What mark for what unit discussion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What mark for what unit discussion

After reading the WoC faq, I've been thinking of which units would be best suiting for which marks(unlike taking every unit with Nurgle like I had originally planned). I realize that it is going to vary depending on what army you are facing, but I'm thinking in general which marks would be best for each unit.

Here are my opinions, feel free to add some input:

hero/lord on mount or on foot- Nurgle.

sorcerers- nurgle. I've had better luck with the lore, and buboes is too good to pass up. I'm not impressed with the Lore of Tzeentch, although the +1 to casting is nice. I can only see taking it unless you have a level 3+ sorcerer.

Chaos Warriors- Nurgle. They generally have a mid to low model count, and the protection against shooting will help them with their low Mv rate. And with their high WS, it's usefu against plentiful WS 3 enemies.

Marauders- Slaanesh. The mark will help them out with their low Ld. Nurgle, which I had already planned on giving them, won't do much good in combat with their average WS.

Chaos Knights- I see Nurgle as the most viable option for them, coupled with the banner of rage if you have the points to spare

Chaos Ogres- khorne?

Take a look at my modeling, painting, and terrain blog
    The Iron Cage

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Actually, Nurgle on Marauders is quite nice. Since it's purely defensive (the -1 WS applies only when the enemy is attacking you), it allows Marauders to get stuck in with more elite troops (WS5), forcing them to hit on 4+ instead of 3+.
    The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you Nuclearfeet on a lot of your marks. I think the MoS on Marauders is good. It's cheap, just like them, and it lets you take a lot of them, and the others won't worry when they get shot to pieces. I take more marauder horsemen than actual marauders, but i like the MoS on both.

I play against a lot of shooty armies, so I take a heavily nurgle army usually. I like nurgle marks on warriors and knights definitely.

As far as sorcerers go, I usually take a Tzeentch and a Nurgle sorcerer. Tzeentch's flickering fire has been able to thin out ranks for me, and magnificent buboes is just a killer spell.

If I take a Chaos Lord or Exalted Hero I usually throw a MoN on them, again, just for the survivability.

I'm not a huge fan of MoK...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marks

For my BSB I usually use Tzeentch for the Disc option. The fact that you can combine the mark with other ward save is awesome.

Marauders Horsemen: Khorne, without a doubt (with flails).

Marauders: MoK (with flails or GW), or MoS.

Chaos Warriors/Chosen: All the marks can be worthwhile. MoT + Blasted Std, MoK+ Halberd/GW, Nurgle against shooty armies, Slannesh if nothing else is needed.

Knights: MoK (with screening Hounds) or MoT, for saving my expensive model once every 6 occasions. Since MoN no longer affects (or never affected) the enemy when WE strike them, it is now a little too expensive (unless playing against a VERY shooty army) since knights are almost always in CC in the second turn.

Characters. All the marks are worthwhile, it really depends on what you want to get (Lore of magic, Steed, role in the army). I'm still a little reticent to include characters on Mounts with the MoK, as the can be hard to control, even with screens.

+ Reply to Thread