New to Fantasy - WoC, Orcs, or VC? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Fantasy - WoC, Orcs, or VC?

Looking at the various models available to the races, I'm particularly attracted to the night goblins, and the warriors of chaos models. From an overall lore perspective, I have always been a fan of vampires.

I have picked up the Battle for Skull pass starter set so far. If I were to aim towards building an army of around 2,000 points which would be cheaper overall ($ wise) to build, considering I already have some goblins from Skull Pass? In addition, which army do you guys generally find more enjoyable to paint, and to plwy with?

From what I have read so far, it seems like Chaos is a very strong army, but I'm not sure how tactically diverse it is - it just seems like a march forward and hulk smash type of army to me (I could be way off, I really don't know). As such, Warriors of Chaos seems pretty simple tactically, but they do seem fairly easy and fun to paint.

Orcs & Goblins are typically a horde type of army, and rely on their ranks and numbers to win combat resolution. Given large unit sizes of goblin armies, does it make it that much harder to move them across the field in a tactical manner, especially considering the randomness of animosity?

Lastly, Vampire counts also seem likely another horde type of army, and most of their magic seems to be single-mindedly focused on raising up more skeletons and ghouls. Lastly, the vampire counts look like their models would be the least fun to paint.

At the Games Workshop store nearby where I would typically play, the top played army is the Dark Elves, and there seems to be a decent balance of the rest of the armies, with nobody playing Orcs & Goblins at the moment.

I guess in the end, what I'm asking is out of these three, which do you think I would have the most fun overall with? Painting and gaming are both part of the hobby, and I guess it'd be helpful to look at the pros and cons of both aspects. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

O&G are probably the cheapest army you can get, just get a few BFSP sets and add in some other units here and there. Also, they're probably the least competitive. However, I always have fun with them. Just be ready to paint a TON of models.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

More fun to play with? Probably Orcs and goblins. Not that i don't have fun with my WArriros army but i know i'd have a laugh with an orc army even if i lost horribly. As for conversions.... Chaos and Orcs are on a square footing i think. Orcs can have mad fun conversions where as chaos anything goes so your imagination really is your limit.

As for money wise,
    Yeah skull pass is an awesome set. even if you bin the dwarves you're making a killing. 2 Skull passes, a few boxes of Fanatics, Bolt throwers, charriots and a giant or two and you're set.

But then a Chaos batalion box and then a exalted hero is about 1000 points. If you buy an empire wizard box thats 2 sorcerers which can be up to 400points for the pair and then something nasty for the other 600 points.

As for undead. Conversion wise you can do some crazy things in there, your character models are awesome. But the basic infantry is pretty boring as you said, the monotomy of painting skeletons ~snore~ Plus you'll have to paint alot more models than you feild because you'll be raising up units!!! However ruleswise, Undead are pretty nasty. I think they're pretty good if you're getting started as you wont need to bother about your troops running away, panic etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

It is all up to you but I think

1. Warriors or chaos have the most types of army build possibly that can win. fast, infantry monsters,super magic, Iron clad etc

2.orcs and Goblins are the craziest and are always a laugh and have great conversion potential.

3. Vampires have great magic and the best knights in the game (or at least the most destructive) although they cost 80 Euro but skellies are a bit boring to paint.

Its all down to what you look for in an army.
    Last edited by goliath; February 11th, 2009 at 20:33.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

When I first started in Warhammer (9 years ago) I chose Tomb Kings as my army because I, from a pure gameplay/winning perspective, liked their ruleset.

However, I hated the majority of their models. The TK skeletons are terrible, painting them is like dropping a cinder block on your nutsack. In my opinion, you absolutely must like the models you intend to assemble and paint. I mean, it depends what type of player you are ... but generally, choose the army you like both from a fluff and model perspective. Otherwise, you will be sorry. Believe me.

In terms of sheer competitiveness (ignoring my previous paragraph), VC are the current top pick. Their rules are just grievous. Chaos come in (a close) second, O&G third. Many players consider O&G a "bottom tier" army. Not sure if I completely agree, but they're definitely victims of the power creep. That said, O&G are hella fun to play.

Chaos is the way to go if you want fewer models. 1000 points of Chaos is a tiny handful of minis compared to 1000 points of O&G or zombie heavy VC.

Tactically, WoC look like a one trick pony on paper. "Hulk smash!" as you say. However, once you begin to appreciate the subtleties of the list, you start to see potential elsewhere. A pure footslogger army will get mauled if not properly constructed. WoC players need a careful balance of anvils, hammers, magic and maneuverability. Otherwise, the army becomes extremely easy to predict and outplay. Bring something to the table other than serried ranks of Chaos Warriors and your opponent won't know what to think. Like goliath said: Pure cav, monster madness, magic heavy, dozens of combinations in between. It's all good, all feasible.

You say DE are the top-played army in your neck of the woods? You might be dealing with a gaggle of competitive gamers, as DE are considered to be one of the top 3 uber armies at the moment (alongside VC and the dread Daemons of Chaos). Something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by Dfred; February 12th, 2009 at 00:09.
    The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Ya Dfred is completely right.You have to pick an army you like to paint, model and field or it will not be fun. Hell the reason I'm starting fantasy right now is because I saw a unit of well painted warriors in my old stores display case. That was back when I played 40k too. I absolutely love the models for WoC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many tricks army

It's true that at the core of many armies will be solid blocks of soldiers on foot. But that, to me, is why it's so interesting! You have to really build your army in order to be able to lure/force the enemy into your ranks.

I used to play 40k when i was younger (I played Imp. Guard back in the 2ND edition of it ). I loved every second of it. And now I'm more into Fantasy simply because it's a more mature, tactical game. At the core of the game is the way you move your units and equip them. So even if it seems pretty straightforward, well, it's not .

BTW, if any of you remember the old Attila roughriders from the Imperial Guard army in 40k, well they look JUST like marauder horsemen, i think they're even prettier. Hehe, that's one less unit to paint.

As for the price thing, O&G will cost about the same amount as WoC. One of my friends get night goblins by the TON on ebay for next to nothing because of skull pass. For WoC, well one box of Chaos warriors (30$) will end up worthing near 250-300 pts, and a 25$ knight box will be... 300-350 pts (that is the best news for my wallet in a while). Add marauders (30$) and 2 characters (15$), and you got 1000 pts for 100$. It's nothing less than spectacular!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coorran View Post
    For WoC, well one box of Chaos warriors (30$) will end up worthing near 250-300 pts, and a 25$ knight box will be... 300-350 pts (that is the best news for my wallet in a while). Add marauders (30$) and 2 characters (15$), and you got 1000 pts for 100$. It's nothing less than spectacular!
    Or buy the battalion box ($90) and two characters ($15). This way you're paying $5 more for getting an equivalent of a box of warhounds ($25) AND 4 extra Marauder models. You'll need warhounds in any WoC army. Their sole purpose is to die so that your army can move along and crush the enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

expect to lose alot of games as a new fantasy player, and play against opponents who help teach you how to avoid traps and how to set up pincer moves and stuff, it's what I found helpful to remember is view each game you play as a learning experience and dont get too bummed out if you lose 5 games in a row, sometimes you just can't win!
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

+ Reply to Thread