Warhound formation 10 wide or 2 rows of 5 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Warhound formation 10 wide or 2 rows of 5

I'm somewhat new to Fantasy (having the rulebook for quite some time) but have yet to play my first "serious" game.

Recently my mind got caught on building a Nurgle army. And along that, I'm including 50 Warhounds. 5 squads of 10. Now, I do know how it works out on ranks and combat resolution, but given the fact that I'm building movement trays I'm somewhat curious... do I go for 10 wide trays, or do I go for the "traditional" 5 wide, 2 rows.

Besides the hounds I run 3 squads of 15 warriors each, A hero on a chariot another chariot and a mounted sorceror.

I tend to go for poisoned hounds, so I do not intend to use them for screening purpose only but to get in combat ASAP.

So, what to do? What experience do WoC players have with hounds in regards to unit width?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, and I think this might be a common response, I really think using them for combat is... less than ideal. For the points you spend on poisoned attacks you might as well grab Marauder Horsemen w/ flails. So, my first suggestion is 1x5

If you are intent on using big blocks, 1x10 is just too bulky to work, really. It's going to end up blocking up everyone. 2x5 would be better, but you're never really going to see that +1 CR used because Hounds are easy kills and someone will send an arrow their way eventually. It only takes one to remove your rank bonus. The best formation, imho, would be a frontage of 7, so you get the maximum combat w/o too much blockage. You also can stand three dead models before your combat power is reduced.

All the above should be tempered by the fact that I have never actually played warhounds in a unit above 5 - it's mostly theory, although I'd like to think it's pretty sound.

tl;dr - Play Marauder Cav
    Trust in your core choices - love them, hate them, wish them dead to clear charges, but remember that come end they will pull off a miracle for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

The Hounds will break easily and will die horribly to anything shot at them. So instead of 1 big unit, I would use two small. That way the opponent have to dedicate two missile units to kill them, or 1 unit two turns. The hounds are bred to die, not to kill.
    Hounds are used to block LOS to and for knights and warriors that are frenzied and rush gun/archerlines so they have to shoot they hounds and not your precious warriors and knights.
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; November 23rd, 2008 at 21:13.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say it, but I honestly cannot see this army working at all and I would advise a new plan before you go and buy too many hounds!

These guys really aren't meant to be used for combat and having so many in the army is kind of wasting points, unless you back them up with some very hard hitting units, like multiple units of knights and some chosen.

At least if you have a number of very strong units behind soo many hounds they are bound to make it into combat i guess!
    [2000] Orks [2000] Tau,
    [1500]SM [2250] WHFB Chaos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

First now I saw that you intend on using 50 hounds. that won't do much good beside providing a wall of flesh, but when they arrive at their target they won't do much damage. So they could as well be knights who will hit harder and actually do some damage.
    I have a warhound heavy khornate army. The warhounds are used to block the field of vision for my Knights and Warriors who are frenzied so they will not run away chasing something I don't want them to.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

+ Reply to Thread