Chaos Ogres or Chaos Knights? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Ogres or Chaos Knights?

After playing around with lists, I am starting to wonder how viable a substitution 4 Chaos Ogres is in place of the 5 Chaos knights on many lists. Almost every Calvary list I have seen runs at least 2 units of 5 knights, heck almost every WoC list I have seen no matter the set up runs the 2 units of 5 knights.

The point cost is -basically- identical, however, to get 4 tooled up Chaos ogres.

In essence, it seems you lose 1 Movement, 2 on the armor save, 2 weapon skill and initiative for 7 extra wounds, and 1 higher STR on attacks. (Assuming Chaos Armor and Great Weapons on the Ogres)

Lets say, for example, we run a core of 3 sets of 5 Marauder Horsemen. I am starting to come under the impression that 2 sets of 4 Ogres will round out the list a lot better than 2 sets of 5 knights (Mainly due to their ability to take a lick'n and keep on kick'n). What do you all think? Agree or disagree! And why?

Last edited by Garend; February 19th, 2009 at 21:37.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I did a thread on this a few days ago, you can find it here:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...s-knights.html (Ogres vs Knights)
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ho ho ho! So you did! Let me read it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I love playing WOC opponents who use Choas Knights. I just pelter them with arrows, and you just know they're going to role at least one '1'. After two turns of shooting, the knight units are seriously weakened. Then if they are Khorne Knights, which they quite often are, you can just bait them and counter charge due to the frenzy. Easiest points in the game.
    I have not played against Choas Orgres though...I would like to see how that runs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use pretty much all of the monsters in the warriors of chaos book and if i were to *replace* my chaos knights it would be with dragon ogres. Cool looking models in my opinion and they have 4 wounds 7 strength with great weapons a 4+ save and an 8 leadership for a bit more in points but if your looking for a change there ya go.

and another thing if you were to take Throgg in your army as well then the dragon ogres can re roll there break tests within 12 of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontron_nova View Post
    Personally I love playing WOC opponents who use Choas Knights. I just pelter them with arrows, and you just know they're going to role at least one '1'. After two turns of shooting, the knight units are seriously weakened. Then if they are Khorne Knights, which they quite often are, you can just bait them and counter charge due to the frenzy. Easiest points in the game.
    I have not played against Choas Orgres though...I would like to see how that runs!
    What do you do if there's a screen of warhounds in front of the knights?
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    What do you do if there's a screen of warhounds in front of the knights?
    Indeed....or if they have the mark of nurgle? Or the Blasted standard? Chaos Knights are far from the easiest points in the game, if played correctly.I'm not saying they're invincible, but pelting them with arrows? How about I pelt you with Gateway! Mwhahaha!

..joke BTW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by timk1111 View Post
    ... pelting them with arrows? How about I pelt you with Gateway! Mwhahaha!

..joke BTW
    Owned
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontron_nova View Post
    Seems to me either that your mates were playing it wrong, or you're damn lucky to spot weaknesses on their lines.

That said, with others had already said, Knights are NOT the easiest points from WoC.
    We have Marauders and Warhounds for that

@Garend:
    Seems to me you want to switch out Knights units entirely with Ogres. My opinion is: not advisable. You need the Knights to deliver solid blow and stand for a few combat rounds. Ogres (or other monster choices) are there, imo, as to complement the Knights. Either by acting as a fast anvil, or small flanker units (3 models a unit).
    Currently building my poor-hammer WoC army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_katZ View Post
    Seems to me either that your mates were playing it wrong, or you're damn lucky to spot weaknesses on their lines.
    I think a solid mix of both actually...

Gateway is crazy, I don't even want to talk about that.
    I've actually never faced Chaos Knights of Nurgle...I only ever come across Khorne or nothing. Maybe I should be recommending Nurgle to my local gamers!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast