Hellcannon uses - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hellcannon uses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hellcannon uses

So, I've been considering using a Hellcannon, but I'm wondering: is it worth it? I have about 1,000 points worth of Chaos at various stages of completion, basically the Battallion with an extra box of Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, a Sorcerer and an Exalted hero. I'll probably be adding a Sorcerer Lord and unit of Chosen (Not TOO sure on the chosen, maybe just more Warriors would do, advice?). Is the Hellcannon really worth its relatively high point cost, or would something like a Chariot, Giant or unit of Trolls serve me better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of people will probably tell you that the hellcannon isn't worth it and suggest you take a warshrine or even a giant instead... The general argument I hear is that it is a little expensive for something that could be completely unreliable.

However, I love them. I rarely see anything bad happen to them, and all to often I see how devastating they can be. If nothing else, just having one could make a lot of armies freak out and focus much more on the hellcannon than they otherwise might, and against high model count armies it can be invaluable for the template and panic tests, let alone that it causes Terror or that it can shred most things to bits in hand to hand should it end up there... and it takes an average of 2 cannonballs to destroy. I'd say thats worth the points, even if it is shooting in a chaos army. (I can hear people crying out "Heretic!" right now).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another forum site, there's a guy who ran a duo Hellcannon list. What I can say is, don't rely on them to shoot accurately, but they can be deadly on the charge and can hold out pretty good in close combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Meneptolemus View Post

However, I love them. I rarely see anything bad happen to them, and all to often I see how devastating they can be. If nothing else, just having one could make a lot of armies freak out and focus much more on the hellcannon than they otherwise might, and against high model count armies it can be invaluable for the template and panic tests, let alone that it causes Terror or that it can shred most things to bits in hand to hand should it end up there... and it takes an average of 2 cannonballs to destroy. I'd say thats worth the points, even if it is shooting in a chaos army. (I can hear people crying out "Heretic!" right now).
    Heretic!

But to be honest I need to agree with above heretic. If it DOES work the way it should(n't?) work it can be devistating against horde armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main opponents are Skaven and DE. I'm pretty sure the Hellcannon could decimate Skaven just due to the massive amount of models grouped in one place and their relatively weak leadership when out of reach of the general. Dark Elves would be very vulnerable due to their squishy T3. I also like the idea of a giant pacman running down the board chomping things after breaking free! Any advice on Chosen btw? Just thought I'd try to get it in this thread too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't buy them, they aren't worth the points they cost as they are basicly a unit of warriors with great weapons with ws6 maybe if you whr playing 3k point games, but other then that nt it's not worth it.
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Well I havnt used chosen yet but they seem like a fun unit. I think it would be good giving the champion Fotg and giving em a warshrine. Two rolls on the gods list with being able to manipulate both rolls is pretty badass imo. They may be a little too elite against some armies. It might be better going with more marauders and just using warriors if you really dont need that strong a unit but I think they look cool and would be fun to paint and field as a stand out unit.

If your planning on getting a lot of models and modifying your list to your oponent I think they are definitly worth grabbing. It would take some luck but I just imagine having a unit of em getting the toughness and ward bonuses. A T5 unit thats stuborn with a 4+ ward save.../drool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

I love the Hellcannon.

True, it's the same points as a unit of Warriors with great weapons, but I'm sure you already have plenty of M4 footslogging badassedness on the table for the enemy to dance around. Give him something else to worry about.

It's unbreakable. It causes Terror. It can negate ranks. It has a sick statline in combat. It's a Str5 stone thrower that causes an instant -1 panic test to anything the template touches (doesn't even need to wound). Even if the damn thing goes off the rails, it'll still be trying to kill stuff (and will, if it makes it into combat). It usually scares the pants off the enemy. Plus, it's fun, you actually get to do something during the shooting phase!

I love the Hellcannon.

Quote Originally Posted by sdefreit View Post
    If your planning on getting a lot of models and modifying your list to your oponent I think they are definitly worth grabbing. It would take some luck but I just imagine having a unit of em getting the toughness and ward bonuses. A T5 unit thats stuborn with a 4+ ward save.../drool
    ... and stubborn. =)
    Last edited by Dfred; February 10th, 2009 at 19:57.
    The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, I also meant to ask: Can the Hellcannon move and shoot? Because then it could be a kind of rear guard in that it can crawl along slowly to protect your units from fast things too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a War Machine, the Hell cannon is not allowed to move (BRB85) if it or any of its crew move more than pivoting to face (which it can do freely during the shooting phase).... so while it could function as a rear guard, it isn't going to be shooting while it does so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast