does this sound right - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does this sound right

I am looking at making a lord character and was wondering if I am doing this right?

Chaos lord
    Mark of Tzeentch (6+ ward save)
    barded steed (+2 to save)
    shield (+1 save)
    talisman of protection (6+ ward save)
    Armour of morrslieb (4+ ward save against non-magical items)
    crown of everlasting conquest (regeneration)

This would give you a
    1+ save against shooting or 2+ save in combat
    4+ regen save
    2+ ward save against non-magical items (armour of morrslieb 4+, MOT +1, talisman of protection +1) or 5+ ward save against magical items

This guy (or girl) would be able to take some serious punishment but dish out a little better than a regular hero. So is this right?

I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The talisman of protection wouldn't stack with the Armour of Morrsleib. The only "ward stacking" there is in the game is the MoT. All other Wards are self contained and can't be improved or used to improve another ward save. He would have the following:

3+ Ward against non-magical attacks
    5+ward against everything else
    1+ Armoursave
    4+ regen

I will say that this guy is ridiculously hard to kill. Other than the above, he looks great!
    No, I don't have any wool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Are you giving him a flail or halberd? Otherwise he would have a 1+ save vs shooting AND in combat. Verc is right about the ward being 3+/5+.

Here's the changes I would make for maximum efficiency. Get rid of the talisman of protection and the armor of morrslieb. You have a pretty nasty armor save, and anything that negates that is probably magical anyway (and would hence drop your morrslieb save). Pick up the collar of Khorne, which not only gives you the 6+ ward save of the talisman, but for another few points also gives you MR(2), which you will desperately want to fill up the last remaining chink in your defense (spells, like no armour save flaming attacks, or ones that are pass a test or die). This will still give you a 5+ ward vs all.

I would also switch out the steed for a disc. If this hero is THAT resilient, your enemy probably isn't really even going to waste stuff trying to kill him. He will just march block and avoid him. With a flying mount, you will be able to get everywhere you need to be, allowing your leadership where it is needed, and making charges on things you want dead.

With the points left over from getting rid of morrslieb, you could either pick up the golden eye of tzeentch, which will give you a 3+ ward total vs shooting, which will help a bunch vs all shooting but cannonballings and other warmachines especially. You could get the necrotic phylactery to prevent those characteristics test issues, if you expect several black pits coming at you, or the like. OR, if you expect some nasty monsters on the table, the Glaive of Putrefaction would probably be a good choice, as this hero will already make a great monster hunter due to his extreme durability.

Now, if you're already going all out with the lord and his mount and items and such, I don't see any reason why not to throw a few points of gifts on him. The word of agony can be a great boon in a mage or hero hunt. This could come in particularly handy, since you have the flying ability to get where you need to be. Soporofic musk makes him an even better flanking candidate.

Also, don't completely overlook Bloodcurdling Roar. Although this ability is limited in use, it gives 2d6 S1 no AS. This means you will get, on average, 7 hits, which against T3 will equate to 6's. Most knights are 1+ish armor saves with T3. If you can kill one knight with this skill, it has most likely already made more than it's points back. It may come in very handy since this lord will have much greater mobility than the rest of your force, and may be march blocking, setting up flanks, and generally dodging around the enemy while the rest of your force arrives. This means a shooting attack can be invaluable for that turn or two you are just setting up.

edit: not sure if I mentioned that you could also do enchanted shield for the 1+ AS on the disc, but it hardly seems worth it, given your other options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Illegal combos I'm afraid: collar of khorne, golden eye of tzeentch, talisman of protection AND crown of everlasting conquest are all talismans, so you can only take 1 of them .
    If only crown of everlasting conquest was an enchanted item

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Ah lame, good catch, didn't have the book on me and was just getting overexcited I guess. Still, it doesn't negate everything about it. Most of what I've said still stands, just can't do them ALL at once. Personally, given the choice, I would consider keeping MoT + collar of khorne + disc and then tagging on others as necessary. Collar + MoT covers magic attacks + gives a 5+ general ward. You could tag the armor of morrslieb back on to give a 3+ vs normal shooting, and keep a shield, which would still give you a 2+ AS.

On top of that, death's head could help in the same way that bloodcurdling roar does. Or, instead of that, you could add in a magic weapon, maybe the filth mace, to cause some trouble with flying terror.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

personally I think you've over done it. MoN makes the enemy hit you on 5's usually which is more protection than you need. Get a decent ward/regen and armor and spend the rest of the points on troops or other magic items. I have yet to see a lord character that did something that a hero character couldn't do for cheaper unless you go the magic route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Well MoN takes away the disc which takes away all the flexibility I was talking about, and then obviously you wouldn't need the items as much, because you would probably want him in a unit. I also believe the point was, sort of, to "overdo it" and make a character as resilient as possible.

With the lord you can get flying, a good save versus shooting AND magic resistance, and still have points for a minor weapon. Sure it doesn't make him invincible, nor does it make him able to perform miracles where heroes can't. What it does give you is a versatile character that can be given an extremely solid defense along with a solid offense, with extreme maneuverability (otherwise lacking in the list). He is perfect for bouncing between marchblocking, hunting wizards/warmachines, and getting back to the battle line to provide leadership 9 and/or extra CR.

A hero can do it cheaper, but he's obviously not going to do it as well. The points also might be better spent somewhere else, but I'm looking at it from the more casual perspective, preferring to try some crazy things that sound interesting from time to time, rather than going for a specific build which will net the most wins. Yes I was and still am going for an extreme in the character build, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm interested in making the best possible army.

Again, no idea what the original poster's intent was, so I don't think there's any harm in presenting both arguments.

+ Reply to Thread