Ogres an efficient anvil unit? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogres an efficient anvil unit?

as title states, I'm thinking about using a unit of 6 chaos ogres as an anvil unit for my knights to flank against, as they can soak decent damage, mark them as nurgle, they move quite fast and are visually intimidating to enemy players who might throw more at them then is required, freeing up other units of mine to get into better positions.

I know the current argument is that trolls are better, but I'm trying to find a use for every unit in our army book, as I recently purchased a box of ogre bulls and converted them to chaos ogres b/c I like the models better(used marauder shields for their gutstraps instead of the ones that come in the box, they fit perfectly!!)

Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's my go at a list including the above:

Chaos Sorcerer (210 )
    -level 2
    -mark of tzeentch
    -disc of tzeentch
    -power familiar
    -dispell scroll

Exalted Hero (189)
    -mark of nurgle
    -BSB
    -collar of khorne
    -flail
    -shield

Exalted Hero (225)
    -Mark of Khorne
    -juggernaught
    -axe of khorne
    -shield
    -Favour of the Gods

Warriors of Chaos(15) (355)
    -mark of nurgle
    -shields
    -great weapons
    -full command
    -festering shroud

Marauder Horsemen(5) (111)
    -mark of khorne
    -flails
    -musician

Marauders(20 ) 80
    (150 )
    -mark of slaanesh
    -light armor
    -shields
    -full command

Chaos Ogres(6) (350 )
    -
    mark of nurgle
    -great weapons
    -chaos armor
    -mutant ogre

Chaos Knights(5) (290 )
    -mark of nurgle
    -standard bearer
    -blasted standard

Chaos Warshrine130 (140 )
    -mark of slaanesh

2000/2000 points

juggernaught goes with knights, BSB goes into unit of warriors both have MR to provide for the units they join, sorcerer will provide magic defense and toss flickering fire here and there. what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Hurtinator; February 1st, 2009 at 22:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

I think Ogres will work as anvils against certain targets, mainly those with low static res. When it come to anvils though, I 'm not sure Chaos has a huge amount, the most common being Marauder blocks with the Banner of the Gods.

There's no issue finding a use for Ogres - great flankers, and they tough, cheap and hit hard.

As for your list, well, it really should be in the army list section, but I'll have a crack at it.

You shouldn't really bother with that Sorcerer going on the offensive, just a waste of points for the odd flickering fire. Just use a scroll caddy.

That guy on a Jugger needs to be inside a frenzied unit, too. If you don't charge, and you're hero is slightly in range, he leaps out. It may also force you to declare a charge when it's tight, just in case, and if you pull up short, it's a wasted turn. Frenzied characters should always be in frenzied units.

And the BSB isn't mounted? You're asking for him to get killed. A Steed doesn't hurt his flail, he still joins any unit he likes and it improves his save.

If anything's an anvil in this list, it's those Warriors, not the Ogres! Split the Ogre up into 2 units of 3, and try and flank with them. You can always use them as bait, since there's no hounds here at all, but they have a chance to rally. Get a Muso on the Ogres, not a Champion. You want to chopping up rank and file, not getting stuck in challenges (that Warshrine MAKES your champions challenge)

It looks pretty good, but you can't do a thing against big scary targets. I see a lot of Chaos lists that have no protection from monsters, and if you're against a Dragon, it's going to be a long game....even a single Hellcannon gives you a chance, and he's a beast in combat...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I think you'd have better luck running the ogres in 2 units of 3 and trying to hit the flanks with them. One of the problems that WoC have is getting to the enemy intact. I'd try to squeeze in a unit of regular fast cav with MoS and maybe some hounds.

To me, anvil means something that can be hit, and it doesn't move, allowing the hammers to come down and enclose around the enemy. Ogres are not an anvil unit. If a decent something charges them, they'll flee, just like any other unit. Their leadership is poor, and they have no ranks. Chaos armor and T4 does protect them better, but a cav charge will route them. Your warriors and maruaders (if they were a little bit bigger) could act as anvils, the knights and ogres as the hammers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only issue there being I'm already short on points and to mark/equip a second unit of 3 ogres is way over my points limit. I think I'm going to bring it down to 3 ogres and use them to flank with the marauders while the knights flank with the warriors. new list will be put into the army list section, this site is giving me all kinds of weird errors though and it won't let me post in that forum at the moment.

so so far we have;

-change sorcerer to level 1 nurgle scroll caddy

-reduce ogres to 3

might increase the marauder unit to 25 or add two units of 5 hounds to bait charges. we'll see. also might change the exalted hero on juggernaught to a lord. with a deamonsword and pendant of slaanesh, that combo is godly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I have to ask

I have to ask, why is it godly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think about it, the draw back to the deamon sword is you risk hitting yourself on any 1's you roll to-hit, pendant of slaanesh gives you an extra attack for every wound you suffer, so on the off chance that you do wound yourself with your own sword, the next combat round you'll gain and extra attack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

I think I'd rather keep the possibility of getting wounded out of the equation.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I agree with Pinkus. I'd rather stay alive lol. Plus the maximum number of attacks is 10 anyway. The lord has 5, 6 with frenzy. If he gets wounded thats 7. If you roll a 5 for your attacks you're not getting 2 of those

I Found a Wizard Lord with the Collar of Khorne MK Tzeentch and a deamon sword was quite a nasty suprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooh that sounds fun

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast