasted Standard. I also would advise you against sticking any characters in this unit. Even with a 4+ ward save against shooting, players will still try to cut them down with missile fire.
3. One 15 model unit, of CWs, is really all you need. I prefer shields/hand weapons myself.
4. How do you equip your marauders? Hand weapon/shield, with a full command, is what I like best. Though, I prefer not to paint so much skin ( I suck at it ), I am content with my marauder horsemen. As per a thread I had, with some wonderful help, I have horsemen units armed with flails and light armor, full command, and with a MoK. I hunt down small units, and warmachine crews, with messy results!
5. Your Knights are good. Do you use lances? I have a unit with lances, and one unit that kept their ensorcelled weapons. I do not leave home, without full commands, either. Give your unit, if you can spare the points, the Banner of Fury.
6. As said in a eariler post, take chariots in pairs. They seem to attract a truck-load of missile fire. Really cannot give you more advice on this, as I really sick at using them, lol.
7. I never was a big fan of the hellcannon. I grabbed one, when it first came out, and had such a bad time gluing it. It would have been better off, with its own set of rules, instead of being counted as a stone thrower.
I would go with a giant, or 4 spawn ( 1-2 per a rare choice ). Oh the fun, watching all that spawn, slurpping around the field.
Just my "two cents".