Organizing Warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Organizing Warriors

Hey I was wondering whats the best way to rank up a warrior unit. I thought units of 15 with 5 wide and 3 ranks would be good because you should get 1 point for combat res to help but is it better to use units of 12 with 6 across and 2 rows? This is less models but could save me points for elsewhere and will get more attacks in on the front line.

Is going my original 15 man unit setup a waste of points. With the topics of discussion that have been going on I'm thinking of changing my all-comers list to two units of 12 (rather than 15) to save points and try to get a hellcannon in.

Any thoughts/opinions on this would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Well, the extra two attacks each turn from going six wide can mean a lot. They get more combat res from kills than ranks anyhow.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends who you're fighting. The more fragile the army - the more important those extra attacks would be. If, on the other hand you're fighting dwarfs/saurus heavy lizardmen, those extra 2 attacks are only going to kill 1/3 of a guy (not counting elites). On the other hand, those same 2 attacks would kill 8/9 of a empire trooper (sans swordsman) or even 5/9 of a WS 5-6 elf (not counting phoniex guard).

Note: these numbers assume sword/shield combo - the more powerful your offense the higher the kill count (duh!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Aight so dropping down to units of 12 (6 across 2 ranks) would be better or just as good in many cases? Because dropping both of my units to 12 will save me 102 pts and that can be well put to something else

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

I think you answered yourself. They are so close to being the same, that saving 100+ may tip the balance.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

It really depends. Are you up against squishy armies or high armor save, high toughness opponents? If they're squishy, more attacks is gravy. If you're unlikely to garner any additional CR from the extra 2 attacks because your foe is tough as nails, maybe the extra rank would be more beneficial. It's totally situational. Personally, I'd drop them to 12, spend the 102 point and see how you fare. If you feel that the points are better spent on the additional rank, you know where to find them ...
    The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Ya it probably is situational. The 100 points can most likely be spent somewhere else. Ill get a better feel for it when I start playing and whatnot. Its nice having like 3-4k points of models and being able to tailor your list to what your playing against. Thats how I used to play with my space marines back when I played 40k.

But thanks for the replies guys. Big help

+ Reply to Thread