Librarium Online Forums banner

Cheap guy who likes Halberds

755 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Lord Borak 
#1 ·
Hey I have two units of warriors with shields and hand weapons on them. due to lack of funds is it possible to count them as having halberds too. I don't want to buy two more units and halberd spru peices. I personally don't see why not because it would be hard modeling three weapons on a model. Is this an issue that will just vary with who I play against and the place I play at? And I am new to fantasy so don't hammer on me if this is an obvious no answer.

#2 ·
everything is possible, just make sure you let your opponent know befor the battle.
If you where playing me, I wouldn't make a fuss about it.
Allthough you might get into trouble at tournements or when you're playing a WYSIWYG* puritain.

Generaly speaking in-game wise, all models count as having a handweapons on them at all times even though you cannot see it on the model. So you would only need to replace the handweapon arm with a halberd arm, and you good to go.

*WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get.

#3 ·
Yeah, Maximus-Prime is correct here. People are generally OK with minor weapons proxies (like a HW and shield counting as a Halberd). If you start counting them as DoW Pikemen, on the other hand...

Just as long as your opponent knows before the game who's carrying what, then everything should be fine. Fluffwise, you could call it a unique fighting style that utilises shields and swords in a creative way.

#4 ·
Yeh, it totally depends on the environment. In most friendly pick-up games, the majority of players fine with pretty much anything proxie, so long as you tell them what the models "count as". In a tourney though, you might catch some flak, as the majority of tournaments I've taken part in a fairly strict with WYSIWIG, at least when it comes to weapons and shields.

#5 ·
As far as I know, when you buy a weapon it doesn't replace or upgrade anything unless specifically mentioned in the book. So if you happen to buy your warriors shields as well as halbards it's perfectly legal. Otherwise just let your opponents know as per mentioned before me.

#6 · (Edited)
Myself, I'm pretty anal when it come to WYSIWYG on my own models. With my great weapon warriors and halberd chosen, I intend to add their shields, likely strapped to their backs. Most people don't bother, but I'm a little OCD when it comes to that sort of thing ... though I tend to let the hand weapon thing slide. Everyone is assumed to have 'em.

#7 ·
Frankly, a plate-armored gauntlet would classify as a hand weapon.

So if you think that way, your unit is entirely WYSIWYG.

They sling their Halberds over their back, pick up a shield, and punch the daylights out of whatever they're fighting.

Chaos is spiky enough.

#8 ·
If you can it might be worth "extending" the hilt of the hand weapon with some plasticard tubing. It doesn't really matter what shape the blade of the halberd is, as long as it looks like it would take 2 hands to wield it properly...
All you need to do is add under the weapon hand and have it reach the ground.

#11 ·
Rorg has it...........er i mean Beardy Weirdy. you can never have enough spikes.
When i'm fighting elves i make a point of my lord sheathing his weapon and using his fists just because he can.
I'm with Dfred, i'm a wysiwyg freak, if they have it then it's on the model, hand weapons, halberds anything. But in game terms i really don't care what the enemy models look like as long as i know what i'm fighting.

On a side note, you could always count thier 'halberds' as Ensorcelled weapons. Does anyone else HATE that word? Ensorcelled? Thats a rubbish word.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.