Best overall Core unit option? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best overall Core unit option?

Hey all!

I guess this is pretty straight forward, what is your favourite core option and the reason you feel it is so.

Marauders:

Pros: Low cost means affordable in high numbers, which means high static combat res.
    So big cheap blocks

Cons: Poor stat line, low defense. Highly killable(especially vulnerable to artillery of all forms), low maneuverability.

Marauder Horsemen:

Pros: Highly maneuverable, highly customizable.

Cons: High cost considering stat line which is the same as their on-foot brethren(more then TRIPLE), low numbers, low stat line, very low defense.

Chaos Warriors:

Pros: High defense, high stat line, highly customizable.

Cons: High cost (almost 4 times that of marauders), low maneuverability.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so personally, I prefer Warriors after trying all of the options, backed up by two spawn to cover their flanks.

I see alot of marauder horsemen based lists, I just find that they are too easily neutralized before they get to their targets and then they just bounce or crumble in one combat round.

Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take warriors in preferance to all other core choices (hounds still have their place though). They are very killy, look awsome and the whole reason I started Chaos.

If I wanted marauders I'd still be using my empire army . (Plus I really don't like the miniatures)

Marauder horsemen look nice, and have their uses, but most of those can be done by warhounds (cheaper), or knights (better). Especially as I only take MoS, so no MoK flail cruise missles.

Admittedly this does mean I often have fairly small armies though. (Elite as they may be).

It is mainly a personal preference rather than tactical concern.
    Everything is better with smut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtinator View Post
    Hey all!
    Marauder Horsemen:

Pros: Highly maneuverable, highly customizable.

Cons: High cost considering stat line which is the same as their on-foot brethren(more then TRIPLE), low numbers, low stat line, very low defense.
    I'm sorry, but you missed out a whole lot on this option. Marauder Horsemen do not have 'the same stat line' as Marauders, and the differences more than even out the points increase.
    • Fast Cav - A move of 8 inches - the fastest thing next to a flyer and almost as maneuverable to boot.
    • +1 Armor Save (due to being mounted)
    • Unit Strength 2
    • An additional WS3 S3 attack from the mount, or two such attacks if frenzied.

In addition they can be given ranged weapons including the coveted throwing axe and can be given flails, probably the best non-magic weapon option of any mounted unit. Combine S5 attacks with the almost garunteed charge of 16" movement and fast cav manuvering and these bad boys absolutely blow the pants off of our other core choices. There's really no comparison.
    Trust in your core choices - love them, hate them, wish them dead to clear charges, but remember that come end they will pull off a miracle for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

For my core I like two warrior units and a M. horsemen unit.

Warriors are just solid and killy. M horsemen are very good and have many uses but I dont think they are good to take a whole bunch of. They are good destructive little missiles but they are very fragile. Put one unit out there and I think you can squeak em by but if you get too many running around they will just be easy arrow/cannon fodder. With T3 and a 6+ or 5+ save they are going to die easily. And at what 15-20 points a model that will be rough.

Now on the other hand they are the only real choice for an all cav army or simply an army that just wants to speicalize in mobility. I just prefer having a slower army since I feel I can get a more soid base out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I'm sorry, but you missed out a whole lot on this option. Marauder Horsemen do not have 'the same stat line' as Marauders, and the differences more than even out the points increase.
    • Fast Cav - A move of 8 inches - the fastest thing next to a flyer and almost as maneuverable to boot.
    • +1 Armor Save (due to being mounted)
    • Unit Strength 2
    • An additional WS3 S3 attack from the mount, or two such attacks if frenzied."
    A) I did mention that they are highly maneuverable, that was one of my main points.
    B ) All the +1 armor save does is make them the same as having shields, in order for them to have the same armor save as their un-mount counter parts, they lose their fast cavalry rule. (in other words very poor defense.)
    C) It still only takes one wound to kill them, no matter what unit strength they are, for the same cost you can get something unit strength almost double what a unit of 5 horsemen are.
    D) An extra WS3, STR3 attack? so IF you hit, you have 1/3 chance to wound and they still get their full armor save.

Yes they do have the same stat line... same WS, same STR, same Toughness, same initiative, same Leadership, same Attacks... how is this different from on-foot marauders?

Fast cavalry have their place, but as a main core choice? They fill this role pretty poorly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Love Marauder Horsemen (fast cavalry are win), but I'll take Warriors first. Core unit with 2+ save and a statline that scares the poop out of most Special choices? Yes please. Marauders come in a distant third, which isn't to say I dislike them; I simply prefer the other two. Marauders have their place, and I'm happy to have a unit along more often than not.

Marauder Horsemen are some of the best fast cav in the game, imo. Dark Riders and Empire Outriders(?, dudes with multi-shot handguns?) are serious contenders.
    Last edited by Dfred; February 25th, 2009 at 07:32.
    The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, I'd say as far as a hard hitting flanker yes they are probably the top,

(mark of khorne, flails)

but even with throwing axes and a mark that enables them to flee still as a charge reaction, I'd say they come in well below:

-Wood Elves
    -Dark Elves
    -Empire

I find it very hard to find room for them in my lists recently mostly because I think spawn provide better flank protection for a foot slogger army then they do.

The only Horsemen I've really seen do anything (if they even make it there in one peice) are the khorne & flails combo and they can do some serious damage. other wise I put their points into upgrades for other units.

I think the danger of our army list really is spreading points too thin to begin with, although, I'd love to see someones face when I put six units of 25 marauders with mark of tzeentch on the table. I'll agree with the first response and say I think it depends on personal taste, but I think the best overall option is Warriors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Personally at the moment im using 1 block of 25 marauders and 2 x 10 Warriors all marked with slaanesh

I find the CR5 on the marauders invaluable and i have always belived that every army should have at least 1 CR5 unit in it.

The warriors take so much punishment and survive they even took the charge of 3 TK chariots without loosing a wound and totally destroyed them in return.

Marauder horse have been a little meh fro me, dogs are better at screening, i don't want a march blocker, i want them to get into combat with me. I have war machine and mage hunters in the army already.... I see their use just not in my army im playing now

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

To be honest i like all 3 for different reasons.

Warriros are awesome, Very killy amazing statline that equals or beats most elite statlines of other races. They've got a wide range of weaponry to choose from so you can tailor them to what ever you want from them. They are as people have said very expensive and in my experience tend to get picked on alot. (quite rightly)

Marauders, well i'm going to disagree wit you on one point. Poor statline? In a chaos army yes but compared to most other troops in other armies? They're not bad, Hell if you're fighting an empire army you're better than most of their troops. Their WS 4 puts them on a par with most things and just like warriors the wide selection of weapon options gives you alot of flexibility. Added with the fact they can now have marks makes them even better in my opinion.

Marauder horsmen, Brilliant. Giving a generally slow army something fast, light, cheap and still amazingly hard hitting is worth its weight in gold. However i do beleive they get a bit too expensive when you start kitting them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Core.

Happened yesterday: A unit of five marauders horsemen with MoK and flails. Took three turns to get to the Bretonnian archery line, and they shot 4 out of 5 of them. The remaining Horsemen and his mount killed two bowmen. He won the combat by 1 point (two kills versus outnumbered. They broke, they fled (off the table). With the Damsel in their ranks.

I KNOW this is no proof of anything, but it really shows how much damage a MoK+Flail can dish out.

I wouldn't leave home without Chaos Warriors, too, unless I was planning on getting a big block of Chosen, which are very close to them.
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast