When To Mark - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When To Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When To Mark

Hey there,

As I get ready to start work on my Warriors of Chaos army I'm trying to decide whether to theme it towards one god or not. I was deadlocked between Tzeentch and Nurgle, but I think as I haven't seen many armies themed as the latter that I will go with Nurgle.

My main problem is that as I write my army list up I'm seeing a much smaller list as a Nurgle theme then as an unmarked army. The army I'm going for will start at 1000 points. If so, what would be the ideal point limit to start this? As it is I have three units and one character marked with Nurgle, which brings that point cost to around 120 or so, but will hopefully keep them around abit longer. Is this points limit too small to begin worrying about marking? If so, what would be the ideal point limit to start this?

For someone as indecisive as me this whole decision making process of an army can be rather difficult! I'm mostly worried since I don't want to start painting up my units with a Nurgle theme to find that its a fool's quest, while on the other hand I do want a cohesive looking army. :/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Well I am not very experienced but in my opinion it depends on what you want. I think for an optimal strategic army its best to mix gods so you can put different marks on different units to fill specific roles. Also there are times to maximize a list to keep a unit unmarked.

If you really like theming tho I would say go for it tho. Keeping a themed army can be a lot of fun if its what you want. This probably isnt the most helpful advise but when starting an army you need to look at what you want.

Like I personally dont really like maraduers so i dont include them in my list. I like the warrior models so i concentrate on those units a lot. A themed army can be strong too in my opinion, it just depends on what you want and how badly you want it to work. I personally think a nurgle themed painted army would look really cool and fun to paint. Playing the game is just one aspect of the game. Modeling is a much larger part so you should make sure you enjoy that part of it. Thats my little bit for helping you out. Hope it was inciteful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there,

I think you're right in that since I'm pretty adamant on having a themed army I should just go for it. I think what I'll do is paint the Nurgle theme and go with it, and then use something to distinguish truly favored units (ones I've given the Mark of Nurgle) from the not so favoured (those with no marks). This way I can still have a themed army, but without the need to keep everything marked for games when I want more troops available. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this if I decide to add other gods to the mix, but I suppose I can either break the theme by adding some purple and gold painted Tzeentchian warriors for games when I want them, or keep the same colour scheme but add something clearly Slaaneshi to the unit, like a flag or specially painted command group of some sort.

Thanks for the advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You and I are in the same boat, being undecisive about marks. I really like the nurgle theme and want to base an army around nurgle. Which has its ups and downs. On one side you have an army that is harder to hit (-1 to shooting and -1 to hitting) which in my opinion is better than a 6+ ward save. Sure there is the chance of getting a 6 once in a while but when regular opponents play high elves (which always strikes first) I feel the -1 to hit me outways the ward save. Then I can hit back withsome serious hardware. I really love the marauder models more than the warrior models. Warrior models are so static and one dimensional (put one arm here and one arm there pretty static look) while marauders can be posed to have different looks. One arm over head while the other guy has his weapon low. True it is harder to paint flesh than armour but boy a unit that is not all in the same position looks better. My theme is going to start out nurgle and then when I get into higher points games I will add more marks as I see my leader conquering oter units with different marks and having them fight for him or just other units joining him out of rep. Good luck.
    I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't forget that it's actually against our armies fluff to have and entire army devoted to only ONE of the 4 ancient gods of the north, it's more common to see single lords or heroes devoted to a single patron deity once they achieve a certain level of recognition, however it's more likely to see all 4 of the gods worshiped as a pantheon, more like the ancient greeks and their gods, yes it will look very cool to have a themed army, but you're leaving yourself open to being stuck into a "one tactic" army.

my solution:

I've painted my units according to the marks I typically use them with.

my warriors with the extra hand weapons? khorne

my knights with lances and a greenstuff-tentacled banner? tzeentch

don't block yourself into a certain way of playing your army, your risking getting bored with the playstyle and switching armies when the tactic you use stops working for a few games.

do as the lord of change would and simply, switch it up!

good luck!
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

In line with what Hurtinator has said, just look at Archaon. He's the pinnacle of Chaos Lords, blessed by all four Gods. Shy of Daemonhood, that's what every pre-teen wannabe Marauder huddling around the campfire dreams about, and the new WoC fluff supports it. Don't feel hand-cuffed by the old fluff.

However, a fully themed, cohesive army dedicated to one God would look BOSS on the gaming table. So go for it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Now when the Mark of Chaos Undivided is gone, there isn't much room fluff-wise not to take any marks. Also, the boosts are soo good that it's totally worth it to take marks.

Let's not forget that the Gods themselves are rivals in their own games, and their armies and champions do their bidding. So I find it hard to imagine an army with lot's of differently marked champions with the same status. A Lord of Slaanesh probably wont find an Exalted Champion of Khorne a threat, but two Sorcerer Lords with the Mark of Tzeentch and Nurgle respectively will probably kill eachother first chanse they get.
    Only Lords with the Mark of Chaos Undivided can bind the different Gods together, because they doesnt serve the purposes of one God specifically.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

Mono god armies are a lot more fun to play with I will admit but tactically I find the opportunity to mix and match the marks presents a lot more flexibility.

JvK
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    Only Lords with the Mark of Chaos Undivided can bind the different Gods together, because they doesnt serve the purposes of one God specifically.
    I find it interesting, this potential schism between pre-7th edition WoC players and the new players, such as myself. With only the 7th ed. WoC book to consider, having never read any of the Black Library novels and such, my interpretation is somewhat different.

The way I see it, there is no longer a mark of Chaos Undivided because, as a whole, Chaos itself is no longer divided. Sure, there are four Gods with four very different methodologies, but they still share a common goal: the total destruction of the Order and the proliferation of Chaos across the known Warhammer world. Ultimately, this trumps any dogmatic conflicts. Personally, I do not see an un-marked character and think of him as "Undivided". I simply see him as un-marked, a man who has yet to garner the attention of a specific deity.

The Ballad of Khalac Swordsson (page 15) really speaks to me. All four Gods whispering to this one man, leading him to acts of savagery and inhumanity in their name, each in their own way. Sure, maybe they were competing for his soul and his unwavering allegiance, but in the end, all that matters is that he cut a ragged swath of destruction through the lands of the south in the name of Chaos. And lest we forget Archaon, the poster boy for Chaos undivided, marked by all four. He was once the exception to the rule. He's now the ultimate poster boy for what one man can accomplish, serving the Four in equal measure.

Seems to me that, with the fluff redefined, the old intolerances are no longer the rule. Sure, I'm certain it remains: the petty jealousies, the infighting, all the intrigue that comes when Four independant beings attempt to exert their will, each vying to play puppetmaster in their own, unique way. However, in my opinion, when it comes to the common goal, the forces of Chaos stand shoulder to shoulder, no longer individuals, no longer the close-minded patrons of Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle and Tzeentch, but a united force, the scions of Chaos undivided against all that is good and holy.
    Last edited by Dfred; January 19th, 2009 at 00:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

It is true that Chaos seeks to unify under one Champion. But very few are strong enough to become the Everchosen. In the Khalak story it ends with Khalak himself perishing under the stress of the attention of the four. Archaon, however, is strong enough to hold the gifts bestowed upon him. But men like him are very hard to find. In the meantime the different Gods seek to improve their standing in the pantheon of chaos and they do that by making their champions kill other champions.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast