WYSIWYG and Marks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WYSIWYG and Marks?

Hey everybody. With my WoC army building slowly and my desire to paint growing rapidly, I've been coming up with mental army lists at a crazy rate. However, with a limited budget and a desire to paint only so many models, I've been siding with the practical argument that I'm going to paint all of my models in a uniform color scheme, using banners to potentially distinguish marks from one unit to the next, so that between games my models can flexibly be used in different methods. Now, I know this wont upset the handful of people I tend to game with, but I'm curious to see other people's solutions to the same problem.

How do you distinguish your models with different marks? Do you paint models knowing that that particular model will be devoted to one of the chaos gods, or do you paint them relatively similarly and seperate them in other ways?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i do play all models under the same Colour as you, but im thinking of make them 4 difrent banners One for every god so me enemys can se by the mark on the banner what thay are .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

I have the same problem, and I think I'm going to have to make several different standard bearers carrying different standards. Buy bitz from an online bitz-shop. The Chaos Space Marines has very good God specific icons to be used.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

This had occurred to me as well, making several standard bearers to represent the different marks and magical standards. However, if only because I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to painting, I may end up painting the models themselves in the tradition of the mark I intend to field them with (variety will keep me interested). I realize this will restrict my lists down the road, limiting me to the mark represented by the WYSIWYG color scheme, but I'm almost certain I will go this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

marks are not required to be shown on the model as fas as tournaments go, they do however have to be told to your opponent before the game starts so he knows what he's up agains't.
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Is it the same with magic items? Do I have to tell my opponent how my guys are geared before the game starts?
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

I believe you need only tell you opponent (for instance) hand weapon and shield. You need not stipulate whether or not said items are magical. At least, that's how we play it in our local tourneys.

I would paint my Nurgle marked warriors with green, rust, etc. But that's just me. They are forever branded as Nurgle Warriors w/ Halberds. But I love the look of a Chaos army painted to represent the Four.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I don't think i've read anywhere where it says magic weapons have to be wysiwyg,
    An axe of Khorne could be a Sword at the end of the day. Sword of Might?? that could be a hammer.

Just as long as they have something that they can say is that weapon. So saying he has an enchanted shield whilst not having a shield on the model is a no go.
    Saying he's got a hand weapon and shield whilst he's got a great weapon. hmmm No.

@Mr Wayne. No you don't have to tell them how your models are equiped. Otherwise there wouldn't be any need for items that "make your oponent reveal all the magic items in that unit"
    I would however say, due to wysiwyg if a model has/hasn't got something that isn't/is on the model you should let your oponent know. So having a unit of warriors painted as Khorne with a full command while on your list they are normal warriors with nothing you should let him/her know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My entire army has a scheme, and that is black and silver. However, the 2 warrior squads that are MoS have half their helm and half their shield a deep blue. The MoK squad has the half helm and half shield in red. My knights are the same, with Nurgle getting the half in brown and the MoT unit getting it in purple. A common scheme for the army, but each Mark is represented.
    Stormcrows Chapter of the Space Marines
    Praemonitus praemunitus
    Enemy: W/L/D
    IG: 2/0/0
    Tyranids: 1/1/1
    Chaos: 4/0/1
    DH: 3/1/1
    SW: 0/1/0
    SM: 1/0/0
    Orcs: 1/0/0
    Necron: 2/2/0
    Total: 14/5/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some neat ideas!

If you're worried about painting a unit with abit of one color, when next game you know you're going to want him another it may be a problem. If you use standard bearers in your army and are into conversions you could maybe use something like tooth floss, paint it whatever color (can you paint floss? >.>) and then attach it to some symbol you've either purchased or made and drape it over the standard. I suppose you could do this without paying for the standard bearer, just let the opponent know? It would be abit more work but you could even use another model's torso and some greenstuff so it looks like a decapitated body is being held up by the flag bearer with the symbol of a god in it. You'd probably want to weight the bottom of the base though.

Ofcourse, all this may be more work then you care to undertake (especially if you can't actually paint floss). In that case if you have a few extra warriors at all you could paint them in your main colors, but do the half mask or different armour, or different shoulder pades (something to show the color of their god) and have them in the unit instead of your regular champion, so it gives the appearance that the unit is being led by a champion or atleast notable model of your chosen god.

I hope that wasn't complicated and weird.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast