need help fighting vamps!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need help fighting vamps!!!

after my next 40k battle i will be playing fantasy for my first time.i will be chaos vs vampire counts.i have no idea at all how vamps work and barely know how to play fantasy.but im learning .i just need some help for a list against vamps because.........
    i dont wanna die in the 2nd turn

help a newb!!!

Please use capital letters when posting as it makes posts much more readable. Thanks. ~DWC09

Last edited by DavidWC09; February 22nd, 2009 at 20:07.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Bring some good magic defence 2 level 1 wizards with a pair of scrolls each. Mabye put a character killing exhalted on a disk of tzeentch charge there general and thier dead. Dont use lore of slannesh. Watch out for blood knights. What is your general, if he is on a dragon or juggernot in a unit of nurgle knights he could take them. Also metal would mash blood and black knights. Remember he can keep on bringing his units back and even make more. Also slannesh your marauders. Good luck.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little advice

I've not played against VC yet, but I recommend that you take a sorcerer with Mark of Tzeentch and a Book of Secrets with the Lore of Fire. This will grant you 2 flaming attacks spells, which can't be regenerated. Take that, vampires!

Tak
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x2)

While Vampire lists can display a surprising amount of felxibility, there's two real "keystones" that the generals exploit and you should look to defend against them no matter what units you're expecting.

Supportative magic and reliance on psychology.

Magically, there's no possible way you can expect to match the VC's power dice with dispel dice nor will Magic Resistance help you in any way. You should be aiming to stop their castings of Danse, allowing Innovcations to go unchallenged so you can save dice and scrolls for the movement spells he'll be relying upon to get those flank charges.
    Also, consider taking the Black Tongue on a "cheap" hero level character and tag-team it with the Puppet. Vampires only tend to throw one dice at their raises which means a few things. You'll see a lot of spells get cast, 1/3 of his casts will fail and his Lord'll be miscast-proof. So take a Black Tongue to force one of the unsucessful casts into a miscast and hopefully you can use the puppet to persuade him to forget Innvocation or even better; get swallowed by a pan-dimensional demon.
    Or if you don't mind taking Special Characters; Villich's special rule is absolutely fantastic against the Innovacte spamming kind of list.

For the Psych; you can eithet make sure you outnumber his units (unfeasable) or pack as much protection against Fear as possible... which means Mark of Slaanesh your big choppy units so they won't run away if they fluff up their rolls.

Also, I'd advocate Dragon Ogres with extra handweapons. As a rule of thumb, you want to make sure you only charge units you can smash apart in one round or if entering into the combat will somehow allow you route to his general. Dragon Ogres are fear causers which negates the VC's big trump card and can throw out a disgusting number of high strength attacks.

Mabye put a character killing exhalted on a disk of tzeentch charge there general and thier dead.
    I'd have to strongly recommend against this. The EoTG rule will mean your choppy character is just going to end up challenging out a unit champion which'll get ressurected again and again until you've failed that insane courage test. Which will be sooner rather than la... Actually no, you'll never pass it.
    Last edited by Tak; February 22nd, 2009 at 19:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend the Black Tongue/Infernal Puppet combo, as well as the sorceror with the BoS/Mark of Tzeentch for good flaming magic missiles. I would also recommend marking lots of things other than sorcerers Slaanesh, as it will prevent you from running from fear and terror.

I would mark as many of your sorcerers Tzeentch as possible, so you can go for pandaemonium, which will make him wary to cast with more than one dice. Your infernal puppet should be very useful here as well. Using it at the beginning of the phase as soon as his big caster starts throwing spells could mean you can kill him outright or end the magic phase immediately. The puppet will also help you alot to make sure you don't get hurt if you miscast.

Another thing I would recommend bringing is the rapturous standard. It goes great in knights.
    Last edited by BlackSheep; February 22nd, 2009 at 19:33. Reason: Typos
    No, I don't have any wool.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I've found sigvald to be a good choice, his 7 ASF attacks tend to clear a whole row of skeles or zombies. Thats if you want to go melee. Villitch is good if you want to go magic. Chaos kniights are an excellent choice. They are probably the only calvary unit that can match or even surpass blood knights. Plus they cause fear, so you can slame them into a big block of undead and not worry about auto breaking should you loose.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have played VC a couple of times now, both with and with out a cheesy Blood Knight unit.

Nurgle sorcers work well to snipe his general and bsb.

A unit of Khorne warriors with extra hand weapons also works well against skellies (the VC player refuses to use zombies ) they dont really have the S to negate your 4+ save and there shouldnt be many attacking back after you have struck.

If there are blood knights try and bait them with your hounds, either to a position where you can gain the flank or where they will not be able to hit your own flanks.

Mark of Slanesh or Khorne any Marauder Units you plan to take, even a possibility on your warriors.

Dont get a exalted stuck in a challange with a champion, as most VC players will raise them back either in their magic phase or when they attack with the tomb blade (i think its tht weapon). As for the vampires if your in base contact hit them, generally they wont have a decent save so will die when struck enough times.

Remember kill the general and your laughing, last time i played VC cloying Quagmire sucked the Vampire lord in to the mud my turn one! Oh how i laughed in side!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's your first game, get ready to lose, all first timers lose most of their games in the beginning, fantasy just has a much higher learning curve, my advice? throw everything you've got at his general, as soon as you kill him, is game over.
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Quote:
    Mabye put a character killing exhalted on a disk of tzeentch charge there general and thier dead.
    I'd have to strongly recommend against this. The EoTG rule will mean your choppy character is just going to end up challenging out a unit champion which'll get ressurected again and again until you've failed that insane courage test. Which will be sooner rather than la... Actually no, you'll never pass it.
    yeh your right maybe charge with a unit of knight and exhalted. Challange with the champion and exhalted and your laughing if it works(probably wont). Just try stop thier magic. Knights with encorled weapons will be able to take care of thier ethereal guys
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

Tak
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x2)

Actually, having looked into the book for nice VC specific items I'm liking the Banner of Rage on knights.

The extra attacks are nice and Vampires will have a difficulty baiting you, lacking any reliable method of removing a Warpuppy screen from long range. Nor can they really afford to bait it with anything if you can stop their Raise the Dead. Wraiths are all well and good for distracting something like frenzied Warriors but Knights with magical attacks will rip through them.

The real usefulness comes from not losing their frenzy if the unit loses a combat, which means... ItP! It's like marking them with Khorne and Slaanesh, and you can still make them Nurgle afterwards if that's your thing.

EDIT:
    I just realised... they cause Fear anyway. Stupid me >.<
    Last edited by Tak; February 24th, 2009 at 16:21.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast